ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Little Giant LAdder type MXZ - 06/02/05 01:04 AM
I currently have a 16' fiberglass, 2-man stepladder, weighing in at 100 lbs.
It is difficult to maneuver, even with help.
I am considering a "Little Giant" commercial series ladder that is even higher, but it compacts down to about 12'.
Has anyone used one of these?
They are expensive, but, I am thinking that the maneuverability may be worth it, especially if I have to work alone.
Posted By: bot540 Re: Little Giant LAdder type MXZ - 06/02/05 02:05 AM
I used one once when a homeowner asked if I wanted to use his. I think the thing is great, it worked very well. I've seen cheaper models that look like crap. I don't know how it would hold up for commercial use but I don't see why it wouldn't.
Posted By: JoeMed Re: Little Giant LAdder type MXZ - 06/02/05 02:59 AM
These are awesome! They have a lifetime warranty, and durable. I can not speak highly enough about them. They also have a 90* feature vs. the only "A" style.
Posted By: livetoride Re: Little Giant LAdder type MXZ - 06/02/05 05:38 AM
I like mine alot. Very handy worth the money IMHO. Rod
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Little Giant LAdder type MXZ - 06/02/05 06:09 AM
I thought those Little Giant ladders are heavy. Don't they conduct electricity?

I hate getting out the 16' step but once you get it in the room one guy holds the bottom while the other walks it up, then wespread the legs.

I wish I had a 14' too but no room or need for it now. It does fit a little easier.

Tom
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: Little Giant LAdder type MXZ - 06/02/05 10:38 AM
In our school system we have a bunch of them (not sure of the model). We use the big ones to change lights in the auditoriums. They are good and bad. The good: 1)goes to about 22' an is solid all the way up. 2)Will allow you to make the two sides different lengths to accomodate sloped floors. The bad: 1)as we put it "it take 3 men and a boy to handle it". (unless you have a wide open space, then 2 can do it). 2) difficult to transport due to being about 12' long (closed) and the base is about 4' wide.
All in all we like them ... just don't plan on a 1 man crew using it, not even on a big project.
Posted By: GovtVoltage Re: Little Giant LAdder type MXZ - 06/02/05 03:28 PM
Little giants are indeed great.......they do make a Fiberglass version.....but I bet that thing costs an arm and a leg.....could save your life though.

These ladders are awesome on stairs!!!
Posted By: Redsy Re: Little Giant LAdder type MXZ - 06/02/05 10:14 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
I would use this for 2-story chandeliers an ceiling fans.
I am thinking about the mid-sized one, but I was hoping to be able to handle it by myself.
http://www.lgladders.com/lgladders/typemxz.cfm
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Little Giant LAdder type MXZ - 06/03/05 11:02 AM
Redsy,
I found them to be a liitle lighter, but much more "aukward" (sp) than a traditional fiberglass ladder.
I found them harder to carry, and they really don't extend and manuever as you would think they do.

This is my opinion of them only.

For Chandeliers of that hieght, if you do alot of them, it may pay you to use bakers scaffolding. One guy can set it up, and I found alot less chances of scratching floors than setting up a big ladder.

Dnk........
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Little Giant LAdder type MXZ - 06/03/05 01:08 PM
We're got one at the shop that we don't use often.

They are heavy. Guys always grumble whe we have to use it.

But they are amazingly stable to use and we can reach some really high gymnasium ceilings.

If we're doing anything more than a couple of ballasts, we trailer a man lift instead. Faster and easier use and less backbreaking to move around.
© ECN Electrical Forums