ECN Forum
Who invented wire for conducting electricity?

Question by Ed Pores
Brown and Sharpe?
Western Union ?
Always heard copper wire was invented by 2 lawyers fighting over a penny. [Linked Image]
NORCAL, that is very funny. [Linked Image]

You got me laughing out loud over that. [Linked Image]
South Wire
There is evidence to suggest that batteries were used for electroplating in Persia (Iran) a couple thousand years ago. This would suggest that wires have been in use for quite a long time.

See http://www.iranchamber.com/history/articles/parthian_battery.php or do a search for 'parthian battery'

-Jon
The English physicist Stephen Gray discovered electrical conductivity in 1729
I was told that copper was the original telegraph wire- replaced by steel for strength.
I thought everyone knew it was Benjamin Flintstone.
Hans Christian Oersted 1820
I heard it was Joe Tedesco. [Linked Image]
Not true, this guy was the inventer, and he was showing us his new invention.

[Linked Image]

PS: I think Winnie got it right.
I hope he's not going to try and re-warm his burger-meal on those bus-bars; that could prove lethal. Food poisoning is a serious risk unless you achieve 145F! [Linked Image]

Persian battery-pots for plating metals? Do me a favor, I didn't float down the Thames on a chocolate biscuit yesterday! Yeah, right, I know, aliens built the pyramids, and sailed across the Atlantic to S. America on straw bales etc. etc. etc..
My best guess on this question is; we will never really know, but my money is on still on Good Ol' Ben.

(PS. this thread has been posted before; see the posts on that too.)

Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 10-01-2005).]
...but my money is on still on Good Ol' Ben.

... Affleck?? or Stiller?? personally I was under the impression that Tony Lombardi invented the wire,as the NM wire I have reads,"Made with Pride by Tony Lombardi" stamped into the jacket..?? what gives??
Russ
............Russ,
now I have coffee in my nostrils and the keyboard
that guy looks like the Start-up dude for the gear , is that a gas can in the woods?
© ECN Electrical Forums