ECN Forum
Posted By: BigB Sharpening a Step bit - 11/23/05 01:11 AM
Anyone ever try to sharpen a step bit? I did a search and came up emptyhanded. Also asked 3 sharpening guys and they all said they couldn't do it. Mine is ruined anyway, I'd like to at least give it a try.
Posted By: e57 Re: Sharpening a Step bit - 11/23/05 01:43 AM
I have done it in a pinch with an angle grinder. But for the most part those guys are disposable. Unless you know some one with the XT3000, and add-on module for step drills. Shown further down on the page. Total for bit sharpening equipment ~$3500!
http://www.saw-toolsharpening.com/DrillSharpeningEquipment.html
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Sharpening a Step bit - 11/23/05 03:32 AM
The sharpening guys are incorrect. A step bit is sharpened lik a counter-sink would be, not as a drill is.
Of course, a sharpening shop has no way to repair any coating that the bit may have had.

You're looking for a shop whose sharpening machine says "Cleveland," and not "Drill Doctor."
Posted By: iwire Re: Sharpening a Step bit - 11/23/05 10:17 AM
Time wasted finding a person that can sharpen them.

Time wasted dropping the bit off with that person.

Time wasted going to pick up the bit after sharpening.

Much quicker and cheaper (if you value your time) to toss it and order a new one.

By the way not letting it get dull helps a lot. [Linked Image]

Part of that is keeping it cool, if I have a bunch of holes to make I will keep a cup of water near me to keep dipping the unibit in between holes.

I had to make about 70 1/2"holes in a trough, I put the unibit in my Hole hog, put the trough on floor and laid all my weight into the drill. In between each hole I dipped the bit into the water. After making the 70 holes the bit was still in great shape.

It also was done in just a few minutes. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: JCooper Re: Sharpening a Step bit - 11/24/05 12:33 AM
I keep my step bits going by drilling in low speed and using dark cutting oil before I begin, cuts cleaner, faster and with less wear on the bit.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Sharpening a Step bit - 11/24/05 01:05 AM
Hmm. Never heard of the cold water bit, I'll have to try that next time. Thanks for the tip!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sharpening a Step bit - 11/24/05 01:35 AM
I assume by Step Drills, you guys mean something like a Cone Cut?.
They can be sharpened by hand and I've done it a few times with the couple that I own.
Thing is, like sharpening any cutting tool, you have to have the angle exactly right, otherwise you'll end up with a worse result than what you started off with.
Best to look after them while they are sharp though.
Posted By: LK Re: Sharpening a Step bit - 11/24/05 01:49 AM
"By the way not letting it get dull helps a lot.

Part of that is keeping it cool, if I have a bunch of holes to make I will keep a cup of water near me to keep dipping the unibit in between holes."

Bob, i have been using cup of water since i started using step bits, with good results, good post, as far as sharpen, not worth the time, we have a built in tooling charge, for all jobs, so cost is never a problem.
Posted By: BigB Re: Sharpening a Step bit - 11/24/05 02:17 AM
Thanks for the replies...I usually try to take care of my bits but I accidentally plowed through stucco with this one and ruined it instantly. I already bought a replacement but I thought if I could sharpen the old one for a backup....you know, on one of those rare Sunday afternoons when you are tinkering in your shop or garage while taste testing a few brews.
Posted By: iwire Re: Sharpening a Step bit - 11/24/05 06:16 AM
I usually try to take care of my bits but I accidentally plowed through stucco with this one and ruined it instantly.

That certainly stinks, and no doubt it did a number on the bit. That is frustrating.

I assume by Step Drills, you guys mean something like a Cone Cut?.

[Linked Image from images.google.com]
Posted By: HCE727 Re: Sharpening a Step bit - 11/24/05 09:10 AM
I have a guy who does all of my sharpening, he is an old Itialian guy, who is the best! He gets stuff sent to him from all over the US. He has done a couple of step bits for me and they are like new! A&A Tool Sharpening, 788 Garrett Rd. Upper Darby, PA 19082. Tel. 610-352-4499. With all of my bits he tells me "you bringum to me furst, I tell you good no good". When this guy goes, there will be nobody who does it like him, a real craftsman!!!!!
© ECN Electrical Forums