ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky66wv Magnetic Liquid - 10/23/01 04:03 AM
Go here for an interesting site on magnets, including ferrofluid...
Posted By: sparky Re: Magnetic Liquid - 10/24/01 12:49 AM
You can use NIB magnets to hang tools from, as shown above, but they can work as an impromptu tool belt as well. Instead of dropping that pointy screwdriver into your pocket, where it'll do its best to make a hole in the lining and, subsequently, you, you can put a magnet in your pocket instead. Now, you can stick the screwdriver to the outside of your jeans. And it'll danged well stay there, too.

LOL!
I started thinking about a new tool belt for a bit here, then i realized i'd be stuck in some panel with it... [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Magnetic Liquid - 10/24/01 02:06 AM
Sorta related...

The first time I used a coil-type PVC bender, about three screwdrivers and a few pairs of pliers flew out of my pouch when I turned the thing on... I *was* standing/leaning close to it, but didn't expect it at all... The audience of co-workers in the plant were in various positions of obvious mirth when I finally realized I'd have to turn it off and let the tools hit the floor...

To have magnetism as a by-product, that thing was strong!
Anybody been there done that?
Posted By: George Corron Re: Magnetic Liquid - 10/24/01 03:07 AM
OK, there's obviously room here for a "magnetic personality" bit. No, Sparky, I've only gotten some dandy toasted sammiches out of 'em.
Posted By: electure Re: Magnetic Liquid - 10/24/01 11:16 AM
The MRI machines in hospitals have been known to rip tools out of the hands and buttons right out of the trouser flies of unwary service guys. [Linked Image]

I carry a magnet to pick up little parts and drill shavings. It also helps to find metal boxes that have been buried by negligent drywallers.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Magnetic Liquid - 10/24/01 07:08 PM
Haven't checked out the link yet, but Ferrofluid is often used in Audio Speakers.

You can purchase Speakers with Ferrofluid or without.

What's this got to do with the price of Tea in China???
Not sure, but next time I am in China, I'll be sure to find out [Linked Image]

Scott SET
© ECN Electrical Forums