ECN Forum
Posted By: luckyshadow pvc coated rigid - 12/15/05 12:20 AM
We are currently doing a project with a massive amount of pvc coated rigid conduit.
Here in Maryland it is referred to as
" Rob Roy" No one is sure why - Do any of you know ?
Posted By: hbiss Re: pvc coated rigid - 12/15/05 01:37 AM
It's the name of one company that makes the stuff. robroy.com

Guess it's called that just like Scotch tape, Xerox or Band Aid is generic for every other brand.

-Hal
Posted By: jwhite Re: pvc coated rigid - 12/15/05 02:41 AM
romex, bx, madison strap, unistrut, minerlac strap...... the list goes on.
Posted By: tkb Re: pvc coated rigid - 12/15/05 08:11 PM
RobRoy is one of the brands also Permacote.

I have installed a lot of it.
Have you install it before?
I could share some tips if you would like.
What are you using to cut and thread it with?
Posted By: hbiss Re: pvc coated rigid - 12/15/05 10:09 PM
One of the trade mags a couple of months back had an in depth article on cutting and threading this stuff.

You can't just use regular threading tools. The hole in the die head has to be enlarged to accommodate the extra diameter of the pipe due to the PVC coating. There are also padded vice jaws so you don't damage the coating.

-Hal
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: pvc coated rigid - 12/17/05 11:04 PM
I have worked with this stuff before. It can be a real pain if you let it. We have no problem threading it, we bought some steel plates that go between the conduit and the jaws on the threader to prevent damage to the coating. The only problem we seem to be running into is the seals in our benders are starting blow. I think it is more of a benders age problem then a pvc coated rigid problem. But any ideas are more then welcome. Thanks
Posted By: master66 Re: pvc coated rigid - 12/18/05 03:24 AM
We did a sewage plant and used pvc coated rigid. The company that sold us the conduit provided a threader for upto 4" coated and some special dies for smaller pipe (3/4 & 1")for our pony threader. Depending on how big your job is, maybe you could do the same.
© ECN Electrical Forums