ECN Forum
Posted By: royta can size vs. ceiling height - 06/03/05 01:41 PM
With the recent thread on can manufacture, I thought I'd ask what size cans you use for various ceiling heights. If you use 6" for 8 foot ceilngs, are you dropping down to an R30, or you still using an R40?
Posted By: Active 1 Re: can size vs. ceiling height - 06/03/05 02:36 PM
We use R-30's for most cases. For 2 story lights in big rooms Par38 90-100w work better but it costs much more.

Tom
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: can size vs. ceiling height - 06/03/05 06:58 PM
I second the motion ... R30s are usually fine and they're easier to get in & out of the can (more finger room). I just put a few in a sitting room with a 9'2" ceiling. No noticeable light loss.
Posted By: royta Re: can size vs. ceiling height - 06/03/05 08:00 PM
So, you're both using 6" cans regardless of ceilng height?
Posted By: Active 1 Re: can size vs. ceiling height - 06/03/05 09:41 PM
I don't remember seeing a house with a can bigger then 6" unless your count those old square things.

6" is just the standard size. 5" cans can use the R-30 65w also so there is not much differance except price. 4" can go 50w and same with the 3". Smaller cans can look nice but cost more and are harder to work with.

A taller cieling lets the light spread out farther. One rule of thumb is the light sperads out 1/2 the distance of the hight. In the back of some can catologs has a lot of details for different combos of cans, trims, bulbs, & hights. You can make 6" work for most things you just have to space them for what you need.

Someone could write a small book on lighting and different recomended spacing for what is needed. I would buy it. Otherwise it is lear by doing. Pay also attention to finished jobs that others have done. What works, what is shadowy, & find the goofs (like a can avove a frig).

Once you understand what is needed the next thing is making the customer understand. Too often they request too few cans to save. Then it can be a battle just to make them understand thy don't know what they need.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Active 1 (edited 06-03-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums