ECN Forum
Posted By: e57 Miniture control relays? - 08/08/05 06:53 AM
Has anyone seen or know where I can get some of these?

A small relay, that can fit into a j-box, has NO/NC contacts with a 120v coil, and looks remarkably simular to a smoke detector/fire alarm accessory relay. (Has heat shrink case) But for lighting control etc.

Look kinda like this...
[Linked Image from laner.com]

I have seen them, have been looking for some, and half tepmted to go down to a building that I know has them to find out who makes them.
Posted By: KBSHORTS Re: Miniture control relays? - 08/08/05 10:22 AM
We occasionally use a similar relay. The local refrigeration supply houses sell them, the ones we use are called a RIB, relay in a box. They have NO and NC contacts and work on various voltages. Real handy sometimes.
KB
Posted By: e57 Re: Miniture control relays? - 08/09/05 12:02 AM
RIB is very simulat, but looking for one that can be placed indide any box. For instance, the ones in the building I mentioned control 6 floors of common lighting for off hours. It shuts off power to about 36 switch boxes by running a single circuit through all of the boxes. Each had very low draw, but handled ~20A switching each. (I believe were motor rated too, and also multi voltage coils.) They were about the size of 4 quarters in a stack, really small, and fit inside each switch location. So they were really unobtrusive. I swear, I'm going to have to sneak back in there and open a box and steal one. I remember seeing them and saying, "Man those could be handy..." Now I believe I have found a really good use for them.... Switched receptacles, flouresant lighting and anything else controlled by Grafic Eye or other simular lighting controls.
http://www.lutron.com/onespec/cutsheets/appnotes/grx/scrnint.pdf
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Miniture control relays? - 08/09/05 05:38 AM
What you describe sounds rather like the GE RR-7 and RR-9 lighting relays.
Posted By: e57 Re: Miniture control relays? - 08/09/05 06:21 AM
No... Thats it, the next time I'm there for a service call, I'm getting one, or at least finding out who makes them.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Miniture control relays? - 08/09/05 07:39 AM
Wonder what this does to box fill, strictly in a theoretical sort of way.
Posted By: KBSHORTS Re: Miniture control relays? - 08/09/05 10:29 AM
Sounds like one of those great little problem solvers to keep on the shelf. Please let us know when you find out who makes them.
KB
© ECN Electrical Forums