ECN Forum
Posted By: Bert66 kitchen circuits - 05/18/05 04:11 PM
Guy's I've looked all over 210.52 and have not found anything that says the dishwasher and disposal needs to be on their own circuit. I have 2 dedicated circuits in the kitchen (4 if you count the microwave and refrigerator) and due to real estate in the panel I grabbed power for the dishwasher and disposal from one of the kitchen circuits.
Well the inspector frowned upon it and wants it on it's own circuit. I would have normally had it that way. Have any of you been turned down for this? He is also wanting me to install the attic lights w/switch and GFI's now. This is only the rough in!!! I've had this guy on another inspection without this kind of grief. At best maybe he just got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Thanks for your replys, Bert
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: kitchen circuits - 05/18/05 04:45 PM
Because they are both equipment fixed in place, neither of them would be permitted to consume more than 50% of the branch circuit rating (I am assuming 20 amps). Also, branch circuits must be sized to the load served, so you will have to add the rating of the two together and make sure it doesn't exceed the rating of the breaker.

210.19(A)(2)
210.23(A)(2)
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: kitchen circuits - 05/18/05 04:47 PM
Where you said that you supplied these with the kitchen circuits...so you mean the two small appliance branch circuits? If so, that would violate 210.11(C)(1).
Posted By: Bert66 Re: kitchen circuits - 05/18/05 05:54 PM
Sorry Ryan, could you explain the violation of 210.11(C)(1). I'm still not clear as to how it violates this code. 210.11(C)(1) states Small-Appilance Branch Circuits in addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, two or more 20 amp small appliance branch circuits shall be provided for ALL receptacle outlets specified by 210.52(B)
If I'm reading 210.52(B)(3) correct it doesn't state this as being violated. It does mention that Additional small-appliance branch circuits shall be permitted to supply receptacle outlets in the kitchen and other rooms specified in 210.52(B)(1). No small-appliance branch circuit shall serve more than one kitchen. Exhibit 210.52 in the NEC 2005 handbook shows one of the branch circuits feeding the disposal.

[This message has been edited by Bert66 (edited 05-18-2005).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: kitchen circuits - 05/18/05 09:04 PM
210.52 B 2 Says the two or more sa branch circuits specified in B 1 shall have no other outlets. Your appliances would be considered other outlets as they are not listed in what the sa circuits can feed. The picture in the handbook is not the code. I don't have it in front of me but I bet the example shows a clock receptcle not a garbage disposal. The DW and disp do not necesarily have to be on their own circuit depends on the load. Also they need not be 20 amp circuits. My editorial. Do you really think using a small appliance circuit to feed a dishwasher AND a disposal AND who knows what else will be plugged into the circuit is a good idea?
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: kitchen circuits - 05/18/05 09:23 PM
Ditto Scott's response. The handbook picture (actually exhibit 210.25, not 210.52) shows a clock, not a wate disposal.

Read Scott's reply, he hit it right on the head.
Posted By: Bert66 Re: kitchen circuits - 05/18/05 09:25 PM
scott I would not have normally done it this was. But due to the layout it made it easer to run the wires. I'm going to fix it the way the inspector wants it to be. I was just trying to understand the technical side of the code. In closing, Scott I believe your correct about the diagram in the handbook being a clock. It caught me off gaurd as it was located at the sink in both pictures.
Posted By: George Re: kitchen circuits - 05/19/05 03:12 PM
I believe 252 B 1 allows adding required floor and wall recepts to the 2 required small appliance circuits.

As long as the dishwasher and disposal are plug and cord connected, their recepts are allowed to be on the 2 required small appliance recepts.
Posted By: Bert66 Re: kitchen circuits - 05/19/05 07:08 PM
George, that is how I viewed this. But being it's such a short run I will probably do it like the inspector wants. But I will question it for future referance.
Posted By: e57 Re: kitchen circuits - 05/21/05 09:01 AM
Cord and plug connected or not, countertop ciruits are to have no other outlets according to 210.52B(2)

No Other Outlets. The two or more small-appliance branch circuits specified in 210.52(B)(1) shall have no other outlets.
Exception No. 1: A receptacle installed solely for the electrical supply to and support of an electric clock in any of the rooms specified in 210.52(B)(1).
Exception No. 2: Receptacles installed to provide power for supplemental equipment and lighting on gas-fired ranges, ovens, or counter-mounted cooking units.

A dishwasher, and disposal don't fall into either exception. Depending on what the loads are, you may be able to divide these up on to other than the circuits feeding the countertops. But you would be better off making them dedicated.

"At best maybe he just got up on the wrong side of the bed." - Sounds like hes doing his job. (And, I don't stick up for Inspectors too often. Sorry Ryan.) But the way I see it, you're giving him something else to look for when you give him something like this. As for the switched lights in the attic, I'll assume there are stairs leading to it, and he's calling it "Accessable Storage" or "Habitable", and GFI's if there is any servicable equipment up there would make it "Equipment Space". This is covered in 210.70A(3)
Posted By: George Re: kitchen circuits - 05/21/05 05:06 PM
The outlets allowed are listed in 210.52B(1).

"No Other Outlets" from 210.52B(2) is with respect to the outlets allowed in 210.52B(1).

I do not install appliance circuits. I install countertop circuits - 2 20amp circuits supplying only the countertops.

But the instalation as described is allowed.
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: kitchen circuits - 05/21/05 05:51 PM
Let me start by saying I'm still in the 1999 NEC as we are in the dark ages...so if 210-52 has changed, I'm sorry, but in my code book: 210-52 does not seperate the required receptacles in 210-52(a) from the countertop receptacles req'd in 210-52(c). Actually 210-52(b) refers to 210-11(c)(1)which in turn refers us back to 210-52(a) and (c). I don't see where we have to seperate the countertop receptacles from the req'd wall receptacles. The only place in my code that I see that distingushes the countertop receptacles from the wall receptacles is 210-8(a)(6) which requires the countertop receptacles to be GFCI protected but does not prohibit them from being on the same two or more circuits than the req'd wall receptacles.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: kitchen circuits - 05/22/05 01:32 AM
Agreed, HLC. I often place feed-thru GFCI receptacles in wall outlets before the countertop, so none of the more-visible receptacles have to have buttons, and they can match one another.
Posted By: The_Judge Re: kitchen circuits - 05/22/05 02:01 PM
e57 wrote:
...and GFI's if there is any servicable equipment up there would make it "Equipment Space".
GFCI protection is only required for unfinished spaces at or below grade level (210.8).

Other than that, I agree completely with what you wrote. [Linked Image]

George wrote:
But the instalation as described is allowed.
Negative, buddy. Have you ever seen a disposal's receptacle placed at counter level, or not concealed from "wall use" by a cabinet? The 2 or more SA circuits are to used for Wall/Counter/Refrigeration use in the rooms specified in (B)(1) only.

A receptacle in a cabinet or behind an appliance (dishwasher) is a violation of (B)(2). Those outlets are not serving wall/counter/fridge space. [Linked Image]

You can supply all those appliances with circuits that do not have outlets serving wall/counter/fridge space. But as soon as you have one receptacle on that "appliance" circuit serving wall/counter/fridge space in the areas described in (B)(1), then that circuit instantly becomes a "small-appliance branch circuit", trying to comply with that code. You have a violation.

Simply put: Put circuits for counter/wall/fridge receptacles for (B)(1) on their own, and then sprinkle in your fixed appliances on their own dedicated or combined circuits after. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by The_Judge (edited 05-22-2005).]
Posted By: George Re: kitchen circuits - 05/22/05 05:11 PM
The_Judge ---

"A receptacle in a cabinet or behind an appliance (dishwasher) is a violation of (B)(2)."

I do not see these code prohibitions you give with regard to the wall/floor recepts.

In particular, recpts in appliance garages are on the small appliance circuts.
Posted By: e57 Re: kitchen circuits - 05/22/05 07:05 PM
Judge, depending on what code you're on-GFI's service recpt's are needed in any closet, crawl, attic, roof where the HVAC guy stuffed a furnace, or ac.

210.63 Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration Equipment Outlet.
A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means.
FPN:See 210.8 for ground-fault circuit-interrupter requirements.
Section 210.63 is intended to prevent makeshift methods of obtaining 125-volt power for servicing and troubleshooting heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The reference to 210.8 in the fine print note to 210.63 reminds the Code user of the GFCI requirements for these receptacle outlets. The requirements in 210.52(E) for outdoor dwelling unit receptacles located within 25 ft of this equipment will meet the requirements of 210.63.
The requirements of 210.63 were expanded for the 2002 Code to improve worker safety. As a result, a receptacle outlet is now required for troubleshooting heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment at grade-accessible outdoor equipment and at rooftop units associated with one- and two-family dwelling units.

George, 210.52 as a 'section' covers recpt's in dwellings. And part 'A' is all the other rooms of a house, part 'B' is kitchens, pantry, dining rm., etc. Anyway, right before this section splits into these parts, you have this: And it covers all in the 'section'
210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets.
This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets. Receptacle outlets required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is part of a luminaire (lighting fixture) or appliance, located within cabinets or cupboards, or located more than 1.7 m (51/2 ft) above the floor.

Then Part 'B' covers the two circuits required in 210.11(C)(1), and any from it that are part of the ones covered in part 'A', like walls in kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room. And also the countertops they are intented for covered in part 'C'.

210.52B(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A) and (C) and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.

Then 210.52B(2)No other outlets

I believe in the 2005 code, it better defines the appliance garage issue. I'm not sure if it seperates them from these circuits too?

Either way, the appliance circuits rules apply to the DW/GB circuits, being "fastened in place". Another story all together.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 05-22-2005).]
Posted By: The_Judge Re: kitchen circuits - 05/23/05 12:55 AM
Judge, depending on what code you're on-GFI's service recpt's are needed in any closet, crawl, attic, roof where the HVAC guy stuffed a furnace, or ac.
Where does it state that receptacles in an attic need GFCI protection?

George, e57's reference to the main section 210.52 (before the "A") is the most accurate reason why receptacles in cabinets are not considered in (A) or (C).

In addition, let me add this: 210.52(B) is very specific regarding what SA circuits can feed.

Look at the exceptions to (B)(2). If receptacles concealed by appliances or cabinets were acceptable, why would the exceptions mention them? The items you see in the exceptions would directly violate the rule if not excepted from it. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums