ECN Forum
Posted By: pep3000 Breaking into the business - 03/06/05 10:12 PM
I am seeking to become an electrician. I went down to my local IBEW to find out about the process of obtaining an apprenticeship. Unfortunately, the process will take a YEAR, and I do not have time to wait that long. I want to get into the business as soon as possible, as I am newly married. However, I do not want to just do this process in a "fly by night" sort of way. I want to become a reputable electrician and do things in the right way. Does anyone have any advice for me? How might I shorten the union process? How might I go about becoming an electrician without aide of the union? Please respond to me via my email if this is a topic that cannot be discussed in this forum as I do not want to discuss anything that is not allowed. I thank you all in advance!!
Take Care,
Paul
Posted By: LK Re: Breaking into the business - 03/06/05 11:22 PM
Paul,

There are other ways to learn the trade, however, we all had to wait, and we all had to put in long hours, at low pay to start, so pe prepared to wait, and serve your time, I think we all belive it was worth the wait.

There should be others posting here, that are in programs now, and they can give you a good idea of what to expect.
Posted By: Joey D Re: Breaking into the business - 03/07/05 01:47 AM
8 t 10 thousand hours in the trade will get you a lic. There is so much to learn and even after the thousands of hours there will be yet even more to learn.
I say pick up the paper and look at the help wanted section to find a job. Then find a weekly class to attend. Good luck.
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Breaking into the business - 03/07/05 04:43 AM
You didn't give any information about your background, pep3000. Do you have any background or education in electronics? The first step is either electronics classes at your local community college, or an apprenticeship at your local IBEW.

I had background in electronics, and wiring control panels from blueprints. I studied the latest edition of the NEC for approx. 200 hours with the assistance of a commercial electrical engineer.

I passed the test to become a registered electrical contractor. I still didn't know how to bend conduit, which is prevalent in Northern Illinois. It was five years before I had the experience of a journeyman. It was another five years before I ran into this site and did a lot of reading on business (accounting, sales, marketing, business management, estimating, etc.) to improve the business.

Last year was my first year that was really profitable. As a lone electrical contractor you have to be good in all the above areas to have a good business, or in my case have friends with experience in these fields. I talked with a friend who is a 2nd generation salesman for a few hours one evening. I've talked with a marketing friend for several hours. I've read a couple dozen books on business managenent, and hire an accountant.

This is my 20th year in business, my 10th as an electrical contractor, and I'm just starting to get good at it. From the statistics I've read, there are probably only a handful of small ECs who are still in business in the area during the same time period. The rest went out of business.

Of the 150 ECs in the phone book, I'd bet half make less than $40,000 a year. Some of those with the help of their wife. They probably work 2500 hours a year, half of it unpaid. $40,000/2500=$16.00/hour. From my last post (Retirement), most of them haven't been able to put away anything for retirement.

It's a sport for survivors. Good Luck!

Dave
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Breaking into the business - 03/07/05 11:34 PM
If you were planing on waiting to join an IBEW you should find out the min. requirements. They may want H.S. transcripts of a certain leval of math with this grade or better. Or it's back to school to take a math classes.

You may want to try to find out how busy the IBEW is are and how many apply each year. They should be able to tell you how many apprentaces they plan on taking on. A lot of people will wait to allpy, take a test, interview, and then don't make the cut. It is a long proscess.

Another thing is on the days they take applications be their the first day ready for them to open the doors. Some hand out only so many applications. When I applied the first hour they already accepted 1/2 their max applications.

You might try making calls in the phone book and saying you will do any type of work to get started. A fly by night shop is not the best but the first step is to get a job with an EC.

Tom

Tom
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Breaking into the business - 03/07/05 11:50 PM
A distant relative of mine was accepted to an IBEW apprenticeship and had to take an algebra class. Many of the apprentices dropped from the program before completion, and he only made it 2-3 years.

Dave
Posted By: Local3Jr Re: Breaking into the business - 03/08/05 12:05 AM
Here in NY it takes 5 1/2 years to become a journeyman. Besides taking elec. theory classes, you also have to take college courses to get an associates degree. It's a long journey but well worth it. I will be done in july and I just can't wait.
Posted By: santishian Re: Breaking into the business - 03/08/05 03:37 AM
i'm just now finishing my apprentiship and its been a long process..and the pay isn't all that good at the start although if you prove you are willing to work and learn that should take care of itself.
in answer to your question if i waited for the IBEW to get into this trade i would in all liklyhood still be waiting.
i found a non-union electrician and started with him..you can always join the ibew later if you so wish.be prepared for long hours and lots of school.kiss you wife now...you aren't going to be seeing a whole lot of her for a bit.....but it was worth it good luck
Posted By: cvelectric Re: Breaking into the business - 03/09/05 05:59 PM
I started in residential(non-union new construction) in Va.25 years ago and worked at that for about 1-1/2 years. I then went into service/light comercial then onto comercial construction and after 4 years got my j-card. I then went into electrical maintenance for 3 different large organizations. Along the way I took many classes at com coll. and seminars. After 11 years in the trade I took the tests and got masters licenses. I am now an EC (18 mos.). I never regretted starting in residential new construction. I believe it is a good way to start in the field. It seems to me it is easier to learn circuitry in new houses and not get so overwhelmed as you might in comercial/industrial.

If you're young don't be afraid to change jobs/employers when you feel you've learned what you can there. The Union apprenticeship is great from what I hear but when I started it was difficult to get in as well.

As an electrical apprentice be prepared for hard work under electricians from different walks of life. Some may be rough on you others may be easy. The main thing is to stay focused and don't give up. It's not for everybody and it's not easy.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Breaking into the business - 03/10/05 02:04 AM
I don't care what you've been doing, or what your education may be....there is simply no way to reduce the amount of time necessary to learn this trade. Other experience may help, but there are so many facets, so much to learn, that the apprentice period is only a start!

The US Dept of Labor certifies apprenticeship programs. Check with them as to alternatives to the union program. Likewise, there may be similar programs, say, in Industrial Maintenance, offered at your community college.

You should apply to contractors as a "helper." We all start there. It's necesary. Even today (age 50, college, contractors cert, etc), I still end up manning a shovel on a regular basis.
Posted By: bentruler Re: Breaking into the business - 03/10/05 06:14 AM
Maybe I'm just mis-reading his statement, but it sounds like Paul's concern isn't the time in the trenches learning the trade, but the time to find out if IBEW will let him. The locals I've talked to had over a year spent in interviews and tesing before they decide if you can be an apprentince.
Posted By: pep3000 Re: Breaking into the business - 03/10/05 08:11 PM
bentruler,

that is exactly what I am talking about, I do NOT mean the time an apprenticeship takes to complete but, the time it takes to get into the program.

-pep3000
Posted By: Bert66 Re: Breaking into the business - 03/10/05 08:27 PM
pep3000, if you want to become a competant and dependable electrian, just get your tail off the sofa and look for someone to put you to work. Sounds like you whining about the IBEW apprenticship program. I my opinion look for someone who is willing to let you reside in their hip pocket and learn as much as you can, ask questions, hit any job like you would your own. No matter how long it takes it's the knowledge for your gain. Nobody can take back what you have learned. Learn it, apply it and keep striving to better yourself. I'm sure that anyone (if they care to be honest) will tell you that they are still learning, even if they do have 30 + years in the trade. There is so much out there to learn that your time spent in the early stages will pass by in a blink of an eye. Just enjoy the trade, it can provide an endless career for you.
Posted By: drillman Re: Breaking into the business - 03/11/05 01:20 AM
I do not know how things operate in your local.

In the local here if you fill out the paperwork and get your HS transcript there, they will put you to work (if there is work) as a preapprentice.

You will not do much electrical work, think unloading trucks, digging ditches and the like.

Being a preapprentice does not promise acceptace into the program. But if you do not show up and do not do what you are told you might find yourself not making it into the program.
Posted By: BOSSMAN Re: Breaking into the business - 03/11/05 12:43 PM
Drillman, Preapprentice sounds like a way to keep you an apprentice a while longer. with that type of work i think i would go to the labor union and look for work.
Posted By: rogersan Re: Breaking into the business - 03/11/05 02:12 PM
Pep3000

A lot of what you are asking is dependent on where you live and what they require for apprentices etc.

Secondly I agree with all the posters who said that it is a long and slow process but in the end if you are going to work in a construction field you want to be a sparky not a mason...trust me on this one.
Posted By: rogersan Re: Breaking into the business - 03/11/05 02:24 PM
pep please email me and I will give you my 2 cents on this whole issue...

rogersan@cox.net
© ECN Electrical Forums