ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Lamp Light Conservation Policies - 10/22/01 02:07 AM
Does anyone have any "Lamp Light Conservation Policies" in their areas? There is a resolution before our County Legislature that is considering this. I heard that it has to do with outside lighting, signage etc. types, wattages and how they are directed. Even something about turning off signs at 11 pm. It seems like We will have to become lighting designers and engineers too or Possibly face fines if this goes through. Is this going on elsewhere?

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Lamp Light Conservation Policies - 10/22/01 09:58 AM
Bill,
the local utility here had a retrofit program for residential interior lighting.
Otherwise, most of what i'm confronted with is more along the 'light pollution' angle for outside lighting
Posted By: Redsy Re: Lamp Light Conservation Policies - 10/22/01 10:58 AM
We have nothig that I am aware of. However, I find it interesting that you mentioned how lighting is directed. It seems that with the recent surge in upscale housing developments, obnoxious "housescape" lighting has become widespread, and I have become aware of a new term --- "light pollution".
Posted By: pauluk Re: Lamp Light Conservation Policies - 10/22/01 04:30 PM
There's nothing here to stop anyone installing as many or as few lights as he likes on his own house, unless a sign could be taken to be an advertisement, in which case it might need a permit from the local council, but that's nothing to do with energy conservation.

Many of the government agencies in recent years have implemented "energy awareness" programs and such like, suggesting that people use low=power compact fluorescents etc. but there's no compulsion.

"Light pollution" has become a concern in recent years, especially as our houses tend to be packed into towns to a much greater density than in the U.S.A.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Lamp Light Conservation Policies - 10/22/01 08:58 PM
I don't know details yet, but one thing that I heard was that any uplight couldn't be more than the equivalent of a 60W bulb. I definitely don't like the 'Fine' part of this proposal, because apparently Contractors may be held liable for their installations meeting 'code' if this was to go through.

Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: Lamp Light Conservation Policies - 10/22/01 10:12 PM
Bill:

If these sort of proposals are at local city level, I would've thought it's going to impose a heavy burden on journeymen to learn the multitude of (ever-changing) rules from town to town that they work in. I guess many of you there are already used to dealing with peculiar city ordinances, but it's just something extra to worry about.

Furthermore, if a city has a 60W uplight restriction, I can see a homeowner claiming "That's what the sparky put in" and the electrician counter-claiming with "I put in 60W, the owner musthave changed it."

Stalemate - Who gets the blame?
Posted By: electure Re: Lamp Light Conservation Policies - 10/23/01 01:15 AM
Did I hear someone say regulate? Peculiar city ordinances?
In more and more places here even wallpacks aren't allowed, and all outside lighting must be directed down. (By law, the Flag must be illuminated when flown at night. Getting that accomplished without any uplighting can be a real nightmare)
Riverside and San Diego county have "observatory zones" where, because of light pollution and the telescopes, all new outdoor lighting must be low-pressure sodium . Right down the road you might find a car dealer with pole mounted 1000 watt metal halides on 40 foot centers. (???)

You always have to ask, and sometimes go to great pains, to make any compliant lighting installation here. Many times things aren't caught in plan check.
These local ordinances are on top of CA's Title 24 energy regs, which, on paper, seem as thick as a whole set of encyclopedias themselves.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 10-22-2001).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Lamp Light Conservation Policies - 10/23/01 02:00 AM
Scott:

It sounds as though California is getting to be a legislative nightmare.

Re illumination of flags at night: I thought it was proper etiquette that flags are taken down at sunset (notwithstanding Francis Scott Key's "Rocket's red glare"). Am I mistaken about this?

What exactly is a "wallpack" ?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Lamp Light Conservation Policies - 10/23/01 03:17 AM
Paul,

Flags can fly at night but must be illuminated. You can get a fine around here if they are not lit.

I found the proposal if anyone would like to read it:
http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/legis/resos2001/i1790-01.htm

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 10-22-2001).]
Posted By: electure Re: Lamp Light Conservation Policies - 10/25/01 01:28 AM
Boy, Bill.
It looks like they're passing an all at once and all encompassing CA style pain in the rear regulation. I hope it really does conserve energy. Are they doing it in other places around you as well?
Paul,
A wallpack is a wall mounted fixture that has the lense on its face. The ones that.......Oh, here! (otherwise I'll carry on forever and still not give you a good description)
www.cooperlighting.com/search/produ...nt&lightsource=Metal+Halide+%28MH%29
The objections are due to the glare, and light trespass.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Lamp Light Conservation Policies - 10/25/01 02:56 AM
Electure,

I don't think it's active at the moment. I heard the word 'Tabled' So, we'll have to see what happens.

Here's a Wallpack pic: (saves a click)
[Linked Image from cooperlighting.com]

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 10-25-2001).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Lamp Light Conservation Policies - 10/25/01 03:58 AM
Man, I must not pay attention...

I didn't know they were called "Wallpacks" either...

(Duh!) [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 10-24-2001).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Lamp Light Conservation Policies - 10/25/01 07:18 AM
Gotcha - Thanks.

We have something similar here in the way of a quartz-halogen floodlamp, usually 500W and wired as a security light on a PIR sensor.

These have become more and more common in the last few years, and are probably the lights most complained about by neighbors.
© ECN Electrical Forums