ECN Forum
Posted By: JFLS41 Old Work Question - 04/05/05 01:03 PM
How do you comply with the code (314.17cx)when your installing a plastic device box in a concealed wall. I am not aware of a cable clamp for these types of boxes and how are you going to secure the romex 8 inches inside the wall? Is there a staple gun big enough for this? How do others handle comply with this?
Posted By: BobH Re: Old Work Question - 04/05/05 01:47 PM
Old work that is "fished" is considered supported. There are old work boxes available with integral clamps. I've used the plastic boxes and have never had an objection.
Posted By: JFLS41 Re: Old Work Question - 04/05/05 03:10 PM
What about a light switch 48" from floor and you use a box with the built in clamp, your still required to have cable stapled to stud aren't you?
Posted By: BobH Re: Old Work Question - 04/05/05 06:51 PM
Not if it's old work and cable was fished.
Posted By: Electric Ian Re: Old Work Question - 04/05/05 11:35 PM
See 334.30(B)(1)
Posted By: JFLS41 Re: Old Work Question - 04/06/05 01:45 AM
Thanks, I looked for a while trying to find a code that dealt with this issue and couldn't find anything. Whats the secret to locating applicable codes for a given situation?
Posted By: Electric Ian Re: Old Work Question - 04/06/05 02:12 AM
No secret. 600+ hours of code classes and a couple decades of referencing the book helps though.
Posted By: e57 Re: Old Work Question - 04/06/05 02:15 AM
"Whats the secret to locating applicable codes for a given situation?"

How much time you got?

Seachable CD works well.... And those memorable "wake-up calls" from inspections that went bad when I started out.
Posted By: DougW Re: Old Work Question - 04/06/05 04:09 AM
Four little words...

National Electrical Code Handbook.

It's the full text of the Code, with additional info giving examples and explanations of many of the FPN's.

It's not cheap...but it's worth every penny.

(Actually, buying the "pocket" Code book and the Handbook at the same time saves about 15% over separate purchase price.) [Linked Image]
Posted By: highvoltageguy Re: Old Work Question - 04/06/05 04:47 AM
huh, didnt you have to take a test for lic.? and renew it every couple of years? I fint reading the post on here and looking up the question in the code book something to do, and dont just stop at first thing you find unless you all ready pretty postive from exsperience, keep looking for exceptions!!!
Posted By: JFLS41 Re: Old Work Question - 04/06/05 10:53 AM
Actually, in my jurisdiction, we use the UCC-Uniform Construction Codes/International Building Codes
Posted By: JFLS41 Re: Old Work Question - 04/06/05 09:45 PM
Highvoltageguy, to answer your question, no, didn't have to take a test for a lic... I am in Pennsylvania, the state and surrounding counties don't require a lic. Plumbers don't have to either. only exception (to my knowledge) is City of Pittsburgh (I live 30 miles north of there) and Philadelphia. The local municipalities do not issue electrical permits for repair and small jobs, but do for new construction and remodeling. When setting up my business the only requirements I had to comply with is Cert of Insurance.

I am enrolled in online courses with Education Direct and it has a complete mod dedicated to NEC. It uses the NEC 2002. Now, before you act shocked that I am doing electrical work without a Lic. I will say I am striving and endeavoring to abide by all of the codes and I read alot of posts in this forum and Mike Holts sight. I also keep a copy of the "Code Check" flip charts.

So having said that, it was easy to startup my biz, practically on a shoestring, but then again I have to compete with the handymen who do EVERYTHING, like Plumbing, Carpentry, Electrical, Roofing, Painting, You name it, they do it...

I am very grateful for this forum because of the resource it is for me. I hope I am not locked out of the clubhouse because I didn't have to take a test and get licensed?

Jeff
Posted By: GovtVoltage Re: Old Work Question - 04/08/05 11:59 PM
You don't need a license in Pennsylvania? I live there about 10 years ago in the Lewisburg area. I knew it was kind of behind the times.......but no licensing requirement in 2005? That is nuts!
Posted By: JFLS41 Re: Old Work Question - 04/09/05 12:18 AM
Believe me, I mulled over starting my own business for about a year. Didn't know if I wanted to go with plumbing or electrical.

Whats funny about PA is hairdressers and barbers have to get lic. and car salesman do, but not plumbers and electricians. Now if you want to do work in city limits of Pittsburgh and Philly, and perhaps a few other larger cities, you have to take test and have certain amount of time in to get that lic.

I ran across an ad that came out in local paper yesterday that says:

ELECTRICIAN
Lowest Rates in Area!
No Job too Small!
Nobody can beat my rates.
Insured, Call Jim at .........

I wish gasoline companies were driving down prices like these guys do...
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Old Work Question - 04/09/05 12:27 AM
The best way to search the NEC is with "Ferm's Fast Finder," available from the IAEI and the NFPA. Great index, and has loads of other useful info.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Old Work Question - 04/09/05 02:24 AM
Is that book available as an electronic version yet?
Posted By: Redsy Re: Old Work Question - 04/09/05 12:41 PM
I will ditto JFLS41.
I'm in PA, and the only test I ever had to take was Philadelphia.
Most of the local towns only require $100.00 fee and Insurance Certificate. Some don't require even that.
This past Monday I took the NJ Exam.
4 Hrs. NEC
2 Hrs. NJ Business Law.
1 1/2 Hrs. Burglar & Fire Alarm Systems.

What a difference a "bridge" makes ;D

BTW, JFLS41--
Invest in the Handbook and look through it in your free time. Eventually, you will develop a knack for locationg things.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 04-09-2005).]
Posted By: JFLS41 Re: Old Work Question - 04/09/05 01:18 PM
I am getting ready to take the Education Direct Mod that covers the NEC. Plus my course books are the NEC 2002 by Delmar, The visual NEC 2002 by Thomson Learning and I have the Code Check Flip charts I use in front of the customer. I still haven't located a handbook yet.

jeff
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Old Work Question - 04/09/05 02:33 PM
Try electrical-contractor.net....click on 2002 NEC on the left side of the page...scroll down to the 2002 Handbook...click on buy this item, or whatever it says.

Dave
© ECN Electrical Forums