ECN Forum
Posted By: Electric Ian right angle drill - 05/22/05 02:55 AM
About to buy a 1/2" right angle drill. Suggestions?
Posted By: bot540 Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 03:00 AM
buy a Milwaukee
Posted By: renosteinke Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 03:36 AM
Payback time!!!!

What are you using the drill for?
For occasional access in tight spots, my cordless 14v DeWalt has worked well- but only has a 3/8 chuck.

When the time came for running lots of MC in wood studs, and I would need a nail-eater bit, I gor a sorded drill...the Milwaukee 1/2" "close quarter drill, to be exact. It broke on the fourth 5/8" hole.
After repair under warranty..three weeks...it worked fine for hundreds of holes, untill I again hit a nail, and SNAP....that drill spent almost three monthes "in repair," until the vendor replaced it. The Milwaukee rep- a fine gent who once told me I wasn't enough of a "pro" for a "real" drill, and should stick to less powerful homeowner makes- asserted that I was abusing the tool, and should get a different tool.
Please note that Milwaukee's literature is devoid of any suggestion that there are ANY limits on their tools.

Both times, I was saved by my Harbor Freight, made in China, clone of the "hole hawg." $300 vs. $75...the choice was easy!

Now Milwaukee does make a heftier drill, one that is not nearly as cumbersome as the "Hole Hawg." After my expereinces with Milwaukee, I agree with the rep that I need a different drill.....I just haven't decided if it will be yellow or blue!
Posted By: Tiger Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 04:09 AM
I have a 1/2" right angle drill that sits in the truck for months at a time. Most of my drilling is with a 3/8" or 1/2" std. keyed drill. Although I rarely use the right angle drill, I do like the slow speed. The 1/2" std can be a wrist breaker. All my corded tools are Porter-Cable.

Dave
Posted By: DougW Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 04:52 AM
I have a Makita hole hawg clone I got used from an EC that ws going back to his old shop. Great for full sized stud bays.

For tight angles? one of the 90 degree headed jobs would be better...
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 08:14 AM
I have a Makita DA391DW, 9.6v. 3 years old and still runs beautifully, like all my Makita stuff, and it gets used nearly every day. In fact since I dropped my old 6228 and smashed the trigger, it's my only cordless drill presenly running. Sometimes I wish it had a 1/2" chuck, but it's horses for courses. If you already run a 12v Makita standard cordless pistol drill, the DA312DWA might be better- you would then have interchangeable 12v batteries. Recommended.
Alan
Posted By: e57 Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 09:14 AM
I have had the same Milwaukee right angle for over ten years, the only problem I have with is that I occassionaly loose the chuck key. I have hit all kinds of nails, and bolts once or twice with it and no problems. Can't even think of how many holes I've drilled. You really have to try to break one! I think the only one I have ever broken was an employers, and it was after drilling through most of a condo complex, for 8 hours straight, for several months. Replaced the brushes, and back to work.

renosteinke must be talking about the wierd light duty one that looks like a bird for some reason. I don't think that one could handle a wood auger of any size.

Red, blue, gray or yellow, most of these are standard, old, "user-servicable" designs, and haven't changed much for reasons. To me: it seems that it's not so much where they are made, but the quality of the design. Most of the newer tools, and especially ever changing cord-less tools are compromised from the bat in design. Which seem more, and more disposable. The corded Milwaukee right-angle design is just about perfected, and hasn't changed much in 20 years, and for the most part, "user-servicable". You can get an old one from a flee market, and if doesn't work, with a few changes of "user-servicable" parts have it working in no time.

(removed over-size link)

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 05-22-2005).]

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 05-22-2005).]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 09:34 AM
It
happened
again,
what
fun!
Alan
Posted By: walrus Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 12:04 PM
Milwaukee makes a 28v? cordless right angle drill now. Anyone use their line of tools with the lithium ion battery. Seems like quite a rig, the price I saw for a kit was 800 bucks. They quote twice the run time of all other tools and supposedely the tools run full speed until the battery is dead, no slowing down. Batterys have a charge indicator on them and a 2 year warranty
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 12:48 PM
We have a Milwaukee RA drill and have had great luck with it. However, our company just banned anyone from purchasing or replacing our cordless drills with any DeWalt brand. We have gone thru 5 9W972 12V cordless drills. Seems the transmissions (clutch) don't hold up. We are all switching to Bosch. hope we have better luck! I'll know shortly, I just got mine.
Posted By: Redsy Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 01:13 PM
I'm a Milwaukee user.
I have had the same problem as reno with the "close quarter drill" but it is not really designed for continually boring studs with paddle-type bits. Just occasionally in tight spots.
I use a "Hole Hawg" and I like it.
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 01:49 PM
I am a big fan and user of Makita tools. I have many Porter Cable and Milwaukee tools as well.
I just recently made one of the best purchases though.
Milwaukee SUPER HAWG! This thing is the best RA type drill I have ever used. It is quite big, but it is not much more to sling around than a typical RA drill. I know Makita makes a very similar one, but my main supply house is a Milwaukee dealer and I got a good deal.

I also have a very heavy duty and well made Porter Cable standard RA drill. Only problem wiht this one is in low speed it is too slow for smaller holes (+/- 1"). In high speed it has a hard time driving medium sized bits (>1") in harder wood.

I'll bet the Super Hawg will pay for itself in short order since it drills probably twice as fast as a typical RA drill with no bogging down at all.
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 01:50 PM
PS - Can a moderator use some alternative text to make that link above a realistic length?
Posted By: seh Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 02:02 PM
Ian, Iv'e been using a Dewalt corded right angle drill now for 9 years now without a single problem-some new construction, lot's of remodel and, while it's starting to look a little rough, it's well worth the money spent on it.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 03:47 PM
Milwaukee here. They have about 4 styles and some are available in different speeds. Some have a option to change the speed some don't.

Never tried the smallest one that fits in your palm.

The next size up is great for drillg up/down tight against the stud, is lighter, smaller, and good for work in finished walls. The speed is slower. The head can be rotated around which is nice. To change te speed if possable you have to take the head off (PITA). It will twist on you if it hits something but not too bad. The forward/reverse switch is too small.

Then the hole hog is biger, heavier, and faster. Dose not fit in tight places well but you still can drill a hole up/down close to a stud. I would not use it for much finished work. It will kick you. It seemed like the forward/reverse switch could be in a better place.

The best for roughing is the super hole hog. It's big & heavy but very fast. It makes the normal RA drill look like a toy. It is fast. Easy to change speeds and from forward to reverse. It is said to have a cluch to keep it from kicking back on low. I don't know because we don't use low much. I will say that the drill never kicked back on us once. One thing I hate is it will not get tight to the stud drilling up or down. If you drill the hole straight you will be about 1/2" off the stud.

WE use the super hole hog & the standard RA. Most our work is pipe so our holes are 1 1/8 - 1 1/4.
Tom
Posted By: renosteinke Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 04:12 PM
To be fair, I was speaking about the "weird thing that looks like a bird" and "fits in your palm."

I suppose that what irked me was the delay, attitudes, and mis-information that I received. And the excuses. Why, oh why, couldn't they just have said "Sorry" and replaced it right off? Instead I got the third degree as to purchase date (on the day after I'd bought it), lots of "our policy...", as well as "we didn't make it (even if it has our name on it)," "talkt to the dealer- rep- repair- cust svc- regional mgr (who's on vacation)- anyone but who you're speaking with right now!" And to let it languish for months in "repair"- they were a lot prompter in taking my money!

And, for the record, I did declare the intended use at the time of purchase- even bought the drill bits (ship augers) at the same time. Only after it broke did the tune change from "You'll be real happy" to "it's your fault- the drill isn't intended for that job." One might blame the salesman- but for the fact the salesman replaced the thing even though Milwaukee has yet to authorise the replacement.

Most discouraging of all is that everyone involved- including the folks at customer service- attributed my 'trail of tears' to the recent purchase of Milwaukee by the Chinese. Excuses everywhere!

I know Milwaukee has decades of making excellent tools behind it; their customers love them with an almost religious fervor. My recent expereince suggests their faith will be soon shaken.
I am not on a 'crusade' against Milwaukee- if Milwaukee is smart, they will hear my tale and learn from it.
Posted By: Electric Ian Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 05:00 PM
renosteinke, tell me a bit about that Harbor Freight, made in China, clone of the "hole hawg". Have you really had good luck with that thing?
Posted By: nesparky Re: right angle drill - 05/22/05 10:48 PM
Have a milwalke RA drill and 3 Hole hawgs for over 5 years now. drill 3/4" to 3-1/2" holes all the time. Other than repairs for one of the hole hogs that was dropped 4 floors have not had any problems yet. Just have to make sure the drill operator is using it in the intended range. Smallest bits 1/2" to 1-1/4" fast any thing larger use slow speed. Keep the bits sharp and you can drill for 8-10 hours a day for months.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: right angle drill - 05/23/05 01:23 AM
Yes, Ian, I have had good luck with it....but so far it's main use is cutting large holes in enclosures. The only "down" side has been that the chuck key holder is useless- so I've attached the key with...well, you can guess who made the little rubber thing hanging from the cord :-).
For the price, I'm willing to take the chance.
Posted By: derater Re: right angle drill - 05/24/05 09:56 PM
Anyone familiar w/ a D- handle drill w/a rocker switch for forward/reverse? I subbed for a guy a few years ago who loved it; I only used it a few days but I remember it was cool.Long bits backed out slick.Does Mitsubishi make tools? I think that's what it was.I remember he said it was pricey-but the good stuff always is.I think it was green.
Posted By: hbiss Re: right angle drill - 05/24/05 11:15 PM
I have used the same Milwaukee RA for over 20 years. This is the "D" handle one that has the RA adaptor on it. Only time I had a problem was a couple of years ago when I used it with a 6-1/2" abrasive hole saw to cut holes in a plaster ceiling. The hole saw grabbed (mainly because it is not variable speed) and knocked a tooth off a gear. No big deal to fix and it was time to repack the gearcase with new grease anyway. Looking forward to another 20 years with it.

A buddy of mine once told me of the problems he was having with Hole Hogs. Seemed he bought one from the place with the orange roof, used it a few times and had problems with a gear chipping. Wasn't using anything big, normal 3/4 and 1" augers. He exchanged it and soon after had the same problem with the new drill. Now he gets his money back and buys a third Hole Hog from one of those internet tool places. Hasn't had a problem since.

What does that tell you about Home Depot?

-Hal
Posted By: electure Re: right angle drill - 05/25/05 01:26 AM
I've got the Milwaukee I bought to replace a Makita that lasted about 2 weeks before it burnt up......In about 1980.

I've never had a bit of trouble with it. If I do, I've fortunately got the Milwaukee Service place about 2 miles from home. [Linked Image]

Were these old ones built differently than the newer ones? I've used a couple and they just don't feel the same.
Posted By: Tiger Re: right angle drill - 05/25/05 02:22 AM
A VERY good point. Having a 20 year old tool that is solid as a rock means NOTHING. You can't get that tool anymore. The new version of that is likely to be cheap.

Dave
© ECN Electrical Forums