ECN Forum
Posted By: proguy Romex wire caddy - 02/14/05 07:13 AM
Im looking for Two wire caddies. I have know idea which one to buy. I do google searches, however there is only sales, no reviews or customer feedback. I have also searched this site with not much to help. So please, I would like to invest my money wisely. Thanks for any input. Marc
Posted By: DougW Re: Romex wire caddy - 02/15/05 02:14 AM
What kind are you looking for - wire spools, reels, or NM? Theo nly caddy I have is a red GB 4-arm job.

It's a caddy, and it works OK. If I ever have $$ to throw around, I might substitute some fancy push-release locking pins for the hitch clips that hold the spools in place now.

Just wish they could figure out an anti-overspool brake that wouldn't add too much effort to the pull!

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 02-14-2005).]
Posted By: e57 Re: Romex wire caddy - 02/15/05 07:14 AM
There's a guy that self-promotes (I beleive) a decent wire reel style romex dispensor that usually has an ad in the back of EC&M Magazine. It looks like two plastic domes that cup over the reel. An old employer of mine had one and was great. The guy makes a one roll, and two roll model. Not sure if he has a web page.... But if you spot his add, its a darn good product. I believe he also makes a hydraulic bender caddy as well. (Often has it in the same ad.)
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Romex wire caddy - 02/15/05 02:02 PM
Look here http://www.assoc-elec-prod.com/
Posted By: proguy Re: Romex wire caddy - 02/18/05 05:01 AM
Thanks for the great feedback. Im going to buy two. I contacted the owner and will be getting them soon. Thanks again I love you all.
Posted By: master66 Re: Romex wire caddy - 02/19/05 02:02 AM
Make your own.

I've made a few over the years.

For a 1000' spools, take two pieces of 3/4" plywood about 2' long but slightly narrower than the spool is round.

Get a 1" floor flange for 1" rigid pipe and mount it in the center of one piece of plywood. Then,using a hole saw, cut a hole in the center of the other piece large enough to fit over the entire floor flange.

Attach the second piece of plywood over the first piece with the floor flange recessed in the center.

install a lazy-susan bearing or bar stool bearing ( appx 8" dia.) on the second piece of plywood also centered over the floor flange.

Set the reel sideways on the bearing and screw a 2' long piece of 1" rigid pipe into the floor flange.

You can now place the reel anywhere and pull wire with ease.

This works well for any type of wire on reels. I've used it for MC, Cat5, speaker wire, romex, etc... It breaks down easily and doesen't take much room in the truck.

By the way, you make the plywood slightly narrower than the spool is round so that you can flip the whole thing on it's side with the spool on it so that you can roll the heavy spools around without taking the spool off of the spindle. I made a handle on my 1" spindle so that I can also carry the whole thing with wire on it.

For 250' rolls of romex I use 2 spool ends about 18" in dia. with a 12" bearing between them and a 1 pound coffee can screwed to the top. The romex fits perfectly over the coffee can and pulls off with ease and is very portable.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Romex wire caddy - 02/19/05 05:54 AM
... I have one of these,..it's OK,but it sometimes gets tangled under the rungs..
[Linked Image from fiberfish.com]

It's made by a company called B.E.S..average price was about $80.00,..you can find it at www.fiberfish.com

Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 02-19-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums