ECN Forum
Posted By: shortcircuit Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/07/05 11:05 AM
EM:HE is coming to my area to film a show and provide a new home for a family in need.

I've been selected to be the project manager for the electrical work on the home.

The home, just over 3000sq ft, must be built in 106 hours. I will have 6hrs to rough and 6hrs to finish.

I am organizing a crew of 24 electricians (volunteers) to take on the challenge...

Anyone on this site been a part of extreme makeover?

shortcircuit
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/07/05 11:24 AM
Man that is awesome, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Great show, they got a good thing going.

They help out some really good folks, and I get choked up at the end, right after:

"Bus Driver----Move that Bus"...

Dnk.......
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/07/05 01:02 PM
Just don't do work like these guys:
http://www.nbc5.com/money/4638758/detail.html

Make sure you keep us updated on when it will air so I know when to watch. And if you can, squeeze in a shout out to ECN so we know which guy is you.

So I assume this is all volunteer work? I'd be curious to know what a gig like this pays, if you are at liberty to discuss. May be best to wait until after the show to disclose. I know I'd be less hesitant to volunteer for someone making good money.
Posted By: Cow Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/07/05 01:44 PM
That link JPS posted is quite an eye opener. The way they installed the furnace for example.

I think I would definitely be a nice change of pace to work on something like that. I don't think I would want to run a job like that though. 24 electricians working under you, probably some you've never met. Not knowing the quality of their work and how much babysitting you might have to do. All the while Ty is screaming in a megaphone 10 feet from your ear to "hurry up people, we got a house to build." Seems like there would be a lot of code violations being rushed like that and not being able to do a good job. Not to mention working around the 100 other people trying to get their job finished as well. Good Luck.

Letting the family see the house at the end is definitely very cool though. Makes it all worthwile.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/07/05 03:36 PM
I have heard similar stories about "this old house".
The one that really makes me wonder is "trading spaces" (or "screw up your neighbor's house").

I don't know how they get AHJs to go along with this.
Posted By: Tiger Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/07/05 04:11 PM
Your moto can be...

"Sleep?...I can sleep when I'm dead!"

Have Fun!

Dave
Posted By: hbiss Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/07/05 04:23 PM
Man that is awesome, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
Great show, they got a good thing going...

Really?? If I were you I would stay far away from something like that, wouldn't want my name associated with it. Has to be the most idiotic show on TV.

At least This Old House has a realistic schedule. What does this have besides some moron yelling FASTER!

I think that link to the news story says it all.

-Hal
Posted By: sberry27 Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/07/05 07:27 PM
I have never seen the show but I can see it being done if other conditions are ready. I would certainly pre-sort the materials, have wire rigged on spools, devices stripped out of the packages and many pre-wired, pigtailed etc, temp power and battery tools all ready. Might be tempted to have some boxxed up for upstairs, downstairs etc, whatever I could think of so the fumbling was kept to a minimum.
Posted By: Tiger Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/07/05 07:55 PM
Hopefully in your 6 hours to rough there won't also be...

24 plumbers
24 tin benders
24 rockers
24 tapers
24 carpenters
24 painters
24 decorators

Dave
Posted By: Jim M Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/08/05 12:55 AM
You might want to catch up with Randy (Lostazhell). He was involved with this show about a year ago.
Posted By: e57 Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/08/05 01:32 AM
If you're going to do it, do it right. Everytime I see shows like that, all I can see is slash and dash. I guess thats the idea?

Do they even have a plan? Hope it has lots of sofets to run through. If not, ask for some in the design. Makes them look slow, and you look like a speed demon.

Might I suggest my favorite layout method, SPRAY PAINT! Run in spray the lay out. Another guy goes in drills the nessesary holes, next two pull wire. Another two land and staple. Splice.... "Cut - thats a wrap."

Dare I say it, its cheezy. But for the sake of us all, look good doing it. And do it well! If you really want to look cool, get all agro, and demand the job be done right, or not at all. The cameras love it....
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/08/05 02:07 PM
I don't know if I would classify the whole project/show as a bunch of 2nd rate contractors taking shortcuts, for our "viewing pleasure".

Who hasn't run into a new sub, that does "questionable" work?

I'd like to see the whole stats on the show, and I wouldn't be surprised if problems like this were isolated, and few.

The "ends justify the means".

Most of these people they help, deserve it well.

But if you, the EC, can handle it, and did the best job you could, the name recongnition itself could take you places.

Dnk.......

[This message has been edited by Dnkldorf (edited 09-08-2005).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/08/05 02:14 PM
Dnk.

You have not worked at all with the entertainment industry at all have you?

I have only had passing experience with it and I have no problem believing that the story in that link is the norm and you would be hard pressed to find the good ones.

The shows product is not the house, the shows product is the show. Do you think the producers care about building codes or the end result after they pack up and leave?

Bob
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/08/05 09:08 PM
I'll volunteer if you need a good, fast guy!
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/08/05 10:22 PM
Bob, I have no experience in building homes for TV.

I didn't know you did?

What show?

Dnk....
Posted By: iwire Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/08/05 10:42 PM
Bob, I have no experience in building homes for TV.
I didn't know you did?

What show?

I am the host of "Bob's Hack and Whack Home show". [Linked Image]

I never said I had anything to do with a home show.

My limited experience comes from concerts and other similar events. Typically the people backing the event only have one thing on their mind and that is how much can be made.

But maybe I am wrong, maybe the producers of this show are in it to benefit the public at large and are not just concerned with making money.

I can't even type that without laughing. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: electure Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/08/05 10:55 PM
I nearly went on the show with Randy, but I opted out.
From what he's told me, my decision was a wise one.
Best of Luck
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/09/05 11:38 AM
Bob, I think you get out, what you put in.

Someting on this type scale would require alot of organizing, and some really tight nerves.

My pitfall list would be:
1. No time at all
2. Unfamiliar contractors working together
3. Seemingly uncaring management
4. tight working conditions
5. lack of trained help
6. Volunteer work
7. Host with a bullhorn, annoying
8. Lack of sleep
9. Loss/Hold of current business work

My advantage list would be:
1. Volunteer Work
2. Exposure
3. Challenge

You guys want to add or change to the list?

I have done some fast paced work, "9 Day Denny's", but granted they were not at this scale.

Dnk......
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 09/09/05 07:18 PM
Slight drift in topic, I was watching "Flip this house" or whatever it is called on tv the other day. What a great episode. The show's usual "contractor" operation got caught remodeling a house without a permit. Trouble is that the show seemed bent on making the building official look like the bad guy, and the band aid contractors look like the good guy's who are besieged with inept officials getting in the way of the proffit motive of the company.
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 10/16/05 11:48 AM
Well...EM/HE project 310a Medfield Ma was a surreal experiance for myself and the 45 other electricians from 10 different companies that made up the "Sparky Unit" under my direction. A "once in a lifetime" endeavor that I have no regrets participating in.

The door knock was on Sat. 10/1 and the lucky family was wisped away to an undisclosed location for the week while there new dream home was constructed.On Mon. morning 10/3 we filmed the braveheart demo scene and at around 1pm the construction went into full speed forward. At 9:30 that evening I set the 25 ft of 2/0 copper in the footer for a UFER ground for the home.They used a truck with a conveyor belt to load the concrete into the forms.On Tuesday at 7am as I arrived on site to start installation of the 300 amp service, It was apparent that things were a little behind schedule (about 6 hrs), they had just finished pouring the foundation, and it would be a couple of hours till they stripped the forms.

We were scheduled to start roughing at 8pm Tue. evening 10/4 and it didn't look like that was happening. But the frammers kicked butt and the 1st floor was set and they were working on the 2nd as the first wave of HVAC, Plumbers and Sparky's started roughing at about 9:30pm. It was crowded,it was hot,the basement was an oven with the cement curing, but everyone got along with each other.

Well, much to my dismay, the 2 design producers(Caren & Sinead), who were supposed to do a walk through with me before we started roughing, were back at their hotel resting. The PM had sent them there because he figured that they wouldn't be needed till the next morning.It was their job to relay the design teams(Ty, Connie, Michael, Ed, and Daniel) wishes to all the trades. After trying to talk to Sinead on the phone for 30 minutes about the detailed items that the design team wanted, I told her she had better get her butt out of bed and get down to the site and show us.Well, she did...

We weren't able to start the 2nd floor till about 1am Wed. morning and the frammers continued to use 1 bedroom as a cutting area for framming needs on the roof.We were all tired as this is normally sleep time for all of us. But the crew kept on pulling romex and we finished the majority of it by 6am. We plated, stapled,picked up and checked everything for an hour and passed inspection at 7am. After 26 hours on my feet, I'm feeling pretty much like a zombie and head home for a nap and a shower.

Back on site at 1pm Wed. Send home my right hand man(Paul)who had stayed on site to do odds & ends for some rest.They have insulated, boarded and are setting up to plaster.The utility company had just completed hookup of the service. I'm told that we are only 2 hours behind schedule.We need to set up alot of temporary power for the drying fans that are used to speed up the plaster drying and are all over the place and for the finish carpenters that are setting up many chop saws for the finish carpentry.

"The Home Team" a coalition of area builders had rented a house ajacent to the site where command central was set up. I had taken over a room in the house for the Sparky Unit to meet and discuss daily approaches to tasks. I had blueprints taped to the wall for all team leaders to review. This worked well for us. It was somewhat quiet and we could make phone calls,etc. There was a cell tower close by, and cell phone reception was great.

I spent Wed. nite in that office on a mattress on the floor.The PM (Alan) had asked for an electrician to be on site at all times.

I woke at 5am Thur. 10/6 and 50 painters were gearing up to go in and paint the place. We were back on schedule now, as the plasterers, finish carpenters had made up the time.

We chipped away at finish items Thursday early in the day,outside lighting, basement panel tie in and interior areas that were ready for us. I had scheduled the whole crew at 5pm for the electrical trim out.

Everything was on schedule now and it was looking like "The Home Team" was going to make the 5pm deadline Friday 10/7 for handing the keys for the home to the show. Well, do to great team work and cooperation from all volunteers, we were ready an hour prior to that deadline!

What an awesome experiance for me.The electrical wiring of the home was a TEAM effort from 45 great electricians. A special thanx to my assistants "Paul" and "Larry". Also Sparky Unit master electrician Bill was tops when it came to knowledge of speciality wiring.

FACTS:

1)There were 1600 volunteers who contributed to the project...

2)45 electricians and apprentices contributed to the wiring with the rough completed on 10/5 and the finish completed on 10/7 two days later...

3) The show will air 11/20/05 on ABC at 8pm eastern time. On 11/13/05 the Wells Maine makeover will air at 8pm eastern standard time.

I personally thank everyone of them for their effort.

For more info about the Medfield project go to:
www.wishesforwilliam.org

Watch Extreme Makeover/Home Edition Sunday nights at 8pm eastern time on ABC...

shortcircuit
Posted By: Cow Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 10/16/05 02:45 PM
Good job, I'm glad everything went well for you. I bet you need a vacation after all the long hours and stress though.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 10/16/05 03:53 PM
sc,

Try to remember to remind us as the airing date approaches. It would be a shame to miss it.

Congratulations.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 10/16/05 10:30 PM
Congratulations on a job well done; boy, that's an impressive line up! Hope to catch the show eventually on satellite. We generally get the successful US programmes, and this kind of show is v. popular in the UK. As to criticism of formats, there have been rumblings of discord about similar 'rush' type shows made here as to work quality and looney 'designers'. But every programme does need a format, so viewers will tune in regularly. I prefer the TOH or N Yankee W'shop formats- more my speed, and I can relate to and learn from Norm's and other craftsmens' expertise.
We also have 'DIY SOS' on the BBC, a show based on a humor format. This can be excruciatingly funny, and there is no rushing about to meet impossible deadlines, since the format does not demand it. They did a show up the road from me here at Ambrieres, helping out with a French house remodel. In the opening shot; Accordian music;( Under the Bridges of Paris ); a beat-up Renault '4' van roars* into a scruffy French farmyard in a cloud of dust; the doors fly open before it stops; the crew bail out, accompanied by about a dozen scrawny half- bald squawking chickens, which fly off in all directions.
Ah! Theres no business like....

Alan

* EDIT. technically speaking, a Renault '4' van can't 'roar' anywhere;
a] It's basically an upturned perambulator on castors.
b] The engine is an elastic-band.
c] The shiftstick comes out of the dashboard and is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. There are four gears, but cunningly, all with the same ratio!

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 10-16-2005).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 11/21/05 01:13 AM
Bump

It's on right now!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: techie Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 11/21/05 03:05 AM
Thanks for the heads up.. I still have almost an hour to wait before it comes on here on the left coast..
Posted By: royal12136 Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 11/21/05 04:54 AM
How did they get the cement to set up fast enough to build on it so quick? From all that I have learned, you need a minimum of 7 days to get any holding strength.

Tim

PS
Great job.
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 11/21/05 11:15 AM
Royal...from discussions on the foundation, I remember that they were adding calcium nitrate (I think) so that it would reach 1000psi in 4hrs...

It was so hot in that basement once they put the deck on as the cement was curing...

They used a lot of steel in the footer and foundation also...I layed 20ft of #2 copper wire in the footer and connected to the steel rebar for the UFER ground...

shortcircuit
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 11/21/05 12:05 PM
Good Show, great job.........

Dnk.......
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 11/21/05 11:50 PM
shortcircuit,

That must have been quite an experience. Where you in any of the scenes?

Was that just dirt on the mini Fenway diamond? Just wondering, because it was raining on the show and it looked pretty firm.

Bill
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 11/22/05 02:21 AM
Hi Bill...actually, they did film a scene with me discussing the lighting for the Green Monster with Ed. I'm kinda glad they didn't air it because I fudged my lines...you know, stage fright. I wasn't thinking about what I was saying...not that they would have understood what I was refering to from an electrical standpoint anyway.

They didn't air alot of scenes that they filmed. The show did focus alot on the condition that William has, Spinal Muscular Atrophy, which makes him very immobile and how the new home is accessible for William. All good things...but with all that hard work that the volunteers put in, it would have been nice to see more of the construction process.

I've heard rumors of a "behind the scenes" version of EM/HE being aired at other than prime time TV, but haven't seen any yet.

Oh yea...the ball field...the infield is not dirt, it is a semi hard surface that William is able to wiz around on with his segway-like mobile stander...and the lights in the green monster for the strikes, balls, etc are 120 volt 100watt vaporproof fixtures with 50 watt par20 floods shinning through green and red colored jars controlled via remote controll.

That boy William...he always had a smile on his face...so polite and kind hearted, but so less fortunate than healthy people. I have no regrets helping the family out and giving back...

shortcircuit
Posted By: iwire Re: Extreme Makeover:Home Edition ! - 11/22/05 02:43 AM
I have no regrets helping the family out and giving back...

Cool. [Linked Image]

I did not see the show, the Green monster sounds pretty big judging from the lights.

Bob
© ECN Electrical Forums