ECN Forum
Posted By: iwire What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 11:14 AM
Yes I am riding on Joe T's coat tails [Linked Image] but I did not want to see Joe's Movie thread go off track.

I spend most of my TV time at The Discover Chanel, The History Chanel or PBS.

Not much of a sitcom fan.

My mindless TV entertainment would be Family Guy and the Simpson's.

Family Guy hits close to home as they 'live' in nearby RI and go to places I know.

As far as the 80s shows that Scott brought up I enjoyed "The Dukes of Hazard" and "Married with Children"

Bob
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 11:59 AM
Thanks Bob!

I like to watch MSNBC and their programs such as Lockup.

When I was a kid I watched Kukla, Fran, and Ollie, I remember Mama, and Howdy Duty Time, Superman, Lone Ranger, and Flash Gordon.

I also enjoyed, Streets of LA, Dragnet, and most of the typical shows like Jackie Gleason, Milton Berle, Lucy, and I also enjoy the Animal Planet, especially when they have Gorillas on the show.

Does anyone know where I can find short video clips of funny stuff?

I show a few at my seminars and that really helps to keep everyone awake!
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 12:27 PM
I already mentioned "Spenser for Hire" in the movie thread but I have some others. Cops is always good. History channel and Discovery chanel, as Bob mentioned, are can't miss when looking for something to watch. 24 is entertaining. And from the guilty pleasure confessional, I have not missed an episode of American Idol since the start of it's second season. Yeah thats right I said it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 12:36 PM
I have not missed an episode of American Idol since the start of it's second season. Yeah thats right I said it.

WOW!

Very brave owning up to that. [Linked Image]

Do you watch that right after "The View" [Linked Image]

Alright seeing as you where strong enough to admit that, I will admit I used to watch "One Day At a Time".
Posted By: CRM Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 02:15 PM
One of my favorite shows from the 80's was Hardcastle and McCormick, nowdays I watch a lot of shows on A & E, American Justice, Cold Case Files, and City Confidential.
Posted By: capt al Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 02:32 PM
I drive my wife crazy with: The History Channel, Discovery Channel, and The Learning Channel. Also NESN when the RED Sox are on.

Al
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 02:41 PM
I am with Bob on this one. The Simpsons is hands down my favorite. I also like Seinfield a lot.
Posted By: GA76JW Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 03:13 PM
I drive my wife crazy with: The History Channel, Discovery Channel, and The Learning Channel.

I also enjoy these channels and can always find something interesting on one of them. My wife also hates them, but she pays me back with the dreadful Lifetime and WE. I shudder just thinking about them.
Posted By: iwire Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 03:54 PM
My wife also hates them, but she pays me back with the dreadful Lifetime and WE.

Mine gets me back with MTV shows like Real World or Road Rules.

The last thing I want to watch is teenagers complaining how bad they got it.
Posted By: Roger Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 04:18 PM
Some But not all inclusive; Andy Griffith, The Real McCoys, Old Warner Brothers Cartoons, and The New Yankee Workshop.

Speaking of the latter, here are a couple past projects.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The sewing table was a gift for my daughter, the slant top desk was for my stuff.

Roger
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 04:28 PM
Nice work Roger! Norm would be proud. I like the New Yankee Workshop too but I love the originator of all these diy shows, This old House. It would be safe to say I have seen every episode ever filmed from day one in 1979 when I was only 9 years old. Today I still never miss an episode and my 4 and 8 year old boys are always right there with me. Cap't Al reminded me, Red Sox! How could I forget. I guess I don't think of them as a "TV Show".
Posted By: hypress Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 04:43 PM
Law & Order CSI and CNN HLN or Fox News with a good lookin newsbabe
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 04:52 PM
Nice is an understatement Roger, those look top notch craftsmanship. Superb. Are you using polyurethane finishes?

British TV shows I liked were;
The Two Ronnies, Monty Python, The Young Ones.

I also watch Norm and TOH on satelite. I like these shows because of lots of content and no crappy music. A few years ago, TOH had another presenter I liked, Bob Vila I think? but we don't get him on satelite now.

And not to forget Taxi.
Alan
Posted By: renosteinke Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 05:28 PM
I might enjoy a show called "This Old Electrician" on the Sparx channel :-)
Posted By: Roger Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 06:30 PM
Thanks Scott and Alan. Scott I agree with you about This Old House, it is still one of my favorites.

"Threadjack"

Alan, yes I do use polyurethane finishes.

On the Slant top desk, I used a stain/polyurethane combo with two final coats of clear polyurethane, while on the sewing table I used a traditional stain with two coats of clear polyurethane.

I really like using foam brushes for polyurethane finishes.

"End of Threadjack" [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: Roger Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 06:31 PM
Reno, that's a pretty good idea. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/19/05 08:23 PM
I've been known to watch ncis and cold case files.
I try to catch this old house reruns. I have to run from the room when the wife tunes into survivor and the like !

[This message has been edited by luckyshadow (edited 06-19-2005).]
Posted By: PEdoubleNIZZLE Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/20/05 02:21 PM
I'm always watching cartoons... Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, Tom & Jerry, Looney Toons.... what can I say, I'm a kid at heart. I also watch Drew Carey, Red Green [Linked Image], SNL, Monster house.... and pretty much anything on PBS, Discovery, and The Learning Channel.... However, the last two not as much since they mostly show stuff like design on a dime.... I'd rather watch a special on whales or something.
Posted By: mxslick Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/20/05 06:27 PM
My all-time fav TV show is "Coach"!!

Jerry Van Dyke (now shilling for a discount store chain) pounding on the cabin door yelling "Hayden, Hayden, Hayden..." over and over again always gets me rolling.

And Craig T. Nelson (He was dad in "Poltergeist") going "Jeeeeze!" when he gets caught by his fiance (the incredibly lovely Shelly Fabares) is good for a laugh.

Also like M*A*S*H, Extreme Makeover Home Edition, a lot of the Discovery channel series'....

The Simpsons...Doh!

"American Chopper" hits close to home.. in the late '80's I worked for a company building film projectors which was EXACTLY like the shop on the show!! The dad was a grouch with incredible talent, the son was a doofus with a flair for his work, there was a lot of cussin' and fightin' going on... "Chopper" is only missing the beautiful yet uptight daughter and stern wife to be a perfect duplicate.

A recent set of "American Hot Rod" featured a car commissioned by a client of mine, V. Hildebrandt.
Posted By: GA76JW Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/20/05 07:19 PM
The last thing I want to watch is teenagers complaining how bad they got it.

You should consider your self lucky then. I hear this everytime I go to school. I am the oldest apprentice in my class and one of two that are married. And I'm only 28.

The best was during tax time when all those that live at home with mommy and daddy were talking about what they were gonna do with their refunds. All of them were talking about ways to *tinkle* it away. One said he was gonna put rims on his truck. I was just hoping we would get a refund back.

Must be nice to live your life like they do on those reality shows.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/20/05 10:02 PM
OK, Bob....
"24" "House" and a lot of surfing the HD channels on the weekend. THe CSI's, & Law & Order time permitting; "Jag" is also OK.

Roger:
NICE!!!!!

John
Posted By: circuit man Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/20/05 10:02 PM
my favorites quantum leap,twilight zone both the black & white,& the color one.buck rogers in the 25 century.macgyver,just to name a few.almost forgot the best one the three stooges,nuk,nuk!

[This message has been edited by circuit man (edited 06-20-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/20/05 11:11 PM
Wow Roger,
That's certainly no kitset furniture.
Impressive!. [Linked Image]
I don't really watch a lot of TV these days, mainly because there's so much rubbish on it. [Linked Image]
However, I used to like a lot of British comedies when they where on TV here, like:
  • Till Death Do Us Part- Although you wouldn't get away with airing that these days in this PC world.
  • Steptoe And Son
  • The Goodies
  • Father Ted

About the only US programme that I watch these days is The Simpsons.

[Linked Image]

{Message edited to fix up list}
{D'Oh!} [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-20-2005).]
Posted By: IanR Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/21/05 05:45 PM
Stargate
The History channel,Discovery channel and Sci Fi channel have a lot of shows I watch.
Posted By: mvrandazzo Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/21/05 06:11 PM
Count me in as a Trekkie. I hope I'm not the only one. Let it be known that I don't take it to the point of living it and dressing up. Although I have been to a couple of conventions.

"Live Long and Prosper"......Er, I mean See Ya Later!
Mark
Posted By: pauluk Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/21/05 11:37 PM
History and documentaries are always fascinating.

As for comedy and other general entertainment, I go mostly for the old stuff -- Off the top of my head:

Bilko, Get Smart, Cannon, The Naked City, Andy Griffith, Dragnet, Patty Duke Show, Space 1999, The Avengers, The Waltons, Little House...
You get the idea. [Linked Image]

However, I used to like a lot of British comedies when they where on TV here
Yep, saw a good few myself over the years, but that's not surprising, right? [Linked Image]

* Steptoe And Son
Very British that one. I find the earlier episodes from the sixties far superior to the later seventies, color ones after the show made a comeback.

* Till Death Do Us Part- Although you wouldn't get away with airing that these days in this PC world.
Nope -- Probably about as likely as finding an NAACP-backed radio station playing Johnny Rebel records! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-21-2005).]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/27/05 01:40 AM
Oh, c'mon, you guys! What about the best variety show in history? (IMHO)

The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson!

I recently got the complete set on DVD. Get it; you'll laugh out loud.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/27/05 02:24 AM
For me I like old reruns of Hawaii Five-0. Its neat to see what has changed about Honolulu since that show.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/27/05 02:57 AM
Lost
CSI
Las Vegas
House
Law & Order
Boston Legal (is it cancelled?)
Mad Money (CNBC)
Tonight Show
Chappelle's Show
John Ratzenburger' Made In America
American Chopper

...And Much More

Thank You TIVO!!!
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/30/05 12:27 AM
Get Smart - my all-time fav ("I TOLD you not to tell me that!" and since I work in a place where most have a security clearance I really, really would like to have that cone of silence!)

I like the design shows and gardening shows on TLC and HGTV. I like to watch the Food Network once in a while too but you probably won't catch me cooking like they do... lol! I like to direct hubby's attention to the grilling shows though - it pays off in tasty meals.

My girls and I watch a lot of Animal Planet and a lot of Discovery Health since one wants to be a veterinarian and the other wants to be a doctor.

We also like to watch Overhaulin', Pimp My Ride and similar automotive shows as a family. We also watch quite a bit of the History Channel and the Discovery Channel, too.

I can't tolerate soap operas or many of the talk shows... icky!

Lastly, I watch golf on tv but that's about the only sport where there is peace and quiet as I can't stand screaming crowds or rpms in my own living room - best to take those in person, I suppose.
Posted By: Tech-Home Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/30/05 01:51 AM
GUNSMOKE, every day on the Encore Western channel at 5 and 6pm Central time, no commercials.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/30/05 02:28 AM
My favourite TV shows have the following things in common:
- I find it accidentally, while channel surfing, halfway into it;
- I see it a few more times, on a hit-or-miss basis, until it gets 'programmed' into my schedule;
- About then the network begins moving it all over the shaedule;
- I finally find it again, and it gets pre-empted by every sporting event this side of tiddlywinks; and,
- It just "disappears," and I can never remember the name.

The last "Star Trek" series..."Enterprise" followed this pattern to a T. Too bad.

Shows I can't stand are invariably shown four nights aweek, sometimes on four channels at once, and have perpetual re-runs.
Posted By: pauluk Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 06/30/05 10:22 AM
Shows I can't stand are invariably shown four nights aweek, sometimes on four channels at once, and have perpetual re-runs.
Prime time TV over here now is mostly utter garbage. Actually 95% of the main networks is garbage. They still show some of the good old stuff from time to time, but quite often they keep repeating the same episodes over and over while shows that haven't been seen in years never get a screening now.
Get Smart - my all-time fav ("I TOLD you not to tell me that!" and since I work in a place where most have a security clearance I really, really would like to have that cone of silence!)
You're not always in locations like Agent 13 are you? [Linked Image]

I'm still working on converting an old Bell System Trimline into a shoephone...... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: What's Your Favorite TV Show. - 07/01/05 01:30 AM
Reno, you need a TiVo. It will take care of every one of your concerns, even skipping duplicates when you set up season recordings.

You can search for programs based on title, genre, actor, keywords, etc. It evn adjusts for program delays and reschedules.
© ECN Electrical Forums