ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss How about some Holiday Lighting pics? - 11/28/01 08:31 PM
Anybody have any real elaborate Holiday Lighting near them? Some houses by me get real crazy with decorations and lights at this time of year. I often wonder what type of bills these people get, anybody know?

Maybe we could get some pictures posted here?

(I know of 1 person that pays between $300 and $350 per mo. just for Neon lighting inside his house that's on 24/7 !!)

Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: How about some Holiday Lighting pics? - 11/29/01 12:21 AM
I remember one or two news stories in recent years of people who have gone to town on the lights, but most houses are quite restrained here. I remember a lot of well-illuminated houses Christmas during my time in central Nebraska.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: How about some Holiday Lighting pics? - 11/29/01 03:56 AM
There are three houses in a culdesac [pardon the spelling!] not too far from us, that go to major extremes each year!

I'll ask the owners if I can get some shots, then post in ECN for everyone.

Scott SET
Posted By: electure Re: How about some Holiday Lighting pics? - 11/29/01 04:02 AM
Some of you may remember an absolutely terrible "Christmas Light" website with dangerous directions and pictures that rivalled any of Joe's or our violation photos. It got us so riled that Bill had to pull it from the BB. [Linked Image] (Early July).

I'm very pleased to report that the fellow responsible for this site has posted his previous "handiwork" with a big red "DON'T EVER DO THIS" on the picture. He further says that he is now going to use GFCI's, outdoor boxes with in-use covers, grounded, properly sized cords, etc., and tells all to consult Codes and follow them.
It could be a few of those flaming e-mails and BB posts he got woke him up.
They might have saved somebody's life.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-28-2001).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: How about some Holiday Lighting pics? - 12/03/01 04:49 AM
My Step-Father's Cousin has this setup:

Click Here

Triples his electric bill at about $300 and gets more "elaborate" every year...

I haven't got close enough to view the connections, wire sizes and ampacities...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-03-2001).]
Posted By: mamills Re: How about some Holiday Lighting pics? - 12/03/01 03:26 PM
Christmas time around here is a particularly ominous time of year for me (along with everything else I do, I'm a chauffer/engineer in the local Fire Department). During this time of year, we have some really nasty middle-of-the-night electrical fires caused by overloaded wall receptacles and extension cords. [Linked Image]
People leave the lights on all night long...

Mike (mamills)
Electure,

That's great news!

Here's a couple of Pictures from a House near Me. The photos don't really do it justice though, it can only catch some of the flashing lights.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bill
electure

What's the address for the "DON'T EVER DO THIS" pictures, etc.?
Thanks
Posted By: electure Re: How about some Holiday Lighting pics? - 12/04/01 12:35 PM
http://users.rttinc.com/~sylvanlights/welcome.htm
In the technical section, Electrical.(Other mentions of cords, etc. in various parts of the site)
This guy really does have some beautiful displays. [Linked Image]
There is a home in ABQ, NM that has created quite a stir recently. Not because of the lights nor the power required, but because the foot and vehicle traffic irritates the neighbors and though he collects money for the homeless, the city was thinking about prosecuting him for illegally operating 'a business'. Check it out at: http://www.kobtv.com/archive/2001/november/27/bugg.htm
Posted By: pauluk Re: How about some Holiday Lighting pics? - 12/04/01 11:05 PM
Now they're what I call lights!

While on the subject of safety as the festive season approaches, I know there must be some non-technical types browsing ECN.

I'm reminded of a tragic story reported here a couple of years ago in which a 6-year-old girl was killed while playing around the Christmas tree alone when she touched an exposed live part.

She was barefoot, and from the burn marks investigators deduced that she must have been standing up on the (grouuuded) radiator pipework to reach higher.

So please everyone, check those fairy light chains carefully for frayed wires and broken bulb holders before they go up on the tree this Christmas. Stay safe!
Posted By: Nick Re: How about some Holiday Lighting pics? - 12/05/01 02:24 AM
Scott35 & Scott(electure)
Have you ever heard of or seen the display in Chino off the 60 freeway about Euclid I think.
Any way it makes the papers every year and it’s now a tradition for people from all around to come and see it every year. The whole neighborhood, about 3 or 4 blocks gets together and decorates the WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD! Every house. The last couple of times I went you couldn’t drive through any more. The Police have to block off the neighborhood and direct traffic on surrounding streets for weeks before Christmas. It’s as crowded as walking through Disneyland. If I go this year all see if I can get some pictures that do it justice.
Just checked out the Sylvan lights site, all I can say is WOW....this guy must be either retired or takes his vacation time in December. All the stuff is hand made, talent abound at that house.
Have just one question though, it appears as though there is plastic covering the wires above the subpanel. What er.....why would plastic need to be there?
SQ #2.....thanks Tiff
I enjoy 'twinkle light' parades, too, and this past weekend gave us a pretty one that made front page news for our small town paper.
(mutter, mutter... image didn't quite work out...) check it out online at http://www.angelfire.com/nm2/brenshome/HolidayPics.html

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 12-05-2001).]
Posted By: electure Re: How about some Holiday Lighting pics? - 12/06/01 12:49 PM
Nick,
I've seen that display (old shop was @ 60&15). It's a winner!
Tiffany,
I think that Sylvan's new site and consideration for electrical safety may be partly attributed to "somebody you know" [Linked Image]
At any rate, I'm gonna send Sylvan congrats and thanks for "seeing the light" when it comes to safety.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-06-2001).]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: How about some Holiday Lighting pics? - 12/13/01 01:27 AM
Hi everyone,

Here's the pic's of the 3 houses in the culdesac I mentioned and planned to post.

I have invited the owner of one house to view these shots here, so hopefully He can join in and answer any Qs that come up.

P.S. Nick, I think we have seen the area in Chino you mentioned. My Wife and I did some "Christmas Lights Display Cruisin'" out that way one year.

Scott. S.E.T.

---images below---

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

posted 12/12/2001 - 17:23:00 PST
Scott,

Great pictures!
Just curious, what is the usual temperature out there at this time of year? Any 'White Christmas(es?)' out that way? It's something that we've always wished for out my way.

Bill
Posted By: Scott35 Re: How about some Holiday Lighting pics? - 12/14/01 03:15 AM
Bill,

The only places near me with "White Christmases" would be in the San Bernardino & San Gabriel Mountains, The Cleveland National Forest, and on occasion the High Deserts [like where Nick lives].

We live in the basin, so snowfall around here is somewhat akin to the old statement:
Snowball's Chance In He..
There has been a few freak storms which brought snow in our area - at levels of maybe 0.25" in patches.
Kind of the amount that you guys in Vermont, Maine, Colorado and upstate New York brush off the windshield! [Linked Image]

Tuesday Morning [around 4:30 AM], the Temperature was down to 38 F. This morning it was 44 F at 4:30 AM.
Can't count on the accuracy of the E*Trade Billboard displaying this off the 605 freeway, but it was closely averaged with the other 100 Billboards in that certain 15 mile stretch, which display time and temperature [between I-5 and the 60, or the 60 and the 210].
:P.S. I just added the freeway references for those in this area to laugh about.

Winter storms around here normally bring us a gang load of rainfall from offshore born systems. These storms are usually accompanied by [somewhat] warm air, unless they are "Artic" storms [from Alaska / Aleutian Islands areas]- then they are really cold ones!

We get odd weather patterns here. When the Hurricanes come up from Equatorial zones and hang around Baja, we can get very unstable systems - from Heatwaves to Tornadoes.

Summers are normally the hottest from August to just before the Autuminal Equinox [September 21/22]. This is called "Indian Summer" and is normally a result of large Pacific Hurricanes.
The good thing about being on the "East" side of Pacific Storms is that they rarely hit land. Pacific Hurricanes are massive as compared to Atlantic ones, but they rarely run into highly populated areas like their Atlantic Sisters do.

We Southern Californians are such 'Weather Wusses" it must make everyone else sick from all the whining! When the roads get moist, people freak out!
OH NO!! It's Moist Outside!!!

The TV News isn't any better either. My Wife and I still make jokes about the guy that reported being "Pelted with 4 to 5 raindrops" and was dead serious! [Linked Image]

When it hails somewhere, people just come unglued! If it hails here, I grab something to use as a makeshift sled, then go "Hailsledding" down the grassy dugout parts of the Public Park nextdoor. Lasts a good 5 minutes, sometimes more. People are very puzzled by this odd sledding technique during such a "Tramatic Time"
My Goodness Man, There's Ice Falling From The Sky And Here You Are Playing In It!.

I'm just poking fun at our weather and trying to incorporate a little bit O' humor with it.

Scott SET
Posted By: Nick Re: How about some Holiday Lighting pics? - 12/14/01 03:31 AM
I have lived in my house for 6 years and we have seen 1 white Christmas. The first year we were here. I live a about 3200ft above sea level so we get a little snow during really cold storms. It usually doesn’t last long though. Scott lives about 900ft ASL so snow is quite rare. I don't know if I am just being a wimp or if it's because I am working nights, but it has been really cold here the last few weeks. Down in the teens at night. You know, shorts and t-shirt weather for you easterners. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 12-13-2001).]
© ECN Electrical Forums