ECN Forum
Posted By: Peter Insta Hot voltage - 08/24/05 01:45 AM
I am installing some "Insta Hot"s and needed to know the voltage and amps.
~Peter
Posted By: Bob Re: Insta Hot voltage - 08/24/05 02:50 AM
You need to contact the Mfg. or distributor for that information. If its residential
the voltage could be 120 or 240 volts.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Insta Hot voltage - 08/24/05 03:29 AM
Usually your looking at 120 volt and about 10 amps, but you should check the rating on the unit in question.
Posted By: Peter Re: Insta Hot voltage - 08/24/05 03:39 AM
Mr. Eagle,
Thank you for the basis. That is the problem. All I have is a set of plans and they just say "Insta Hot". I am running 12-2 MC cable.
There will be three of these on one circuit but I doubt if they would all be on at once. Or would they? This is for classrooms for a Sunday school.
I don't know the manufacturer and Google didn't help although it works good for crossword puzzles and Acrostics.
~Peter
Posted By: sierra electrician Re: Insta Hot voltage - 08/24/05 04:12 AM
In most cases 1 - 12/2 per unit will get you coverd @ 120V or 240V. I would not gang them together.

Rob
Posted By: e57 Re: Insta Hot voltage - 08/24/05 04:28 AM
"would all be on at once. Or would they?"
First start up, and every power outage or lunch time.

Heres some...
http://www.insinkerator.com/dispensers/index.shtml

The right manufacturer would be a better bet. But you'd be save to figure 120V @ 750~1800W
Posted By: caselec Re: Insta Hot voltage - 08/24/05 04:51 AM
You really need to get the specs on these units. I think most of the replies here are referring to the insta hot units that get installed at the kitchen sink to provide hot water for tea, etc. These units have a small tank that holds the very hot water they don’t actually heat the water instantly. If you use more than a half gallon or so of water then you will be out of hot water until the water in the tank has time to reheat. I think the units you working with are designed to instantly heat water for the faucet. They typically are 2.4 – 5.5 KW for a single sink.
http://www.eemaxinc.com/new%20spec%20sheets/SinglePoint92104.pdf
Posted By: e57 Re: Insta Hot voltage - 08/24/05 04:59 AM
Good point!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Insta Hot voltage - 08/24/05 07:01 AM
What this sounds like is an Electrode Boiler system.
Not unlike our "Push-through" systems here.
I'd go along with caselec with regard to the power rating, they aren't small by any means. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-24-2005).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Insta Hot voltage - 08/24/05 09:14 PM
Simple answer for this. Customer must get specs or units don't get wired.
Posted By: Peter Re: Insta Hot voltage - 08/25/05 03:12 AM
Got a new set of plans today so I changed to separate circuits of 10-2 each.
I will let you know if I ever get to know what I am installing.
~Peter
Thank you.
Posted By: electure Re: Insta Hot voltage - 08/26/05 10:59 PM
Caselec is 100% right, I think.
Have the plumber provide a cut sheet for the units and make sure the owner or general contractor and you each have a copy.

It's a common practice for the plumber to show up at the job and install something other than what was specified, often because it was in stock at his supplier's.

I've run 40 Amp Circuits to a few. They also come in 277 Volt models.
Just for that little square box.
Posted By: Peter Re: Insta Hot voltage - 08/27/05 04:09 AM
Time for an update:
Yesterday I looked at the Panel schedules [which aren't on my copy] and they show 2000 warrs abd a 30 ano, 2 pole breaker. Thus the 10-2.
This morning I asked the super and he looked at the plumbers sheet and their plan is to use a 30 gallon cold water heater and feed all the sinks with that. This is design build, everything is co=ordinated.
The bad news for this thread is that we will never know exactly what was intended.
Thank you for your insights.
~Peter
© ECN Electrical Forums