ECN Forum
Posted By: bot540 Abandoned runs - 04/20/05 02:00 AM
I'm doing a rehab job turning a old hotel into a retirement center and there is alot of exsisting openings that will no longer be in use. Does the NEC make mention of abandoned boxes,runs,ect. I wondering if I need to remove these completely to be code complient or if I can just demo the run that feeds these and let them mud over them?
Posted By: highkvoltage Re: Abandoned runs - 04/20/05 02:45 AM
I am almost possitive there is a section that you have to remove any unused old conduit, box, equipment and conductors. I remember it from the 2002 NEC code class. I am trying to look it up for you.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Abandoned runs - 04/20/05 03:52 AM
No, only low voltage. This has been a hot topic for some who would like to see the code changed to require all abandoned wiring and materials removed.

The reason low voltage wiring must be removed is because it adds to the fire/smoke load. Tough to argue that basis when you are talking about pipe and boxes. About the only thing it could be is a workmanship issue which the code does not strictly define.

-Hal
Posted By: mxslick Re: Abandoned runs - 04/20/05 07:06 PM
On some of the Air Force installations I've been on, any abandoned boxes/conduits were labeled "ABNDN"

I guess one could tag any wires the same way...
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Abandoned runs - 04/20/05 09:43 PM
Remember also that this rule for low voltage applies only to the accessible portions of such cables. That does not include cables in raceways, by definition.
Posted By: highvoltageguy Re: Abandoned runs - 04/21/05 01:04 AM
anyone know the art.# that says a wire can not be abandoned? I myself when do abandon a wire crimp all the the conductors together (in my area romex)(especially the bare ground)and mark it spare, on both ends. in case some one else down the road decides to hook it back up, with all the conductors tied together should trip a breaker and make who ever do some more investigation. Of course I do agree that removing the abandoned cable is the best choice,and if wires in conduit no problem, but then there's them times!!!!

[This message has been edited by highvoltageguy (edited 04-21-2005).]
Posted By: pdh Re: Abandoned runs - 04/21/05 02:32 AM
Oh look ... here's some abandoned cable. It's running from one room to the next inside a conduit. It's been snipped off on each end and is connected to nothing.

Q: is this high voltage? low voltage? or no voltage?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Abandoned runs - 04/21/05 06:02 AM
You never abandon wire. You tape it back on itself and label it "spare".
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: Abandoned runs - 04/21/05 10:32 AM
I had this discussion with my local inspector about 6 months back. His (our local county's) interpretation was to either cut the wires off where they enter the boxes or cap them off within the boxes. As long as they were not left bare ended for the next guy to accidently hook up they (AHJ) had no problem. It seemed reasonable and fair to me so we capped them and left them.
© ECN Electrical Forums