ECN Forum
Posted By: leespark New cordless drill - 07/04/05 12:24 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger and buy myself a new cordless drill. I think I'm going for a Panasonic - this will be the first Panasonic tool I've ever owned. I made my decision based on what I've heard from other tradesman and reviews I've read in magazines such as Fine Homebuilding and The Journal of Light Construction where the Panasonic blew away the competition in battery life and torque. There have also been positive reviews on this website as well. I getting a little tired of the yellow tools breaking down on me.

My debate is whether or not to get a hammer drill version or not. I can find no reviews specifically fot the hammer drill models, maybe because they have not been around for that long. Does anyone have feedback on the hammer drills? The model I'm looking at is a EY6950GQKW for about $275.

Also, where do you buy your tools? Online? Amazon? I can't find any place other than the web that carries Panasonic.
Posted By: dmattox Re: New cordless drill - 07/04/05 01:40 AM
I don't know of anyone that has a Panasonic.

I just bought a Makita 12V impact driver that came with a free 12V drill also at the box store. I haven't touched my 18V milwaukee drill since I bought this except for using my unibit. The impact has been great for the fence I've been building in my backyard too [Linked Image] Its so light and makes panels and driving screws such a breeze. You should check to make sure you can get an impact driver with any drill you go with.

My Milwaukee has an hammer drill setting on it, that is fine for the occasional one hole strap, but anything more than that I get my rotohammer out. Especially after I spent a day on the roof using the hammer drill setting and destroyed it. Everyone I've talked seems to share the same belief that hammer drill really tears up cordless drills.

I've bought online and specifically Amazon, never had a problem. But, I'm like a kid at christmas and I usually can't wait for the mail for my new toy.

Also, if you do have a problem its a bit of a pain to return it dealing with shipping. I bought a Rigid sawsall that died after 5 months, went to the box store and whined to the manager. He returned it and I upgraded to a milwaukee, I doubt online places would do that for you.

[This message has been edited by dmattox (edited 07-03-2005).]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: New cordless drill - 07/04/05 02:19 AM
I swear by my 24-volt DeWalt hammer-drill, reciprocating saw, and circular saw. Powerful as corded tools and excellent battery life.

The drill will twist 7/8" augers through 6" of solid wood without complaint and drill a foot of concrete or brick easily in hammer-drill mode.

If there's AC available, I snap on a battery-eliminating power pack. The tools run even stronger, and no battery swapping/recharging.

If I need more power in masonry or concrete, or if I need to drive ground rods, I break out my Bosch rotary hammer. Arrgh, arrgh, arrgh!
Posted By: dmattox Re: New cordless drill - 07/04/05 04:50 AM
Can you get a 24V combo kit Larry? I couldn't find one.

Did a quick look and it was $350 per item, so thats like $1050 for what you got? Yah, you better love it for that price [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tiger Re: New cordless drill - 07/04/05 05:01 AM
I got a Panasonic 12V drill/driver, and a 15.6V metal saw about 6 months to a year ago on the advice of Trumpy and SRScott. I liked them so much I got the 18V hammer drill/driver. The battery life is great. They may sit unused for a couple weeks and still have a good charge, although it's better for these batteries to be stored with a full charge. They have as much torque as my wrists can stand.

Beware though, the hammer drill, like any cordless hammer drill is a very lightweight version of what is really made to drill concrete and masonry...a corded rotary hammer. I really only use both of my Panasonic drills for driving screws and drilling metal.

As a final note to this commercial by Dave, I would replace them with Panasonics when the time comes.

I got them at a local hardware store, but they are available online. Do a Google search on "Panasonic cordless tools" and you should get a few places that sell them.

Dave
Posted By: renosteinke Re: New cordless drill - 07/04/05 05:34 AM
A couple of notes about Panasonic:

- The first "Milwaukee" cordless tools were actually Panasonics; and,

- Many companies that only offer one thing cordless, say, a cable connector crimper, base their tool on Panasonic batteries.
Posted By: Tiger Re: New cordless drill - 07/04/05 02:10 PM
I tried the Google search, and it wasn't very effective. Go to Panasonic.com and in the upper right is a search. Search for cordless tools and make your way to the tool you want. It'll have a place to find an online dealer.

Nothwest power tools, and mytoolstore are a couple I've visited.

Dave
Posted By: macmikeman Re: New cordless drill - 07/04/05 04:40 PM
I have been using Panasonic cordless 15.6 v for at least 10 years. They are great. But I have managed to burn 2 motots out as I stuck a self feed 7/8" auger in both times (too lazy to set up a cord).
Posted By: e57 Re: New cordless drill - 07/04/05 05:54 PM
I don't own a Panasonic, but know poeple who do, and I have used thiers. Lots of torque, good batteries, etc. But as I have said in other posts about this type of thing, I don't believe that cordless hammer drills are engineered to take the punishment of regular use as a hammer-drill. Like-wise for regular use to drive ship-augers. To do so is just removing the life of the motors and batteries. So If you like spending money....

If you are going to do a whole house, or project, use the cord-less to set up temp power, so you can use a heavy duty tool indended for the purpose. I believe these cord-less drills are great for drilling small holes in thin stock, and driving screws, but not a replacement for a right-angle or hole hog, or heavy duty hammer drill.

However, Panasonic makes a great impact driver/drill combo that kicks butt! And if still available when I'm ready to get a new set up, I'll be getting that, if not superseded by something better. "EY6535GQW" When it come to driving screws all day, and putting together bolts on strut, nothing beats an impact wrench. This one comes with a chuck so you can still drill a few holes for your KO punch, great on large panel work.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: New cordless drill - 07/04/05 10:35 PM
DM, I bought each of the tools separately. The drill was from a Sears outlet store as a recondition w/full warranty, complete kit (charger, one battery, case) for $300.

The recip saw was from HD on a close-out for around $200 as a display, complete kit except for case, which I got separately for $16 at a local Dewalt store, plus several blades.

The circular saw was a display also, "bare-bones" with no accessories at all, for $50. I now have a total of 6 batteries, 2 chargers, an d 2 corded power packs.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: New cordless drill - 07/04/05 10:38 PM
By the way, I wouldn't want a combo kit for these tools. They're heavy enough to carry singly! As for using sparingly, that's not a great concern here. The batteries have a great charge life.

I can drill plenty of 1.5: holes if I need to on a single charge; two batteries should get me through a small rough-in, lasting the better part of a day.
Posted By: leespark Re: New cordless drill - 07/04/05 11:53 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The hammer drill would only be used occasionally for 1/4" plastic anchors or tapcons.

I'm not interested in a combo kit right now, they just seem enormous!

I've seen guys wire an entire house with a cordless. They always seem to be swapping batteries, maybe time to bust out the corded right andle?
Posted By: dmattox Re: New cordless drill - 07/05/05 12:21 AM
When I got my combo, I tried to do everything with it. I quickly went through tools and batteries. There is a time and a place for both corded and cordless.

But, I still do hate getting cords out. Seems like no matter how careful I am with them, they end up walking off =\
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: New cordless drill - 07/05/05 08:05 PM
Today I went to chainsaw a new stairwell in a friend's house, ( them oak beams, it's the only way!) and saw a Makita drill model I never saw before, being used by a drywalling bloke. I'm convinced it was a 'fake'. It was 24v and marked 'Makita Site Master', but the quality wasn't there, and there was no model plate on the drill or the charger. Anyone aware of these?
Alan
ps. the exhaust fumes set off the smoke alarm!

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 07-05-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: New cordless drill - 07/05/05 10:14 PM
leespark,
I have 2 Panasonic drills, the first one I bought was a 12V unit a few years back now.
If I can drill a series of holes through a 300mm (1ft) diameter power pole and the odd cross-arm with a 1" Auger bit, on one battery, you shouldn't have too many worries about it's capacity.
I have since bought a 18V unit as well, the actual torque of this drill is verging upon dangerous, it's nearly broken my wrist the odd time or two, but it's never stalled. [Linked Image]
I too was sick of burning out drills, not the batteries, but the motor itself, with overloading a cheaper-made drill, the brushes don't last too well if they have to carry a lot of current for any length of time. [Linked Image]
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: New cordless drill - 07/05/05 11:02 PM
leespark,
try the Google search, but do it under the "Froogle" tab. You will get a lot of hits with pricing.
HLCbuild
Posted By: leespark Re: New cordless drill - 07/05/05 11:27 PM
Well I did it. I pulled the trigger and purchased a Panasonic 18 volt hammer drill driver.

I ended up getting it from Amazon for $279 (the cheapest I saw was $275) mainly because I have bought stuff from them before and never had any problems.

I swear I spent more time making this decision than I did for the car I drive! I must admit I feel like a kid anticipating Christmas waiting for it to arrive - I need to get out more!

Thanks to all who offered advice and I will post at a later date and let you know what I think of my new toy - I mean tool.
© ECN Electrical Forums