ECN Forum
Posted By: Dnkldorf Photocell twistlocks - 03/10/05 11:46 PM
Looking for some info on the twist lock photo cells for street lighting.

What is the trick to these?
Other than the multi-voltage, and the wattage for them, I can't seem to get some of them to just twist in, and operate properly.

The package says, you have to disconnect power before installing.

How do you guys do it?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Photocell twistlocks - 03/10/05 11:57 PM
Never saw any that said "turn-off" as you say. Basically, just like a twistlock cord cap. No tricks that I have seen, nor have any of my men mentioned any problems.

This is not to say that there may be some non-standard (Non-NEMA) devices around, with all the 'junk' coming in from everywere.

John
Posted By: Celtic Re: Photocell twistlocks - 03/11/05 12:02 AM
If the PC is new, the gasket may be "thick" - some brute force (compacting the gasket) and a firm, but gentle twist usually gets it in w/o smashing it.
Pass the Wheaties ! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Photocell twistlocks - 03/11/05 01:42 AM
I went through 6 differnt photocells on one light.
2 different manufactures of them.

240 light 400w MV.

One manufacturer was intermatic, 120-305V rated 1000w. Freaking light wont shut off.
2nd was some cheapo, 208-277V 1000w. Same light wont shut off after installing them.

Everything is wired right, damn light won't go out. Intermatic paperwork says to disconnect power before installing. Tried everything.

Freaking ghosts messing with me, or bad batches of cells?
Posted By: Celtic Re: Photocell twistlocks - 03/11/05 01:47 AM
It is always possible for a bad batch to get through QA control measures, but before I blame manufac. I would recheck my connections (including ballast taps) - then I would try again w/pc...I use the box it came in to block the light.
Another thought...wire the fixture straight through (no pc) and check that the bulb actually lights - so many things can go fubar from source to bulb: connections, capacitor, ignitor, etc.
Posted By: e57 Re: Photocell twistlocks - 03/11/05 04:14 AM
Some of them will take awile to go out, like a few minutes. Some have clocks in them to delay off and on. But it sounds like hot and sw reversed.
Posted By: dmattox Re: Photocell twistlocks - 03/11/05 12:13 PM
You sure you dont have test versions? You can buy 2 types, one that is a photocell and the other is just a short so you can test the light or have it controlled from a different source. Counter guys are always screwing up and giving us the wrong type.
© ECN Electrical Forums