ECN Forum
Posted By: frank gfi receptacle vs gfi breaker - 03/26/05 10:44 PM
Is there any functional difference between a gfci receptacle and a gfci breaker.I know gfci receptacles are calibrated to trip at 5ma?thanks
Posted By: iwire Re: gfi receptacle vs gfi breaker - 03/26/05 10:56 PM
Both have approx. 5ma trip levels
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: gfi receptacle vs gfi breaker - 03/27/05 01:47 AM
In my experience, GFCI breakers exhibit more of a tendency toward nuisance tripping than the receptacle types, particularly when feeding a very long branch circuit run, or just about any length of old cable. I presume this has to do with leakage to ground (either resistive or capacitive) in the cable run.

Putting the GFCI at the point of use avoids tripping from these leakage currents. The receptacles are also generally less expensive than the breakers....
Posted By: bucketman Re: gfi receptacle vs gfi breaker - 03/27/05 03:24 AM
So how do you get

"(either resistive or capacitive) in the cable run."

I could see voltage drop but I don't know how you get reactence in just a cable run?
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: gfi receptacle vs gfi breaker - 03/27/05 04:54 PM
You have capacitance between any 2 insulated conductors in a raceway or cable, as well as between the conductors and ground. A capacitor is simply 2 conductors (the copper wires or metal raceway/armor) separated by an insulating dielectric (the wire insulation). The potential leakage gets higher with a longer cable run (adds more capacitance) or older, degraded insulation (lowers leakage resistance).

If the resistance gets low enough or the capacitance gets high enough, sufficient leakage current can be present to trip the GFCI, or to lower the "overhead", so additional leakage below the usual 5 mA will be enough to cause a trip.

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 03-27-2005).]
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: gfi receptacle vs gfi breaker - 03/27/05 05:07 PM
Tx, NJwirenut.

Never really fully understood leakeage current like that before.

Good explaination.....

Dnk.....
Posted By: bucketman Re: gfi receptacle vs gfi breaker - 03/27/05 07:14 PM
Vary good, thank you. [Linked Image] I feel lerned now.
© ECN Electrical Forums