ECN Forum
Posted By: sextonelectric Exhaust Fan Wiring - 03/31/05 12:27 AM
I have 1 exhaust fan for a house. This fan is ducted for the bathrooms and whole house fan. I have 3 timers for which it can be started from. 2 will be located in bathrooms and 1 in laundry room with a 24hr timer. How would this be accomplished? The 2 bathroom timers will be a pushbutton type so they can choose 10 min, 15, 30 etc.

I would imagine the fans would be wired similar to a 3 way - 4way - 3 way switch?

3 timers 1 fan.

Thanks guys

Mike
Posted By: Roger Re: Exhaust Fan Wiring - 03/31/05 01:14 AM
Mike, just wire the timers in parallel, this will let the selected timer{s} operate the fan for the duration of the longest timer setting that is in use.

Roger
Posted By: Zapped Re: Exhaust Fan Wiring - 03/31/05 01:36 AM
I agree with Roger, as I just installed one of these last week with several remote switch locations.

This is a simple two-wire hook up. At each switch/timer location, you have a power wire in and a traveler out (back to the fan). When any one of these switches/timers is closed, the fan activates. You can have infinate single pole/single throw switches/timers installed in parallel on the circuit.

Good Luck!
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: Exhaust Fan Wiring - 03/31/05 11:33 AM
Sexton the prob with your 3way/4way hook up is that guy in bathroom "A" turns it off while the guy in bathroom "B" still wants it on. The parallel hook up allows it to stay on if any of the 3 turn it on. The only prob is that if you use switches instead of timers and it's left on you have to go looking for the swithch that turned it on. (I learned that the hard way).
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: Exhaust Fan Wiring - 04/01/05 03:47 AM
Funny. We had 2 bathrooms back to back in an office building, and the duct guys set up one fan for both. So the guys in charge decided to hook up 3 ways. Pretty funny if you ask me...a brand new doctor's office.
© ECN Electrical Forums