ECN Forum
Posted By: texassparky Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 02:50 AM
What hobbies do you guys have? I have a few radio control cars that I play with on the weekend. But most of the time just hang out with the wife and go bowling etc..
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 02:54 AM
# 1 on the list has to be the boat, from April to October. Throw in reading, & working around the house, time permitting.

The plate is pretty full.....EC, P/T AHJ 3 days, & 1 or 2 eves at the County Vo-Tech eats up a lot of time.

John
Posted By: sandsnow Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 03:40 AM
Hobbies seem to come and go with me. i only seem to have time to do one well. Two of my biggest have been shooting and rock climbing. Used to shoot in high power rifle matches and have made multi day ascents in Yosemite, Zion and Red Rocks outside of Vegas.
I've been known to enjoy skiing, motorcycles, building computers and collecting church keys.
I like projects around the house and love to invent or create stuff to remedy a problem.
Currently climbing is taking a back seat to the home remodel.
Posted By: smokumchevy Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 04:02 AM
Mine is classic cars....... (go figure huh? lol)

The latest (4yrs and running) is my '69 Chevelle I deem 'the money pit' !!

Previous are:

77 firebird
74 z28
72 camaro
71 dart (meh, had to try a mopar, lol)
69 camaro (wish I kept)
67 beaumont (definately wish I kept and want another to pro-street some day)

Been into this for a lil over 20 years and have met 100's of great car guys that meet up on late nite cruises around town. Don't think this hobby will ever die out with me!

-Greg
Posted By: sandsnow Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 04:05 AM
'68 Z28's
I had two of em back in the late 70's. !st was stolen, 2nd I wish I had not sold it, but I lost intrest at the time.
Posted By: dereckbc Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 04:28 AM
Golf and gardening.

My favorite used to be drinking and fishing, but gave that up 15 years ago. Seems I cannot do one without the other, sure miss it.
Posted By: sierra electrician Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 04:42 AM
Mine was my daughters travel softball for the last 9 years. But she's done with that now, so I'll just start hunting like I used to before she started playing. There's always something that needs kill'n.

Rob
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 11:14 AM
Life, as defined in the dictionary, is Harley-Davidson. Don't ask who wrote that dictionary [Linked Image].
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 12:11 PM
Hiking/backpacking, ham radio, restoring vintage electronics, collector of electron tubes, homebrewer.
Posted By: NJ Wireman Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 02:41 PM
Firefighter & photography, Hanging out with my family & friends takes top choice!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: SiochTroum Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 06:38 PM
Good topic: I think I have to many!($)
1)Oil painting/Drawing
2)Judo/Wrestling
3)computers-3d rendering/animation
4)Guitar
5)snowboarding
6)Customizing my F-250
7)Drinking beer
8)Military/Worldwar-II History
Ofcourse my family comes first-job-second, but my hobbies keep me sane and intersting (I hope)-Theres just so little time!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 07:32 PM
My hobby seems to be what most of you folks do for a living. I have been working on a 40 year old house since I retired.
The good thing is my wife is a builder so there are always lots of left over materials in her truck and one call from her NexTel can get a pro over here when I get in trouble.
I also dabble in junk PCs, mostly making MP3 players. I have one everywhere these days.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 11:11 PM
Anything and everything to do with electronics of course, with a special interest in restoring and using older equipment.

I'm also something of a record-collecting fiend. My cupboards and shelves are full of old 45s, LPs, and 78s, mostly 1950s-1960s era pop and country.

Like smokem, I have an interest in older cars too, though time is a big problem. Had a '72 Pontiac LeMans a few years ago, and a '66 Barracuda more recently, as well as some older Brit models you would have never heard of. It was fun to drive one of the sportier models of the era, but not so practical as the old station wagons that I love (never been a TransAm/Corvette fan).
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 11:23 PM
Participating in NEC related forums sure seems to take up a lot of my time. [Linked Image]

Paul,

Collecting classic American cars must be an expensive hobby in Britain, land of $6/gallon gasoline. [Linked Image] Having that steering wheel on the other side must be a little weird too. [Linked Image]

Peter

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 02-25-2005).]
Posted By: Mr Bendy Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 11:28 PM
I surf mostly, love it more than working thats for sure.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 11:28 PM
Yeah, it's a good job I don't do a lot of mileage. [Linked Image]

The steering wheel is no big deal really. Between the American cars I had here and my time in the States I actually had a stretch of about 8 or 9 years with only driving LHD cars. It actually felt weird getting back in a right-hand drive car after that. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-25-2005).]
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Your Hobbies - 02/25/05 11:32 PM
Yeah Paul, how does that work? Did you own those when you were in NE? or at some other time in the US? Or did you have them shipped over? I can't imagine GM exporting back then but I really have no idea.

oops just saw you posted ahead of me.

So you can legally drive a car on your roads with the wheel on the wrong side?

[This message has been edited by Jps1006 (edited 02-25-2005).]
Posted By: madmike440 Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 02:03 AM
1: motorcyles
2: rc cars
3: drinking beer
unfortunatly not enough time for any of them
Posted By: rhiphi Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 03:17 AM
NASCAR
go #8
Posted By: sierra electrician Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 03:37 AM
rhiphi
Litte "E" RULES!!!!!!!
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 03:46 AM
I have a '70 Nova drag car I race a few times a year. I also do a few car shows a year. We have a huge swap meet right across the river from me in Rhinebeck, NY in the spring. I have two spaces there and we all get our parts and lay 'em on the tarp as they say.
I also have a motocross bike which is a blast. Motorcycles are my first love from early childhood and I have never grown up. I raced MX in my HS days and am just getting back into the scene. I had a Ninja 900 street bike for 15 years along with several assorted bikes.
I have a small boat I fish the Hudson in. This is probably the thing I get to do the most. Fishing is also a lifelong addiction of mine. I fish several bass tourneys a year.
The smaller things are also RC cars and a truck. I have two 4wd touring cars and a stadium truck. No nitro yet, but I really want one. I'd love to get a 1/8 buggy like an Ofna Hyper 7.
There are about 5 other tings I do for fun but those are the biggest.
You may tell I am not a 60 hour a week work-a-holic. Money means less to me than having a life and seeing my kids.

A plaque on my mothers kitchen wall:
"Never get too busy making a living that you forget to have a life"

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 02-25-2005).]
Posted By: texassparky Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 04:47 AM
Speedy Petey which 4wheel touring cars do you have?
Posted By: livetoride Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 07:31 AM
Motorcycles: 98 Virago, 2000 Venture, 80ci chopper.
cars: 59 Chevy PU 66 Mustang
Camping, hunting, fishing, travel when I have the time. Rod
Posted By: Indcom Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 08:21 AM
SASS match shooting when-ever I can. This is the Single Action Shooting Society and the Cowboy Action Shooting type matches.

We all dress and act like the folks of the old west and have shootouts in theme scenerios with live ammo. Mines is a Ruger Vaquero 45LC with a 5 1/2" barrel for my handgun and a Winchester 30/30 Model 91 (No typo-a real Model 91).

Anyone liking to kow more about it can visist this link http://www.sassnet.com/

[This message has been edited by Indcom (edited 02-26-2005).]
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 01:26 PM
Tex,
I have a Tamiya TA03F Pro David Jun and an HPI RS4 Sport.
My truck is an older RC10T, but it's in nice shape.
Posted By: texassparky Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 04:15 PM
I also have a HPI RS4 with the f150 body,and a Traxxas gas truck. My brother-inlaw raced for Team Assoiciated along time ago. He raced gas on roads. Now he races for Team Xray.
Posted By: Tom Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 04:34 PM
1. Competitive shooting (conventional bullseye pistol)

2. Shooting pool : one pocket

3. Shooting pool : 9 ball

4. Enjoying an adult beverage with all the above activities except #1.

Tom
Posted By: BOSSMAN Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 06:09 PM
I like ice fishing and hockey a guy has to do something in the winter.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 06:42 PM
... I like to collect "vintage electricana" ie;..switches,receptacles,luminaires,..you name it, if it's old,chances are it'll wind up in my shop of horrors.I also "enjoy" taking inventory in my "shop",on the weekend, to see what I actually have,and bought yet AGAIN for the previous weeks work.It's quite amazing all the stuff one can amass,and lose track of..No wonder my supply house loves me so much.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 02-26-2005).]
Posted By: circuit man Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 10:12 PM
i like collecting old watthour meters,old tungar battery chargers & movies on dvd.
Posted By: adamb Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 10:25 PM
I target shoot and hunt. Their is also nothing as good as going fishing with my son, he's three.
Posted By: Overcharged Re: Your Hobbies - 02/26/05 10:38 PM
Hobbies used to be drag racing until I got married. [Linked Image]

Now it's snowmobiling in winter and golf, yardwork and lounging by the pool in summer.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Your Hobbies - 02/27/05 01:03 AM
Well, let's see.
Apart from ECN. [Linked Image]
Fire-fighting, Ham Radio, Fishing, Hunting, Cricket (playing it and watching it on TV). [Linked Image]
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Your Hobbies - 02/27/05 01:26 AM
Hobbies used to be drag racing until I got married.

That is NO reason!
It is however a valid reson to get another car. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 02-26-2005).]
Posted By: bot540 Re: Your Hobbies - 02/27/05 03:27 AM
botany and growing orchids
Posted By: Northbayec Re: Your Hobbies - 02/27/05 07:19 AM
Where to start. A little wakeboarding on a Saturday (no crowded lakes in February!) and snowboarding on a Sunday is an ideal winter weekend for me.
Posted By: oldtimer Re: Your Hobbies - 02/27/05 07:44 AM
i fish for walleye when i can, and restore old british motorcycles. i have four 50's and 60's era triumphs, two bsa's, a royal enfield interceptor, and a new arrival, a norton commando. my 26'x 42' pole barn looks like a combination museum, motorcycle shop, and junk yard, but its where i unwind, relax, putter around with "basket cases" i've bought, or just drinking a few ice cold "adult beverages" and planning my next fishing trip or motorcycle swap meet. my wife is not impressed. lol!

i'll post some pics later of some of my two-wheeled resurrections.

oldtimer
Posted By: makokiller Re: Your Hobbies - 02/27/05 01:04 PM
Well I would have to say my hobbie would be flying and fishing for yellow fin tuna or mako shark.. of course when you get the time, which in this business is not always there..
Posted By: hypress Re: Your Hobbies - 02/27/05 04:56 PM
Amtrak cetiified private passenger rail cars
Knights of Columbus
MS Society MS 150 Bicycle Tour
Posted By: smokumchevy Re: Your Hobbies - 02/27/05 05:36 PM
Hey Speedy Petey,

I sent you an email to your hotmail accn't........ [Linked Image]

-Greg
Posted By: pauluk Re: Your Hobbies - 02/27/05 10:56 PM
Yeah Paul, how does that work? Did you own those when you were in NE? or at some other time in the US? Or did you have them shipped over? I can't imagine GM exporting back then but I really have no idea.
The LeMans and Barracuda were actually over here in England. The Pontiac came from a serviceman on one of the U.S. airbases, as did a '79 Chrysler LeBaron I had as well.

Never bothered to go to the expense of shipping a car over myself. American cars aren't exactly plentiful over here, but there are enough around that those of who are enthusiasts can find something suitable within the country. [Linked Image]

So you can legally drive a car on your roads with the wheel on the wrong side?
Yep, no restrictions at all. [Linked Image]

You find the odd MoT inspector (annual vehicle test) who will grumble about silly things like the different arrangement of lights, but you can always just go elsewhere and find a more sensible one!
Posted By: SimonUK Re: Your Hobbies - 02/27/05 11:48 PM
Restoring vintage tractors, vintage engines, vintage generators, vintage trucks, vintage plant, crystal radios and of course both my Chevy Blazer M1009 cucv's.

Yes I use one as my everyday car, yes it turns heads over here and yes when I go on site to a breakdown everyone comes over to ask about it.

They aren't that common over here.

Although i'm an electrician I now work as a fitter for an elevated work platform hire company.

Simon.
Posted By: Roger Re: Your Hobbies - 02/28/05 12:17 AM
Woodworking, fishing, working on old houses,(ours) gardening, family, my 67 HD FLH, hot sauces and food, and electrical forums.

[Linked Image] I must quit work so I can spend more time on things that are important. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: oldtimer Re: Your Hobbies - 02/28/05 10:37 AM
any of you guys in U.K. that can give me an e-mail addy or mailing addy for vintage motorcycle parts outlets? specifically, royal enfield and norton. thanks a bunch.

oldtimer
Posted By: pauluk Re: Your Hobbies - 02/28/05 11:12 AM
Motorcycles are a little outside my field, but you might find something suitable here:

Google UK: mail order motorcycle parts Norton OR Enfield
Posted By: Big Ed Re: Your Hobbies - 02/28/05 02:58 PM
Paintball!
There is nothing that releaves tension like going out into the woods and shooting your best freind.
It's about the only exercise that I get anymore.

Ed
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Your Hobbies - 02/28/05 10:39 PM
Brewing beer, teaching, martial arts, vintage horror movies. I actually have over 80 pre-1970 horror DVD's. I enjoyed watching the 1925 silent version of "The Phantom of the Opera" last night, as a matter of fact [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Your Hobbies - 03/01/05 12:17 AM
Ryan,
Is that the one with Lon Chaney in it?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Your Hobbies - 03/01/05 11:17 AM
I like collecting and watching old movies as well, anything from the classic musicals to the British Ealing comedies of the 1940s/1950s.

I love the old B-feature sci-fi pics, and the low-budget type of film, such as all the Annette & Frankie Avalon beach movies that American International turned out in the 1960s. They're like being transported back to a simpler, more innocent time for an hour or two of escapism. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Your Hobbies - 03/01/05 01:03 PM
Hobbies:
Computers - user, not a guru
Music - I am a guru in this category, however.
Aviation - currently designing my own airplane, but not guru status yet.
Electricity - unemployed and no contractors license makes for yet another hobby. Besides, the more I learn about it, the less confidence in myself do I get...

Considering becoming a male prostitute.

Things are really slow here...
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Your Hobbies - 03/01/05 02:11 PM
Yes Mike, the one with Lon Chaney (aka, "the man with a thousand faces"). I have probably 20 or so with either him or his son in them.

Paul: The only classics I have are Sci-Fi and horror, other than one or two (like "Of Mice and Men", with Lon Chaney Jr. and Burgess Meredith). I've actually got my wife watching a few now. Her favorite is the 1922 "Nosferatu", which I have to admit is one of my favorites as well [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Ryan_J (edited 03-01-2005).]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Your Hobbies - 03/01/05 04:42 PM
Considering becoming a male prostitute.

Things are really slow here...

You won't have to worry about making money anymore if you take that approach.
Posted By: livetoride Re: Your Hobbies - 03/02/05 02:41 AM
Looks like alot of sparkys are gearheads as well. Nothing like working with your hands and having something to show for it. Rod
Posted By: classicsat Re: Your Hobbies - 03/04/05 01:28 AM
Electrical, Satellite TV, fast cars, heavy trucks, the usual.

Lately I have been into urban exploration, the exploring if the city around, old streets, rail lines, and things like that.
Since I live nowhere near any significant urban area, nor can really get around myself, I have adopted NYC, mostly in the form of http://www.forgotten-ny.com
© ECN Electrical Forums