ECN Forum
Posted By: jkochan TEAO or OAO - 08/23/05 08:02 PM
Can anyone give me a reason why an Open Air-Over couldn't me used in place of a TEAO in the following application? This is a CanCoil condensing unit for an AirFlow AFX2000 series computer room type ac unit. The condensing unit is roof mounted, non-explosive environment in Phoenix AZ. It's a three Phase 460/380 1/2 hp, 1140 rpm, 56 frame, non-inverter duty. I can find all kinds of OAO's but have to order a TEAO from either GE or CANCOIL at considerable expense. It seems to me that the OAO would have better cooling in our environment. I prefer OEM where possible but these motors are not stocked locally and everyone who lists it must order it in. Shipping costs on a motor almost pays for a second OAO available locally
Posted By: iwire Re: TEAO or OAO - 08/23/05 09:36 PM
Rain?
Posted By: jkochan Re: TEAO or OAO - 08/24/05 03:31 PM
Over 1/2 the motors I see on AC out here are open types, ususally with rain shields if mounted shaft up. These are also usually 1 phase motors. Any reason a 3 Phase should be any different? Higher voltage maybe?
Posted By: rad74ss Re: TEAO or OAO - 08/24/05 07:09 PM
TEAO's keep out rain dust and droppings and the majority of condenser fans are mounted shaft up with wire grills over them.

Have you looked into Baldor motors? They may have a motor that can replace yours if the mount and blade will work with it.
© ECN Electrical Forums