ECN Forum
Posted By: gary long 2 neut's under one set screw - 11/20/01 05:50 AM
I know that some panel's say that this is allowed but I am against it. Two grounding conductor's is fine under one screw but two grounded conductor's under one screw will not work for me..I was putting this out there to see the response. " whyrag "
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: 2 neut's under one set screw - 11/20/01 12:31 PM
See the 2002 NEC, 408.21 Grounded Conductor Terminations.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-22-2001).]
Posted By: Tom Re: 2 neut's under one set screw - 11/20/01 09:36 PM
Gary,

I've not seen many panels that allow two grounded conductors under one screw. if you run across one & you only do one screw-one wire, more power to you since you have exceeded the minimum requirements of the NEC.

Wish I could have made the message icon a BIG thumbs up. Always glad to see a job that is better than the minimum.

Tom
Posted By: sparky Re: 2 neut's under one set screw - 11/21/01 01:28 AM
I'm having a bit of trouble with 408.21 EX , what is parrallel conductors in ref to?
Posted By: Nick Re: 2 neut's under one set screw - 11/21/01 04:48 AM
Sparky,
Isn't that parallel runs as in 310-4?I would assume that because parallel conductors are considered electrically as one the hazards associated with disconnecting them when under one terminal goes away.
Posted By: sparky Re: 2 neut's under one set screw - 11/21/01 11:39 AM
yes, ok...well it would be for bigger conductors. Let's say we have the the usual #12's etc, in a residential panel Is this cycle the end of placing a grounding & grounded ( N&G) under one screw? [Linked Image] If so, will panel listings that allow this change?
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: 2 neut's under one set screw - 11/21/01 12:37 PM
Some of the exceptions to 310.4 could be considered also.
Posted By: Tom Re: 2 neut's under one set screw - 11/21/01 07:48 PM
Got my new code book last night & I see that 2 neutrals under one screw is pretty much a thing of the past.

Now, if they would just eliminate 2 eq. grounds under 1 screw, I wouldn't have to worry about straining my eyes on all that tiny print.
Posted By: pauluk Re: 2 neut's under one set screw - 11/21/01 11:02 PM
I never looked that closely at panels while over there. Are most neutral busbar terminals the type where the end of the screw clamps down onto the wire inserted in a hole, or do they have flat plates clamped down on the wire by the screw like most receptacles?

Sparky:
I don't have a problem with the common neutral/ground busbar, but I'm not sure I like the idea of using the same screw for a branch cct. N & G. If the N & G stay connected firmly together (twisted maybe?) but the connection to the bar works loose while an appliance is connected the "ground" on that cct. is going to float right up to 120V. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Nick Re: 2 neut's under one set screw - 11/21/01 11:29 PM
Sparky,
According to Mike Holt this has been a UL listing requirement for many years. 408.21 is just making this a NEC requirement too. This way all of us in the general masses, who can’t afford to buy all UL’s literature, are aware of it’s existence.
Posted By: fedup Re: 2 neut's under one set screw - 11/23/01 01:00 AM
if joe blo that owns station wagon electic
is doing the job you can bet it is to minimums.But I don't work that way.I want people to call me back to do more work,not to fix the work i did last month.That is what craftsmanship and pride means to me.
© ECN Electrical Forums