ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy How 's the weather? - 07/12/05 09:33 AM
Just wondering how the weather is in the Northern Hemisphere?.
Is it as good as they say it is?
Is it in fact the middle of summer where you are?.
People from the Southern Hemisphere are also welcome to comment!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: George Corron Re: How 's the weather? - 07/12/05 10:41 AM
Trumpy,
Lemme see if I can 'reference' it for ya. 95 deg today, heat index well over 100. I'm paving on a project......get the picture [Linked Image]

From the Pentagon to the Washington Memorial is probably less than a mile in a straight line and neither is a tiny structure. I could JUST barely make out an outline from the parking lot.

Do the term "Hazy, HOT, and Humid" mean anything to ya???????

Spose to stay warm like this a few days, and then turn HOT!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: How 's the weather? - 07/12/05 10:41 AM
Frankly, no it isn't Mike. We had a cold spring here which wreaked havoc in the garden and my potatoes got Colorado Beetle, blown in by unseasonal winds. Then stifling heat in the mid 90s, followed by thunderstorms. Following the world weather on 'Fox News' and seeing the poor souls in Florida / Alabama getting hammered by Dennis did'nt help any either. Looked quite mild down your way- 55 degrees F? Never mind, I expect you'll have some Antarctic blizzards eventually to keep you alert up them transmission poles! Har! Har! [Linked Image]
Alan
Posted By: gideonr Re: How 's the weather? - 07/12/05 11:14 AM
So hot the cat lies under the wheelbarrow [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: How 's the weather? - 07/12/05 11:34 AM
George!!, [Linked Image]
We've had up and down weather at the moment.
It went down to 25F last night and it the moment the temperature guage is sitting at 13F.
I"m working nights, these days, so I'm sitting in the Control Room at work at the Po-Co.
Looking at snow tomorrow though.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-17-2005).]
Posted By: mbhydro Re: How 's the weather? - 07/12/05 02:13 PM
Well up here in Manitoba we have had nothing but rain off and on for the last few months. The western part of the province has had farm land flooded out for the growing season from overland flooding.

I am in the largest city in Manitoba and the government had to open the Winnipeg Floodway (used for spring floods) for only the second summer time in 30+ years to keep us dry. The amount of water in the Red River now is greater than in the spring flood this year.

Heat wise we are expected to be in the high 80's and humid through Saturday when there is a 30% chance of rain.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: How 's the weather? - 07/12/05 05:29 PM
4 named storms (#5 in the islands) and it is only July. The northern hemisphere is exciting this year for us on the Gulf coast.
Posted By: C-H Re: How 's the weather? - 07/13/05 03:02 PM
I need the sunglasses on that smiley [Linked Image] In Sweden it's been nothing but sunshine and close to 30C in the past few days (that's the mid 80's to the Americans). When we were out sailing last weekend we measured an amazing 23C (72F) in the Baltic sea... They'd probably call that "winter" in Florida [Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: How 's the weather? - 07/13/05 04:21 PM
Yup that's winter. 19.5 or 20(C) is about as cold as the water ever gets. It's more like 30-31 now.
Posted By: bigrockk Re: How 's the weather? - 07/17/05 05:49 AM
Well you can check it out for your self here
http://theweathernetwork.com/weather/cities/can/Pages/CASK0272.htm
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: How 's the weather? - 07/17/05 11:47 PM
I can tell you this much. I think this has been the wettest dam summer I can remember!
wet Hot Humid did I say wet ?
But thats my luck. Broke ground on a new garage at home and the sky's have opened up.

[This message has been edited by luckyshadow (edited 07-17-2005).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: How 's the weather? - 07/18/05 01:33 AM
Trumpy:
Typical NJ summer....hazy, hot, HUMID & showers. Can't really complain though; overall it's been a decent summer so far (Mid-may to now. The Florida crew is getting hit; along with the caribean area.

Sounds like you get the same swings in weather that we get here on the East Coast (NJ)
John
Posted By: Ray97502 Re: How 's the weather? - 07/18/05 04:25 AM
It’s the peak of summer here in Medford, OR; we usually get about 2 or 3 weeks of mid summer triple digit high temperatures. Today it’s 39.4C (103F) for the high and it looks like a warm night to follow with a low of 20C (68F). Usually the really hot days are in August but we are a bit early this year.
Down at the coast (about 2.5 hrs away) it’s a cool 23 to 25 C and up at Crater Lake @ 2.2K Meters (1.25 hrs away) it’s a cool mid day at 26.5 or about 80F.
When I was up at Crater Lake (7000 ft), the last week end in June the road around the lake was still closed due to snow. And you could still see snow on Mt Ashland (7,454 ft), Mt Mc Laughlin (9,280 ft) and some of the ridges surrounding the Rouge Valley that nestles Medford, Ashland and the surrounding smaller towns.
The year on average is a bit warmer than usual, we didn’t get much snow pack and what winter we had came in late. We’re lucky so far with no major forest fires.
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: How 's the weather? - 07/18/05 02:01 PM
Here in New Mexico we've just begun our summer monsoon season and welcomed the rain to fight the drought although it would probably take weeks of gentle rain to quell the drought and we know we're not likely to get the rain needed. We had a whopper of a hailstorm with 1" hail stones on Friday which caused flooding my office and made for icy conditions outside the nearby building I was visiting.

Yesterday after a blistering morning and afternoon, we got a 'frog-strangling' rain which watered everything nicely (no hail) and cooled us down quite a bit though it left us with incredible humidity after the rain stopped - not something we're accustomed to.

We currently have temps of 62.4 F in the shade and my thermometer facing the sun says 111 degrees at almost 8am this morning. My son's temp is 101.8 so we'll probably be driving in the heat of the day for a quick trip to the hospital... [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: How 's the weather? - 07/18/05 04:56 PM
After a slightly changeable start to the summer, it's warm here in eastern England too, up into the low 80s and I'm right on the coast.

So hot the cat lies under the wheelbarrow

My cat is thoroughly enjoying the warm spell, prowling around the sand dunes in the cooler evening air and finding nice shady corners to snooze in during the afternoon. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: How 's the weather? - 07/18/05 06:05 PM
The spell of really hot, (35C 95F) dry conditions broke temporarily today, with a patter of rain, but the forecast is for more sun. I'm having to pump well water to the veg patch, ( we don't drink it- the nitrates are over 50mg/litre, this being cattle country.) Must be nice to live right on the coast Paul, I'd be fishing right now for flatties! I went to Boy Scout Camp at Cromer in the fifties, and it was lovely. Can't remember much except the train out was double-headed steam engines, and we took a day trip to Gt. Yarmouth where they had a doughnut machine on the Front, sixpence olde money a go! (2.5p, US 5c). Did you know, BTW, that no one in the British Isles is more than 100 miles from the sea, which is why it rains so much!
Alan
Posted By: Trumpy Re: How 's the weather? - 07/19/05 08:55 AM
Thanks a heap for all of your replies, guys!.
Oh and by the way, all you people in Colorado, just watch your beetles, they're ruining Alan's spuds!. [Linked Image]
We are slowly heading into the early end of Spring here, but Spring here means changeable weather.
It's usually very windy and with a lot of rain.
I'd just like to educate that new guy that told me in the Chat rooms that Winter doesn't start here (in New Zealand) until July 1st.
We didn't have much of a summer last year, in fact it was wetter than Winter.
Enough of my complaining!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: How 's the weather? - 07/19/05 11:26 AM
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/veg/leaf/potato_beetles.htm

A very serious, and a notifiable to the authorities pest in the UK, so this is the first time I ever saw one. Went to the garden centre where the owner told me to spray them, proffering a poison specific to the critters, (OK for bees and nice insects like lacewings, ladybirds etc). Asked about telling the Authorities and he fell about laughing! As to Colorado USA residents, as usual in these matters, Colorado has little to do with the name, these critters being also native to Florida, Mexico, in fact most of the Americas, living originally on 'buffalo-bur', whatever that is! It seems they probably arrived with the French seed potatoes I bought, so next year I'll be growing imported Scotch spuds, the best!

Alan

PS. Does 'spud' = potato in the US?
Ex-vice president Dan Quayle could probably have spelled 'spud'. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 07-19-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: How 's the weather? - 07/19/05 11:48 AM
Alan,
Does 'spud' = potato in the US?
Ex-vice president Dan Quayle could probably have spelled 'spud'
No I'm pretty sure it must have been Al Gore that invented that term, just like he invented the Internet. [Linked Image]
However though, it has been a term used here for a cricket ball.
As in:
Well then, that keeper hasn't caught hold of that spud heading his way.
Damn them Aussies for mucking up the English language!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: How 's the weather? - 07/20/05 12:59 AM
Just got back from Las Vegas for a wedding over the weekend. 114F with a low of 90F. that's about as hot as I've ever seen it. Made for good swimming weather though. Then as we were leaving, the AC in the airport was broken and our flight was delayed.

Here in suburban Chicago, dry and hot 80's & 90's, but we need rain bad. Even huricane Dennis dried up when he got here.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: How 's the weather? - 07/20/05 02:20 AM
Inside the house, Brrrr!!!
Outside in the open, "Where's the water, I'm dieing out here!?"

Ian A.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: How 's the weather? - 07/20/05 10:58 AM
I stand corrected, I could have sworn it was Dan Quayle who couldn't spell potatoes.
Alan
Posted By: walrus Re: How 's the weather? - 07/20/05 02:48 PM
It was Quayle.
Posted By: straightedge Re: How 's the weather? - 07/21/05 01:54 AM
Here in Phoenix, Arizona it is so hot the homeless are dropping like flies. Already 12 dead because of the exposure. 28 Dogs died at a doggie hotel when the swamp cooler motor seized and all of the dog owners are still out of town. 16 Illegal immigrants from Mexico died in the desert from exposure as well.

I am dieing in my building with no power and no ventillation. It's been around 112F to 116F every day for the past two weeks now.

Can the General Contractor be liable for injuries related to heat when we have to work on a job with no ventillation and 116F outside. I don't know how much more I can take.
Posted By: hbiss Re: How 's the weather? - 07/21/05 02:14 AM
Can the General Contractor be liable for injuries related to heat when we have to work on a job with no ventillation and 116F outside. I don't know how much more I can take.

I would say yes. What does OSHA have to say about it? Kinda think that you should be working nights or maybe early AM until it gets real hot then knock off. That's what roofers do around here. Maybe not good for productivity but too bad!

-Hal
© ECN Electrical Forums