ECN Forum
Posted By: doggz109 sore feet - 06/10/05 03:44 AM
Hello everyone! I just started my apprenticeship this week and I am very green. Never worked electrical at all until this week, but I am really liking it so far. The problem is that my feet/calves are killing me from going up and down the ladder so much. I know this is part of the trade and to be expected, but does anyone have any tips or tricks to soothe the pain and swelling until my body adapts to the new routine? Thanks!
Posted By: BigB Re: sore feet - 06/10/05 03:52 AM
It's just because you're new at it, once you're used to it your feet and calves will be fine. Give it a month or so.
Posted By: BigB Re: sore feet - 06/10/05 03:53 AM
Oh and a couple beers helps the pain
Posted By: u2slow Re: sore feet - 06/10/05 05:32 AM
I stiffer sole should help with ladders. I notice when I'm doing ladder work around the house. That's because I usually put on my running shoes instead of my work boots. [Linked Image]

If possible, try not to wear a heavy toolbelt when on ladders. Just put the few tools you need in your overalls' pockets.
Posted By: e57 Re: sore feet - 06/10/05 06:44 AM
Do you stretch before a work out, try it before work. It's done wonders for my back!

Good shoes.

Lighten your load, over packed bags are people who like pain.

Time won't heal all wounds, but a good massage might help.

Even if all else doesnt fail, BigB's advice is good, might I suggest a fine Belgian beer, Chimay Red. http://www.chimay.be/
Posted By: gfretwell Re: sore feet - 06/10/05 06:08 PM
I will second the footwear comment. 99% of foot problems are caused where the rubber meets the road.

BTW be very careful about shoving tools in your pocket, particularly screwdrivers and other pointy stuff. If you fall they can become weapons, poking holes in your body where holes don't belong. The company I used to work for had a strict rule about never carrying tools in your pocket.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: sore feet - 06/10/05 06:27 PM
Think your feet hurt now?

Wait after 20yrs, then your legs hurt, then comes the back, fingers stop working, brain gets fried........

Oh the joys of being a electricain....

Dnk.......
Posted By: growler Re: sore feet - 06/10/05 06:57 PM
Next week you will be pulling wire and your back and shoulders will hurt so much you'll forget about your feet. Wait till you get to put in your first 100 receptacles. I have had more guys find out what they are in for doing simple little jobs than anything else. Electrical work is a life time of pain in some area of the body. Take care of your back and stay physicaly fit as possible.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: sore feet - 06/10/05 08:56 PM
Welcome to the trade ! Please feel free to post your questions here. We always enjoy a new fresh topic.
Be very careful about tools in your pockets. Screwdriver into the kidney is no fun.
Buy the best boots you can !!
I always wear Redwings. Expensive but they last and are comfortable.
Like the others said these pains will pass and other pains will come.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: sore feet - 06/10/05 09:18 PM
And the scars. Got a beauty on my left foot from being nailed to the floor in 1967 by a morse taper chuck that fell out of a radial drill, c/w 5/16" jobbers' drill bit.
Alan
Posted By: derater Re: sore feet - 06/10/05 11:31 PM
Gotta agree w/ dnk;it starts w/ the feet and moves up, calves, hips, back, shoulders, neck,and of couse the brain cramps trying to remember it all.Footgear w/
wimpy soles is the worst for ladder work.
Good luck, and if you PERSONALLY haven't
de-energized the circuit,test it before you touch it.

[This message has been edited by derater (edited 06-10-2005).]
Posted By: n1ist Re: sore feet - 06/11/05 12:25 AM
> Good luck, and if you PERSONALLY haven't de-energized the circuit,test it before you touch it.

Test it even if you have... Between people powering things back on and circuits improperly fed on both ends, you can get surprised.
Posted By: trollog Re: sore feet - 06/11/05 01:13 AM
1. boots wih a steel shank in the sole.. helps take the pressure "hot spots" you get on ladder rungs off your feet

2. tall boots.. at least 8 hole. I can't stand these low cut boots that are everywhere out there that just barely pass your ankle- no support there. Try a pair that goes as high as your socks and you will notice a difference.

3. light weight!

I have been trying different boots to find the perfect one. Still haven't found it yet, but I have never gone home tired (foot-tired, at least....) with a pair of Magnum boots. They aren't the burliest boots on the market to be sure, but they are pretty cheap and made by turntec- a running shoe company- and you can definitely feel it. They are leather/nylon so they are very light on your feet and they also have steel shanks in the sole. For underground/ditch/shovel work they are a bit light but I find hem great for scampering up and down ladders
Posted By: sierra electrician Re: sore feet - 06/11/05 01:22 AM
Are you saying your "doggz" are tired?
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: sore feet - 06/11/05 06:12 PM
In reagards to the boot issue:

I have had every pair known to man kind I think.
The worst ones for me were the $200+ ones like Cat, and them Wolverines. They hurt from day one till the day I threw them out.

The most comfortable boot for me were the Tom Mcann's. From K-mart. And they only cost $39.00.

Go figure......

Dnk........
© ECN Electrical Forums