ECN Forum
Posted By: ckeck Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/29/05 05:38 AM
Hey everyone, its about that time to purchase some new power tools and I was just looking for recommendations.

I would prefer DeWalt or Craftsman, but I can't decide between the two. Anyone have a preference one way or the other?

Thanks
Posted By: Tiger Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/29/05 12:11 PM
My corded tools are Porter-Cable and my cordless tools are Panasonic. I'd replace them with the same.

Dave
Posted By: IanR Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/29/05 01:41 PM
Personally I think very highly of Milwaukee tools. I've always had good luck with them. As for your question I'd go with DeWalt. 'had good luck with them too. I have had some Craftsman power tools that were down right junk. For instance, I got my dad a Craftsman cordless drill for father's day once. Would you believe the battery took a crap after only a few months. Turns out they don't warranty power tools like their hand tools and a new battery was almost the cost of a new drill. I told them where they could go and bought him a DeWalt. Been quite a few years and it still runs strong with the original battery.
Just my $.02
Posted By: electricbill Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/29/05 09:05 PM
go with De Walt...sears is JUNK 90 day warranty and you'll be using it! De Walt has a MUCH better customer service.
i like the porter cable and bosch corded tools.
milwaukee tools,unfortunately,seem to have losing in the quality dept. lately.
bill
Posted By: ckeck Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/29/05 10:13 PM
Looks like I will be going with DeWalt. Doesn't seem to be many people happy with the Craftsman power tools. I was considering them because they are my favorite hand tools...glad I checked.

Thanks for the input everyone...if anyone else has any additional input, please chime in.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/29/05 10:20 PM
I'd go with DeWalt. They have a fine line of power tools. The cordless 14.4 drill I have now has lasted over 3 years and I've never had a problem with it. DeWalt also has that cool radio that charges batteries while it's plugged in. That unto itself is a great feature. My hand tools are all Klein. No sense wasting money on junky tools if being an electrician is your primary source of income.
Posted By: MikeK3145 Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/29/05 11:12 PM
Any recommendation would depend on exactly which tools you're looking for. I'm less than keen on Craftsman power tools for professional use. By and large they're made by the same company that makes tools for Ryobi. They may be fine for DIYer or occasional use but aren't engineered for professional use. I haven't bought a new DeWalt tool in maybe 10 years but haven't heard a lot of good things about them lately.

So what tools are you looking to buy?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/30/05 12:35 AM
I have a few general guidelines when it comes to deciding what to buy.

If I have to borrow it more than twice...it's time to get my own.

I try to have a different brand or model than everyone else...makes it harder for them to get mixed up.

When trying out a new type of tool, I will usually get a cheap import POS....just to see if the thing is worth having. If the concept prooves out, I get a quality version. Thenh the POS is relegated to home/ spare/ lending use.

I'm not averse to making (or modifying) tools to suit my specific work.

As far as power tools are concerned, there is a lot to be said for trying to get tools which use the same charger (good) or batttery (better). For this to work, you need to anticipate your future tool needs- will you really need that cordless angle grinder? What about a small vacuum?

Be extremely wary of marketing hype.....some of those Madison Avenue types are so slick, they can give an Eskimo the urge to run out and buy the "new and improved" snow! Some of this is blatant....as in ads, while some is quite subtle. There is a reason everything at Sears is shiny, and wrapped so nice!

I also play down any kind of "brand loyalty." Often a company will have an excellent tool...as well as a mediocre tool....and a piece of junk!
Posted By: BobbyHo Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/30/05 01:19 AM
Reno,there is a battery drill by a company called Fesstool. These are expensive battery drills and I think they are only 12 volt but seem to be awesome. I saw a carpenter with these and he told me he bought 12 for all his guys. I think they are like 450.00 or something. I thought they were great but I had just bought a Milwaukee kit. Maybe when it's time to replace. Although I do have the Milwaukee radio now.
Posted By: scameron81 Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/30/05 02:57 AM
I finally took the plunge and bought the cordless milwaukee bandsaw with the V-28 battery. I fell in love the first day I had it. Its just like have the corded one without the hassle of the cord. Some of the other guys have bought the four piece milwaukee v-28 kit and they swear by them as well. I haven't used them yet personally but if they are anything like the bandsaw they must be pretty darn good.

I do like Dewalt as well because they have such a variety of tools for the 18v series. My truck is completly cordless except for the hole hawg (still waiting for that one.)
Posted By: ckeck Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/30/05 05:54 AM
DeWalt it is - thanks for all the input...

As far as hand tools go, I really do like Craftsman and Klein...especially Craftsman because of the design and their guarantee. Any thoughts on the standard hand tools?
Posted By: electure Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/30/05 11:04 AM
Oh, scameron.
I want one of those cordless bandsaws :jealousy: [Linked Image]

Ckeck, I can just tell you that I have a mix of many different brands of hand tools. I think that the "brand loyalty" thing should give way decisions based on an individual case by case basis.
For Instance: Channellock makes great channellocks, Crescent's crescent wrenches are good, Vise Grip Vice Grips....well you get it.
Posted By: ckeck Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/30/05 03:27 PM
electure,

Very true - that answers my question.
Posted By: trollog Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 09/30/05 11:50 PM
Gotta give a thumbs down on the DeWalt radio-

where's the CD player?
where do I plug in my mp3 player?

The battery charger on the thing is a good idea, but who doesn't integrate a battery charger these days? Of all the work radios I thing the bosch is the best (probably also the ugliest..) Too bad none of my cordless stuff is bosch. think when my drill dies I'll just bite my lip and get the milwaukee set. Their radios get second prize in my book.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/01/05 02:42 AM
... Cordless tools?? In my honest opinion,..De-Fault(is mine for buying this garbage),..I mean DeWon't(work anymore),..sorry,I meant to say DeWorst,..(oops I did it again) DeWalt,.was the crummiest 18 volt Hammer drill I ever owned..I had 2 of them,they commited suicide,I had them repaired by DeWarranty??("you must be joking,this isn't covered by de warranty")and got them back in WORSE condition than when I sent them out..They ran slower,and the clutch mechanism always stripped out..After buying 5 batteries,their reciprocating saw,and the flashlight,I finally chucked them all,and went with Milwaukee,..they may not be made in USA anymore(but can you genuinely tell me WHAT is?)they are a better tool,..and I now have the 18 volt set for my 2nd truck,and the V-28 set for my truck,..can't beat 'em..

... For corded tools, I have the Porter-Cable Tiger recipro-saw,a Milwaukee Hole Hawg,a Milwaukee Magnum 1/2"chuck hammer-drill,a Hitachi spline drive 1-1/8"rotary hammer,a dopey Craftsman "roto-zip" knock-off(which I never use)and my baby,..a 75th Anniversary Limited Edition Super Sawz-all,with the chrome gear case,and black metal case,.(its too pretty for work,so I keep it in the office [Linked Image] [Linked Image]..I also own a Delta mitre chop-saw,..a Porter-Cable 7-1/4" circular saw..I also have a Milwaukee SDS plus rotary hammer drill,I think that's it... [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
... Oh, and for aural stimulation,I bought the Bosch "Power Box",..I can't use it to charge batteries,because I don't own any Bosch tools,but I bought it for the sound,..It is a CD player,and AM/FM radio,and the sound is outrageous!! It's a funky looking cube with tubular re-inforcements all around it.. pretty cool!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image from images.amazon.com]

I LOVE TOOLS!!!!
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 09-30-2005).]
Posted By: Cow Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/01/05 03:19 AM
Trollog

The Milwaukee radio doesn't charge batteries. Also, the Dewalt has a port to plug in a CD player.

[This message has been edited by Cow (edited 09-30-2005).]
Posted By: shooter Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/01/05 03:43 AM
My first cordless was a skil 12 v top gun lasted 10yrs my now defunct dewalt system has 3 dead soldiers and numerous batterie's depleted and not chargable within a year on each battery. my apprentices are buying ryobie with good luck and good power for cheap.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/01/05 08:32 AM
I use a Metabo corded Drill, A Bosch Angle grinder a 12V Panasonic Cordless Drill
and all sorts of hand tools.
Apart from my screwdrivers, no two of my tools are the same brand. [Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/01/05 03:47 PM
I know "more power" is the general rule but I have been very happy with my 9v Makita drill/driver. I can get it into smaller places and it is light enough that you can hold it over your head all day.
It is still powerful enough to break off screws.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/01/05 07:21 PM
For corded tools, I have the Milwaukee right-angle drill with the removable two-speed angle head. I want to get the 30" angled extension for it. Plus, a Bosch SDS-max rotary hammer. This is the best tool in the world for drilling in masonry or concrete, and for driving ground rods, too.

I have a trio of DeWalt 24-volt tools: the hammer-drill, reciprocating saw, and circular saw. Thses tools are as powerful as their corded versions, and I also have the battery eliminator. See: http://www.dewalt.com/us/cordless/cordless_systems/24volt.asp

As for worn-out batteries, there is a store near me called Batteries Plus that will rebuild any battery pack for 3.50 per cell, if I remember correctly. Just divide your battery voltage by 1.2 to determine the cell count.
Posted By: Tripp Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/02/05 03:11 AM
I'm hunting for a ground-rod pounder bit to fit my DeWalt corded rotary-hammer drill. Local parts-house quoted me $77.00 for the DeWalt 3/4" spline (DW 5785). That was a bit (ar-ar) more than i was hoping to spend. Any thoughts by anyone else?
Posted By: georgestolz Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/02/05 04:24 AM
Attic Rat,

Do you think the Bosch boom-box sounds better than the Milwaukee? Personally, I thought the Bosch sounds very tinny, where the Milwaukee with the Rockford/Fosgate speakers just sounds like thumping heaven on earth. [Linked Image]

That said, when the last of my Milwaukee 18V tools croak, I am going to line them up and drive over them with my van with extreme prejudice. Well, maybe not. But I won't be replacing them with Milwaukee again.

I've decided that Ryobi will be just fine. 1/2 the price, lasts as long, more money for beer. [Linked Image]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/02/05 10:09 PM
Tripp, that price sounds correct.
Posted By: Fred Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/03/05 12:04 AM
Tripp, I have the same Dewalt rotary hammer. I bought a chisel for it on clearance for $10.00 and took it to the welding shop where we cut off the chisel end and slid a piece of 1" rigid 10" long over the shank about 4" and welded it with low alloy/low hydrogen rod. The chisel end does the driving on the rod and the pipe acts as a guide. It has worked great for 5 years now and I have about $30.00 invested.
Posted By: dmattox Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/03/05 12:15 AM
The advantage of the higher end tools, I've found is also their disadvantage. Milwaukee and Dewalt are so powerful that they and their batteries are easily destroyed when you push them beyond what a cordless should do.

When my milwaukee set dies, I'll go w/ ryobi. Less than half the cost, a great value. I bought a set for my dad for fathers day and he uses it every day professionally. Yes my milwaukee can out drill it, but should it? If the ryobi can't do it, its time to get out the corded drill.
Posted By: Tripp Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/03/05 02:35 AM
Sounds like a good creative solution, Fred. But explain this part to me again: you say you cut off the chisel end, then later you say the chisel end does the driving on the rod." What did I miss?

Also, my DeWalt is the smaller size - only takes up to 1" bit. Same with yours?
Posted By: Fred Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/03/05 11:31 AM
Tripp, We cut off the chisel end of the shank leaving the hex shank as long as possible and welded the 1" pipe overlapping the shank. I should have said the shank end drives the rod. My Dewalt is the DW531. Bits are spline and chisels and bullpoints are hex.
Posted By: DSpanoudakis Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/03/05 11:56 AM
I guess it's your luck of the actual tool. I've had my 19.2V Craftsman cordless for over a year now and use it everyday. Same batteries, same drill, hasn't crapped out yet. Yes, it is 90-day warranty, but if you buy the extended warranty for about $15 more, they'll replace the unit entirely for 2 years, you can't go wrong with that.
Posted By: Tripp Re: Need new tools...recommendations? - 10/04/05 02:13 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Fred.
© ECN Electrical Forums