ECN Forum
Posted By: duluth apprenticeship interview - 03/28/05 03:35 PM
I'm going for my interview with the union this week to hopefully get picked for an apprenticeship. I'm just wondering if anyone has been through the process before and can offer any tips or suggestions. They give you basic ideas like not to show up wearing dirty clothes or act like a jerk, but this is my future so I guess I want to make sure if there are any other bases I can cover that I do it. Thanks!
Posted By: johnb Re: apprenticeship interview - 03/28/05 04:43 PM
I also have my interview coming up in 2 weeks. Where are u ? i'm in NJ. I think their trying to determine how dedicated and reliable a person u are. Good luck
Posted By: CTwireman Re: apprenticeship interview - 03/28/05 05:10 PM
I have been through the process and I can give you one vital piece of information: If you don't have a referral from a union member or union contractor, your chances of getting in are slim to none.
Posted By: Celtic Re: apprenticeship interview - 03/28/05 05:44 PM
I've been through it, and unlike CT's comments having a referral was not a factor - I had none.

Here's some tips:
- You will be nervous, but never let them know that
- Be on time. Construction is all about being punctual.
- Be polite (but not to the point where you have a brown nose).
- Be sincere. If asked if you have bent 4" RGS is a ditch, but you have only bent 3/4" EMT is an open warehouse say that.
- Dress accordingly. A suit and tie is NOT required. Some applicants will be wearing Sunday best, others have a job to goto after the interview. Somewhere in-between is best..."1 step over what is required for the job" is what I had someplace.

They will probably ask you:"Why do you want to be an electrcian?"
Have an answer ready for that one.
Posted By: CTwireman Re: apprenticeship interview - 03/28/05 05:55 PM
I should clarify my position: I am NOT a union member and don't represent their interests. I ended up passing on my spot in their program.

So I am not trying to discourage you. Just keep in mind that it's very hard to get into the union when times are tough like they are now, and having a referral can make all the difference.

When construction was booming in the late 90's' early 00's, the union was taking anyone they could get. Now that work is slow, it may be even harder as many locals have many people out of work. They will be hesistant to take on even more apprentices.

Peter D.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: apprenticeship interview - 03/28/05 06:58 PM
duluth
Can't comment on the union thing, but as an ex-apprentice and an ex-manager hiring staff for UK Government, I can say you already have some good advice from the others-
Don't be late! Arrive clean, shaved, neat clothes, sensible hair. No need to go over the top with clothes, but clean shoes and nails are important. Go to bed early night before so you're awake and recharged. DON'T SMELL OF BEER!- so NO CHUG night before! Turn Mobile off. Be interested, concentrate on what's being said, because you must think on your feet and be ready for the surpises that happen at interviews. Have some sensible questions ready, like "what training will I get". "Why do you want to be a ******" is THE Standard Question, so have your answers thought out. Most important is to act polite, adult and reliable- no one wants to hire anyone who appears irresponsible or immature.

Oh, and Best of luck with the interview!.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: apprenticeship interview - 03/28/05 07:25 PM
deluth,
2 more tips, these are psychological, and to do with how interviewers are 'wired-up'-

1. Make some eye-contact when speaking to interviewers etc. Dont ask me why, but this will give the guy a good gut feeling about you. Avoiding eye contact comes across as devious.

2. Sit foreward in your chair, if seated. This gives the impression you are keen.

3. Dont overdo 1 and 2!
Posted By: Celtic Re: apprenticeship interview - 03/28/05 07:35 PM
I was accepted to the union in '91. Work was slow and the amount of work continued to decline throughout the late 90's. '97 and '98 (when I "topped out") were the worst - until now, where it is equally horrible. Apprentices have the benefit of being "cheap labor" and generally in demand - BUT, I have heard of instances where NO apprentices were accepted in a given year due to a grim economic forecast (either present or anticipated).

In NJ, the earlier part of '00 to early '04 were considered a "boom" period. The past year has seen a decline in the number of major new projects coming up. However, the iron workers hall is a "walk through" - which means there is lots of steel going up. This is evident in some areas. One of the largest projects that has been given a "green light" (was just issued the final permit of acceptance by the Army Corp. of Engineers) is the Xanadu Mills project.

There are also many other large projects that will be starting in the foreseeable future. All will have a bearing on the national electrical(and construction markets). In my opinion, the largest will be the rebuilding of lower Manhatten. Other large projects that could contribute to a rosy work picture:
- Newark, NJ ~ Stadium
- NYC ~ Stadium
- NYC ~ Olympic bid for 2012

Along with these projects, you must also consider the available workforce...which is retiring(sp?). Result - more demand for qualified persons.
www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/governor/njnewsline/view_article.pl?id=2274 www.bls.gov/oco/ocos206.htm

Union or non-union (and this thread is not meant to start the "great debate"), the economic future for an electrcian looks pretty good. The federal site listed above states: "Employment of electricians is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations through the year 2012". By "faster than the average" they indicate an INCREASE of 21 to 35 percent - which is good for EVERYONE. What one sector does not pick-up, the other will - the demand will be there.

It would seem that now is a good time to be a sparkey - or become one!

My advice:
Even if NOT accepted, go work for someone in this field. I started out in a "non-union" shop - and worked in many for many years. I learned a lot in those years. The "classification" I had then would be considered a "residential wireman" (Class B). The work I do for the union, now, is mostly industrial and commercial (Class A). Much of what I was taught as a "B" guy is what I apply to my contracting business, now - and that is fine with me. I was NOT taught any residential wiring through the union...the union DOES have a B program, but I was accepted into the A program.

You can never know where this business will take you - in 1985 as I pondered the differences between a red wire nut and a yellow wirenut, I would have NEVER thought I would be changing navigational lights on a bridge over the Hackensack River 110' in the air(1990) or splicing a 35kv cable (no wire nuts required...LOL) in 2005!
Posted By: duluth Re: apprenticeship interview - 03/29/05 01:58 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. To Johnb, I am from Duluth, Minnesota, so since you aren't going to be competition I'll wish you good luck (ha ha)since we are going through the same thing. I'll let you know what happens with mine so that you can have a heads up. CTwireman, I've heard the whole 'it's who knows you' thing many times. It definitely doesn't hurt like you said. I try to keep it all in perspective with the fact that whether it ever happens or not, their bare minimum requirements are finishing high school and having algebra. Alan, thanks for the eye contact idea, its one of those things you don't actively think about and can easily give someone a bad feeling about you if you're looking at the floor, for a variety of reasons. Celtic, I've heard it said that as an apprentice I'll have a job, and then when you make journeyman is when the layoffs come. I'm glad to hear that in your neck of the woods jobs are going to be booming. It's supposed to be pretty good up here for the forseeable future. As to why I want to be an electrician.....isn't the answer always 'doesn't everybody?'
Posted By: Celtic Re: apprenticeship interview - 03/30/05 06:51 AM
"As to why I want to be an electrician.....isn't the answer always 'doesn't everybody?'"

See, now that's a prime example of good attitude! LOL Nothing wrong with a little humor...but have a "real" answer in reserve if pushed [Linked Image]
Posted By: highkvoltage Re: apprenticeship interview - 04/01/05 03:30 AM
I have been on Union apprentice interview committees. If you want to fail answer the question "Why do you to be an electrican?"
1. I want to make alot of money and I heard electrican make alot of money?
2. I don't know.
3. Because my dad is!!!!!!!!
4.I failed college.
5. I have peaked at McD's and need something else.
6. I heard they have a good pension.
7. Anything with the word DUDE!!!!AHHHHHHH

Passing answers.
1. I believe this field will challege me.

Also I always tried to see how the applicant pulled into the parking lot and how they would leave. If he/she drives like an idiot they are an idiot.
Best of luck.
Posted By: Celtic Re: apprenticeship interview - 04/01/05 03:40 AM
LMAO ...
"7. Anything with the word DUDE!!!!AHHHHHHH"

I remember my interview..it was at 9 AM..so me and a dozen guys are there...at 10 AM, it's my turn...I enter and say "Good Morning, gentleman" - they smile and get on with business...when we finish (at like 10:30AM)..I exit, but not before saying "Good Afternoon"...LOL.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: apprenticeship interview - 04/03/05 04:21 PM
duluth
How did your interview go?
Alan
Posted By: duluth Re: apprenticeship interview - 04/18/05 01:59 PM
Well, the interview was surprisingly painless! I was actually amazed by how friendly the guys interviewing people were. Then again, let's think positive, maybe they just really liked me. As far as the outcome, I'm not going to hold my breath. Cautiously optimistic is the phrase. They send out scores immediately afterward, and I was informed informally that if you get in the 90s or even in the high 80s your chances of getting in are pretty good. They do all the interviews and send scores out and then in May at the union board meeting they decide how many to take and start calling people based on the highest scores first. The only problem is they don't tell everyone essentially where you are on the list. Like if you would technically be number 45 on a list of 30. But I digress, my score was 86.5, just high enough to leave room for a little hope, but not likely. They said during the interview the only down they saw on my application was lack of experience, and I knew going in there that was my main drawback. So now my main problem is who around here is going to hire me if I don'tget in? Whether to add to my experience for next year or as a career. I'm going to be a little stir crazy until the end of May or so until I know for sure. Thanks for all the help, DUDES!
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: apprenticeship interview - 04/18/05 09:42 PM
Well done, keep striving!
Perseverance is always the main prerequisite for any achievement; the worlds' gutters are full of geniuses who gave up.

Now, am I missing something, or just dumb-
Apprenticeship : Experience.
You do one to get the other, under guidance from those with the "knowledge", surely?
Alan
Posted By: Celtic Re: apprenticeship interview - 04/19/05 02:30 AM

You'll do all right...I hope [Linked Image]..at least your not as dumb as a box of rocks or have the attention span of a tomato..LOL

I won't divulge my score - mostly because I've forgotten what it was. I do remember during the aptitude test (maybe some other test?) - where you move pegs from side to the other, testing dexterity? - after completing the test a few times, one of the proctors comes over to me (and in a very, very quite voice) says: "You know, your speed is supposed to INCREASE with reptition - but at least your consistant" LOL...It was funny watching some of the tomato's pegs roll off the "board" and them go chase them down, wasting time.

I also recall this other test - I have long since forgotten the names (maybe this was the aptitude test???)...the proctor announces (basically) "...here's the test, you have 30 minutes to complete as much as you can.." Then the bell rings...I answer first few questions quickly, next one involves a moment of thought - skip it; a few more easy ones, a "thinker" - skip it...and so on. A "person" (maybe a tomato) gets the proctor over and says " Can you skip questions?"...he replies " Answer as many as you can in the allotted time!" The tomato says (gesturing at me)" Well, he's..." , proctor cuts the tomato off and says " ANSWER AS MANY AS YOU CAN IN THE ALLOTTED TIME!". the tomamto persists;"..but HE'S..." Now the proctor can only say it again...and LOUDER still. I never saw the tomato after that test. The test is not designed to be "completed", they want as many right answers in the time given - skip questions, start at the back of the book, whatever. Just don't waste time asking questions that have already been answered and don't waste time trying to "think" what you don't know ~ kind of like taking the licensing test...you can always "go back" if time allows.
Posted By: Celtic Re: apprenticeship interview - 04/19/05 02:32 AM
....forgot to say

"Good luck, DUDE"

LMAO
Posted By: duluth Re: apprenticeship interview - 05/17/05 02:31 PM
I found out "unofficially" that I didn't make the apprenticeship this year. Oh well. Once again thanks for all the help and I hope the other hopefuls I've seen posting had better luck than I did. It's back to school then in the fall, which will be a good thing. So at this point this makes me a 'wannabe', but I liked the idea of posting my picture so I think I will anyway. Hope noone minds [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums