ECN Forum
Posted By: patb Supporting Track Lighting on grid ceiling - 04/11/05 04:49 PM
I need to rehang commercial grade track on a suspended ceiling. I know it needs to be suported from the building structure and not the grid but the customer is asking me what year did the NEC change the code? I am thinking this happened 8- 10 years ago. Can anyone clarify?

Is this covered under 410-104 or is it a different section?
here in Canada I don,t believe there was ever a change we just screw it to the t-bar or or use caddy clips.
Posted By: patb Re: Supporting Track Lighting on grid ceiling - 04/13/05 12:10 AM
So am I wrong about the track needing to be supported separately from the grid. The track lengths are 10 to 20 feet long.

This would make a big difference in the effort because the trusses are 8 feet above the grid which is at 12 feet. Being it's a jewelery store I can't move the display cases.
Here in Ca fixtures have to be independently supported per earthquake code. Rod
We are required to support the track lighting independent of the ceiling grid in the great state of Mecklenburg, NC. I use a tool purchaced at a ceiling supply house that attaches to a 10' section of rigid pipe and a caddy fastener that snaps onto red iron or primary metal joists. Hope this helps.
© ECN Electrical Forums