ECN Forum
Posted By: Dnkldorf Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/29/05 05:18 PM
What's your favorite line?

Mine is from "Mr Mom"

"220, 221, what ever it takes"

Dnk....
Posted By: mxslick Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/29/05 06:47 PM
From "Back To The Future":

"What the hell is a jiggawatt?" - Marty McFly, after Doc Emmett Brown explains that the time machine's "flux Capacitor" needs 1.21 jiggawatts to work... [Linked Image]

As a side note, the cover over the flux capacitor as seen in the movie is a gearbox cover from a Simplex 35mm movie projector.
I thought "jiggawatt" was hilarious, until I found out it's the preferred pronunciation! It's probably the only place I've ever heard it.

My fave is from "Die Hard":

"Uh, central? Yeah, this is Walt over at Nakatomi. Do you think you could turn off grid 22?"
John, wasn't there some argument in a following scene as to whether the poco employee had authority to cut the power? I vaguely remember him standing in a hole full of water in the rain doing it!
Alan
Posted By: iwire Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/29/05 10:11 PM
Nevermind [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 07-29-2005).]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/29/05 11:22 PM
Young Frankenstein:

Igor: "Two nasty looking switches over there...but I'm not going to be the first"

Frankenstein (after recieveing an arc blast): "Damn your eyes"!!!!

Igor: "Too late"!
Alan, "Walt" was standing in an open manhole, with a portable radio. The argument about authority was a little earlier, between him and the FBI guys, who tell him "Lose the switch, or you lose your job."

Actually, my favorite quote comes a few lines later: "Shut it down -- Shut it down now." My wife and occasionally mimic that line to each other, with the same inflection, just working around the house. [Linked Image]

{ Link removed }

[This message has been edited by John Crighton (edited 07-29-2005).]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-30-2005).]
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/30/05 01:01 AM
Since someone stole the Die Hard scene from me ( [Linked Image] ), I also like the quote from Running Scared:

Two cops driving a taxi (containing a nun and a priest) down an "L" track in persuit of badguys.
Cop A: "Watch that third rail, there's 600 volts in there."
Cop B: "It's not the volts that get you. It's the amps."
Nun: "How many amps are there?!"
Cop B: "Enough to push a train... And shut up!"

-John
Posted By: DougW Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/30/05 03:15 AM
Well, not a movie but a TV series.

Dr. Who:

Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Celtic Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/30/05 04:36 AM
From Mallrats:

Silent Bob's an electrical genius...He won the science fair in eighth grade by turning his mom's vibrator into a cd player using chicken wire and **** .
Muther ****er's like MacGyver...no, Muther ****er's better than MacGyver.
Attention Moderator:

The .wav file above includes unacceptable and vulgar cursing language, and must be deleted!
Seconded, Joe, there's no need for it. We've had this exact same post before I think.
Alan
Posted By: pauluk Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/30/05 12:10 PM
Let's keep all direct links suitable for family viewing/listening please.
Posted By: Roger Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/30/05 01:31 PM
To all members!

If there is offensive content in a thread or post, please feel free to use the moderators e-mail information as well as a post to bring it to our attention.

We may see an e-mail before we actually check every thread.

I agree with Paul, lets keep this to no more risqué than a PG rating at most.

Thank You

Roger
Posted By: tkb Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/30/05 01:46 PM
I remember seeing "House 2" that had John Ratezenburg (Cliff Clavin) as an electrician/ghost hunter. He pulled a piece of romex out of the wall (thru the sheetrock) and followed it around the room to a hidden fireplace. Then he pulled a samurai sword out of his tool box and went into the wall to some Aztec hidden room.
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/30/05 01:50 PM
PG is really going to reduce the quotes anyone can post from anything out of Hollywood. Support the policy, stopped going to movies because of poor quality.

Dr. Who.... Brings back memories of waking up in the middle of night as a child to the blaring TV on the other side of the house scraming "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE"

[This message has been edited by Jps1006 (edited 07-30-2005).]
From the crystal ball, I'll tell you your favourite quotes :-) :

For the electricians out there: "She won't take it anymore!" (Scotty, Star Trek, may he rest in peace).

For the AHJ's out there: "I'm mad as He** ahd I'n not going to take it anymore!" (Network, I think!)

For the GC"S out there "Greed is Good" (Michael Douglas in "Wall Street")

For me, a picture is worth a thousand words. Like all those Hollywood moments where something is turned "on" by pulling a switch down!
Posted By: iwire Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/31/05 12:34 AM
Not exactly electrical quotes but "The Money Pit" has some good construction quotes.

Curly: If the permit man ever comes back. You give me a call and we'll come back and finish the job.

Walter: When I do get the permits how long will the job take?

Curly: Two weeks.

Walter: Two weeks? Two weeks?

Curly: You sound like a parakeet there. "Two weeks! Two weeks!"

Walter: Two weeks. It's amazing.

Curly: Amazing nothing. It'll be a regular miracle.

Walter Fielding: Just because they showed up to collect the money, is no guarantee that they'll show up to do the work... and if they do... I can't pay for it!

Walter: [Walter is on the phone with the permit inspector] I'm sorry I wasn't here when you came by but my wife, ah, became very ill and we, uh, had to take her to the hospital and she is fact very ill and... oh, that doesn't cut any ice with you. Well, what would cut some ice? A bribe; okay, how much? $200? I'll see you in fifteen minutes.

Water Fielding: He's supposed to be a really good carpenter. Besides, he has a brother who's a plumber!

Anna Crowley: Really? A brother who's a plumber? Think I should sleep with him?

Walter Fielding: Maybe just this once.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 07-30-2005).]
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/31/05 03:22 AM
From "Apollo 13":

Astronaut Jack Swigert on powering up the command module before reentry, with condensation dripping off the panels:

"It's like driving a toaster through a car wash!"

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 07-30-2005).]
Folks,

I apologize for posting the "Die Hard" audio link. I added it as an afterthought, after I searched to see whether the lines I quoted were at all accurate.

My assumptions were that (1) electricians are an over-17 crowd, and that people here might enjoy hearing the "shut it down" line again, and (2) there's hardly anybone alive who hasn't seen Die Hard at least once.

Next time, I'll stick to the redacted text.

I meant no disrespect. I'm sorry.

Regards, John
Not exactly a quote, but the strangest electrical scene I've ever seen: some Columbo movie starts with the bad guy's hands taking a mixer, cutting the cord, somehow pushing it back into the connector at the mixer, then plugging it in, running ist for a few seconds and then dropping it into a bucket of water... flash and bang!
Just weird!
Posted By: pauluk Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/31/05 03:08 PM
some Columbo movie starts with the bad guy's hands taking a mixer.....

I remember seeing that one a few months ago. The actor in question is Martin Landau (Mission Impossible, Space 1999, and many other shows).

Later in the story he drops the mixer in an occupied bathtub. [Linked Image]

Oh, and just one more thing........ [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/31/05 03:21 PM
Oh, and just one more thing........
[Linked Image]

At that point the criminal should just confess. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from letrasviperinas.com]
Posted By: Celtic Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/31/05 04:26 PM
Speaking on Mission Impossible (original TV series)....
I recall on particularly cheesey episode where on the "agents" manages to open an outlet plate, remove the device and look into the room with a "spy camera" (on a goose neck or something). This doesn't sound all that "impossible" until you know that everything was removed from INSIDE (behind the box) the wall...after crawling through ductwork - that had no mold/dirt build up, is quiet as walking on feathers, is bright enough to see in, etc etc etc...blah blah blah.
I stopped watching the show right after that episode...which is coincidentially when my "career" started. [Linked Image]
Posted By: chipmunk Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/31/05 04:42 PM
Only barely electrically related, but I liked it [Linked Image]

Ghostbusters:
Dr Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by ****less here.
Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it's true.
[pause]
Dr. Peter Venkman: This man has no ****.
I stumbled over the episode while browsing through 50 video 2000 tapes I bought on Ebay. The music underlines the scene quite well...
Oh yeah, and the house has a nice huge fuse panel! Columbo thoroughly inspects it as he was told a fuse blew right at the time of the murder.
c*******,

*, *** ***** *** * ***** ** **?
********! [Linked Image]

(****** ** ****** **********.)

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 07-31-2005).]
Posted By: mxslick Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/31/05 06:34 PM
Chipmunk wrote:
Ghostbusters:
Dr Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by ****less here.
Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it's true.
[pause]
Dr. Peter Venkman: This man has no ****.

Alan Belson wrote:
c*******,

*, *** ***** *** * ***** ** **?
********!

(****** ** ****** **********.)

ROFL!! [Linked Image]

By the way, "Ghostbusters" is rated PG, so maybe the mods might allow the quote to appear unedited? (For those who really can't figure it out!)

Back on topic:

Rent the movie "My Science Project", a mid- 1980's film about a high school student who rummages through a military junkpile and finds a device which unleashes time warps and twisted dimensions. Lots of electrical related scenes! Also features a funny performance by Dennis Hopper as a constantly stoned science teacher!

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 07-31-2005).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 07/31/05 10:42 PM
I usually enjoy C.S.I. but there was an episode where a construction worker was killed.

(GRISSOM looks around and notices the drill hanging off the side of the floor.
He pulls it up.)

GRISSOM: Did this belong to Mr. Valenti

ROBERT HARRIS: Well, like I said he was the only one up here.

(GRISSOM examines the drill and notices that the metal housing is charred.)

GRISSOM: This drill is shorted out. Do you think he "jumped" before or after
he got the shock of his life?

ROBERT HARRIS: GFCI would have prevented shock.

SHERIFF BRIAN MOBLEY: What is GFCI?

ROBERT HARRIS: The Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.

GRISSOM: Big words meaning you won't get electrocuted.

(GRISSOM grabs his kit and notices the outlet. He moves to examine the plug and
notices that the third prong of the plug is cut in half.)

ROBERT HARRIS: You see, if there's and electrical imbalance the GFCI trips the
circuit and the tools are suppose to shut itself off.

GRISSOM: But if the third prong of the plug is compromised, the interrupter
won't work. Will it, Bob?

ROBERT HARRIS: The third prong grounds the drill. Without it, the
interrupter's useless.

GRISSOM: These prongs don't usually snap off by themselves.

Once they said "The third prong grounds the drill. Without it, the
interrupter's useless." I had to watch something else. [Linked Image]
"Hey, no wonder the water don't woik...THE PIPE IS PLUGGED UP WITH WIRES!!"
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 08/01/05 03:15 AM
Nizzle:

And then cut downstairs to the poor cook, who's watching the lightbulb on her kitchen ceiling fill up with water and explode. [Linked Image]
DNK,

I can't be the only to suggest Mel Brooks Blazing Saddles from the old days ??

"Badges, we don't need no stinkin badges"
Posted By: e57 Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 08/01/05 07:35 AM
It's not a movie quote, but:

"I aint been the same since ah drank my thermometer..."

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 08/01/05 01:02 PM
Speaking on Mission Impossible (original TV series)....

You've just reminded me that there was one episode where they were in a hotel in London on some assignment, and doing something with the wiring.

It's funny how every receptacle in a London hotel was an American type........
If tv is ok, what about the 'steam wireless?'

*Neddy Seagoon, (staccato): Whatwhatwhatwhatwhat!!

Grytpipe Thinne, (laconic drawl): Only six watts Neddy? You're not very bright!

* The Highly Esteemed Goon Show. Tonight 1900 BST; The mystery of the Marie Celeste ( Solved). Or repeated tomorrow-Sunday next week anytime on 'Listen Again' - see homepage.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/

Alan

PS *Not from tonite's show- this series ran for about 10 years 1950- 1960.

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 08-01-2005).]
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 08/01/05 08:53 PM
Iwire reminded me of this: While watching a documentry on the making of the movie Die Hard, the narrator explains that
The scene where the Nakatomi building lights are shut off had to be computer generated because there was no way to turn off the lights without shutting down power to part of the city.
So now 20A single phase lighting circuits are tapped off of 24 kilovolt utility primaries, eh? [Linked Image]

-John
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 08/01/05 09:18 PM
You would think from all my younger days watching "Larry, Moe and Curly", I would at least rememmber one from them.

Has anyone seen my memory around?

Dnk........
Memory!? I'm looking for my teeth! [Linked Image]
Alan
Posted By: pauluk Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 08/02/05 12:54 PM
I have to chuckle at all those movies where at the moment the bad guy gets his just desserts in the chair, every light in the prison dims to about a quarter of normal brightness.

C'mon now, they can't all have had a service installed by a hack electrician who thought that #12 Romex was enough to feed the entire jail! [Linked Image]

I can't remember the title or the exact words, but I've even seen one old movie where the lights in all the houses across town dimmed too, prompting one of the bad guys to say "That's it for poor old Lefty" or something similar.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 08/02/05 01:26 PM
AFAIK, electric chairs are powered by a dedicated generator. At least they were at one time...

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 08-02-2005).]
"The Green Mile" did Ol' Sparky one better...when someone fried, the lights got brighter, and burst like balloons!
Yeah -- Open neutral. [Linked Image]
Then there is the Green Acres episode where they have the generator, Lisa burns it out, and Oliver tries to explain the "rule of seven", where the appliances have a number, and they cannot total more than 7.

Their chart is

Can Opener -- 1
Coffee Pot -- 2
Iron -------- 2
Toaster ----- 2
Mixer ------- 2
Frying Pan -- 2
Rotisserie -- 4
Dish Washer - 5
Washing Machine 6
Freezer ----- 6
Refrigerator 6

All horribly skewed (no way a household refrigerator, even back then, would use 3x the power of a coffee pot, which mine is 660W, or a can operner would draw 330 W)
Wargames:
Heck I'd urinate on a spark plug if I thought it would help. Just what we were saying the other day about a DC drive
Posted By: raider1 Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 08/03/05 10:36 PM
One of my favorites is from the simpsons.

Homer is obsessed with safty and is babyproofing the house. He takes a magic marker and draws bunny faces on the receptacles. Marge comes in and says "Homer maggie is'nt afraid of bunnies." To which Homer replies "Oh she will be!!!"

Chris.
Posted By: Sarahw Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 02/11/18 08:41 PM
Are there such classics nowadays?
Posted By: Potseal Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 02/14/18 08:09 PM
The Big Lebowski

Maude Lebowski shows Jeffrey Lebowski an adult video that stars Bunny Lebowski, the missing girl that everyone is looking for. The video has a typical storyline where a cable guy comes to "fix the cable" at an apartment where there are two beautiful young women:

Maude Lebowski: "Good lord. You can imagine where it goes from here."
Jeffrey Lebowski: "He fixes the cable?"
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Favorite Electrical quote from a movie - 02/28/18 10:16 PM
Another scene from "Green Acres" has it that the power company had 120V on the power pole adjacent to their house, but for some reason the power company couldn't install a service on the house. So the power company connected a duplex 120V 15A outlet between the two wires (without any overcurrent protection) near the top of the pole, and gave Oliver an extension cord. He climbs the pole to plug it in, and then the commentator says that this might be the real reason for the big Northeast USA blackout in 1965, as Oliver plugs the cord in.
© ECN Electrical Forums