ECN Forum
Posted By: dmattox Fun little project I am finishing up... - 10/16/05 04:24 AM
Boss gave me an interesting project, a bit different than doing a tilt-up thankfully [Linked Image]

Open ceilings in most places. They were going to paint everything black, but the designer loved the work my guys did. Unfortunately, it meant a lot of work for the painters to tape off all our conduits and unistrut.

[Linked Image from dmattox.dyndns.org]

The bottom floor had open ceilings with exposed can lights. I didn't think this was going to look good, but it turned out nice. With all the black you just see points of light coming out of the darkness. Its a pretty cool effect in person.

Above the doors they had custom made structures that we put downlights into:

Some areas had hanging ceiling tile structures. They would have been pretty cool, except for all the earthquake wiring thats required here in California.

More pics on my website: http://dmattox.dyndns.org/Gallery/imageviewer.exe?/Gallery/Electrical%20Portfolio/Reynolds/

It was fun, but a ton of work for such a small space. Next week I'll go over the numbers with my boss to see if we made any money on it [Linked Image]
Posted By: Cow Re: Fun little project I am finishing up... - 10/16/05 05:06 AM
Nice work, looks like a very clean install. I can understand why the designer liked your conduit runs. Now hopefully you didn't lose money on it.
Very sharp looking work.
DM, looks great, and like it was fun to do. (I know, I'm a masochist myself).

One question: can you explain the two EMT's side-by-side on the strut in the first pic? Maybe a close-up, too.
Posted By: dmattox Re: Fun little project I am finishing up... - 10/16/05 05:12 PM
I assume you are asking how they are strapped Larry?

I used a unistrut union with two holes. In the center I drilled a hole for a 1/4-20 to go through to a spring nut. Fortunately, the predrilled holes are distanced perfectly to hold the Mineralcs.

The change in depth also happened to exactly be the depth of a box offset, so we were able to use our offset benders to get the exact depth.

Unfortunately, they told us everything was going to get painted, so I used some green unions that we had at the shop. But I think I’m the only one that has noticed it.
Nice looking work. I love a job that leaves our work exposed for all to see. You can put your name on that job with pride.

Rob
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Fun little project I am finishing up... - 10/16/05 11:16 PM
DM:
Nice! Good to see a pride-in-workmanship crew & company.

John
© ECN Electrical Forums