ECN Forum
Posted By: Bert66 power crimper - 10/06/05 03:23 PM
I'm doing lots of service work now and I'm looking for a battery powered crimper. I've seen the in the past but don't remember the brand or even who was using it. I think this would be a handy tool aside from the old manual crimpers. Any help would be great. Thanks, Bert
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: power crimper - 10/06/05 04:42 PM
I have the greenlee gator CCX.

It's like a cordless drill crimper.

Expensive, not sure if it is worth it if all you do are residential H-taps.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: power crimper - 10/07/05 01:46 AM
As I see it, you have two options, based upon your work.

Greenlee has a model with replaceable heads- so the same tool can be used for crimping, cutting (even ACSR), and driving knock-out punches.

If all you do is crimp, I would suggest a model that does not use interchangeable dies. This will save you the trouble of sorting through siffering pieces all the time.

Some parts houses will allow you to "lease" them; that is, pay for them over time.

Other parts houses will lend you a set to use, as needed.

Finally- the obvious- make sure the model you buy is compatable with what your parts house stocks!
Posted By: hypress Re: power crimper - 10/07/05 03:04 AM
We have a battery operated version of a Burndy Y644M dieless crimper and it does an exelent job. I think it cost about 3000.00
Posted By: iwire Re: power crimper - 10/07/05 10:27 AM
The company has at least one Burndy cordless, dieless crimper and it works great.

I do not know what they cost.

They also have the Greenlee Gator equipped with the large cutting head.

I will gladly use it over hand cutters [Linked Image], it is able to cut three 600 CUs at one time. That is handy when doing demo. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-07-2005).]
Posted By: sparky970 Re: power crimper - 10/08/05 04:12 PM
Working construction at a pulp mill for the past 8 yrs, we aquired two Greenlee Gator crimpers and one cutter. They have a high initial cost, but over the last 5 years that we've used them, they have more than paid for themselves. It really makes working with 4/0 and larger much easier and faster. The batteries hold up really well. 75 individual crimps on 500 MCM. They are also very durable, except, avoid getting sand on them.
© ECN Electrical Forums