ECN Forum
Posted By: Clydesdale dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 02:48 AM
in a single family dwelling, what are the dedicated circuits?(serving only one appliance, motor, ect.) I need a quick reference to study from and not a big book to flip through and maybe miss one.

(edit): just saw the spelling error in topic...pretty funny.

[This message has been edited by Clydesdale (edited 02-05-2005).]
Posted By: LK Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 03:34 AM
"big book to flip through and maybe miss one."

You may miss one, or more, but that is part of learning.
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 04:45 AM
yeah, definately,

i have the pal series books which are great for quick reference, and can keep them in my jacket pocket...just wanted to put a small list in the back of all the dedicated circuits. i have had less time for study lately as i work full time, school at night, work weekends, wife, 18 month old son, 2 week old son....just trying to be more efficient. i have been reading the code for 2 years now, and am definately a sponge, but i just feel that at this point having someone who knows more than me tell me something will be a lot easier. typing with one hand right now as my 2 week old is sleeping in other arm.

no big deal though, i will make the list myself.
Posted By: DougW Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 04:58 AM
Art 100: Branch Circuit, Individual: A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization.

Not to seem too harsh, but the Code is our living... if you're intimidated by it, you're only hurting yourself. In addition, as recent changes ('05 NEC) have finally explained, the Code is not intended to be the end-all list of electrical utilization equipment or methods.

One automatically needs to consider:

All 240VAC appliances, (that should be a no-brainer) like electric ovens and ranges, arc welders, electric dryers, air compressors, air conditioners, heat pumps, water heaters & electric furnaces

All 120VAC circuits folks wouldn't want tied into a general use circuit for safety or convenience, ie smoke detectors, dishwashers & sump pumps.

Suggest you invest in the NEC Handbook. It's pricey, but it's all the Code, explained pretty thoroughly, with excellent illustrations (I know 'cause I had no idea what they were referring to on some items [Linked Image] ).

We sell it here for $97.50 - cheaper than most on-line (retail $119)
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/The_Store/NEC_Code2002.htm?source=overture
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 05:00 AM
thanks dude....not intimidated at all...it's just a question of economics..allocation of limited resouces. of which time is the most limited. thank you for responding.

[This message has been edited by Clydesdale (edited 02-06-2005).]
Posted By: buck Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 05:00 AM
I empathize with you. I spend my day working and nights bidding and always bounce questions off of my friends. Anyway, the only "dedicated" circuits that you need to worry about in a single family residence are the kitchen outlets, the laundry outlets, bathroom,smoke detection (ARC Fault), anf if you want to count cooktop/range circuits. If I were any good at the computer system I could somehow scan a copy of a worksheet that my apprenticeship instructor had us work from. I did so many calculations in class I still find residential calculations tougher that a commercial calculation.If you have a fax or give me your e-mail address and I'll get it to you.
Regards,
Rick Buck

[This message has been edited by buck (edited 02-06-2005).]
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 05:07 AM
thanks, buck.
it's

Posted By: SolarPowered Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 06:23 AM
Clydesdale,

I'd suggest that you immediately edit you message to get rid of the open email address. Automatic "robots" scan web pages for spammers to find email addresses to spam. You might want to do things like spell out "at" and "dot", put in things that the text explains to remove, etc. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 06:29 AM
Clydesdale,

It's not necessary to display your email address. It is accessible by clicking on the [Linked Image] icon above any one of your posts.

Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 08:38 AM
Clydesdale,
You are rather lucky, what with living in the US where there are other people on-line that can give you a hand with the Codes that you require.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not targeting you, but whatever happened to good old initiative?.
Working things out for yourself, is the way that I have always done things and it makes a better Tradesman.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 02:16 PM
This question has no absolute correct answer. Looking through the responses I see things like smoke detectors, sump pumps, dishwashers, etc. None of these is required to have a "dedicated" circuit. Some might be better off that way but circuits for these are sized for the load intended to be connected. Smoke detectors in many areas can not be on a dedicated circuit. I suggest you read through 210 carefully to see what circuits are required and what they are alowed to serve.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 02:26 PM
Reading, and looking for the answer are part of the learning process.
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 02:36 PM
thanks for the info..i will be reading 210 today! it's funny though.. i mean isn't this forum about asking questions? ok..so my question isn't about where to land the high leg on a 3 phase 4 wire delta system...is the guy who asks that question not taking enough initiative? It seems not...mike holt liked his question so much that he decided to devote an entire article in the new EC&M magazine. anyway, i will probably be going somewhere else for help now...thanks for everyone who reponded objectively.

Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/06/05 06:32 PM
The forum is certainly for asking questions. The perception I think that your question generated was that you were looking for easy answers with out doing the work. No big deal.
Posted By: buck Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/07/05 01:08 AM
If my perception is correct, Clydesdale is an apprentice. He is working, going to school and raising a young family. I think Journeyman out there should always give a hand to someone learning the trade.

Good luck
Posted By: renosteinke Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/07/05 05:02 AM
I think Clydesdales' question is a variation of the old "what is the minimum number of circuits for a house" riddle.

You are required to have:
1 Laundry circuit
2 kitchen small appliance circuits
1 furnace circuit
1 general purpose receptacle circuit
1 general purpose lighting circuit
1 bathroom circuit

While not specifically called for, it is very practical to also have:
1 bedroom circuit
1 smoke alarm circuit

Appliances that, if present, and electric, that will require dedicated circuits are:
2 kitchen stove
2 water heater
2 dryer
2 air conditioner
1 ice melt eqt

Other things in the "should have" category....that is, not required, but certainly desireable, are circuits for:
dishwasher/disposal
Large microwave
separate for each bedroom
separate for each bath
separate for outside/ Xmas lights
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/07/05 03:47 PM
Hi,
A list is fine books are fine, sometimes a clarification in simple laymans terms is better..

There are a lot of folks out there who are willing to give their time and answer questions.

I ask a lot of questions that I may know or may not know the answer to and could easily look it up but the site is setup to allow users to post questions and comments.

I do not think you will find any better place to get help and to interact with other folks in the trade and some who are not.

I have asked the same question several times throughout my 27 years in the trade.

The only dumb question is the one that you did not ask. ( I think that is how it goes)

The truth is, that the number of required outlets is covered by the NEC but I have seen local or state ordinances that require a separate circuit for a heat/vent/light combo..I have seen it required to provide a headbolt heater.

Long story short, time on the pond and the tools that you need to do the job along with all the references you need is the best way. You will never memorize everything, just know where to find it or how to find the right answer.

Dont get put off by the post here, there are good and bad anywhere you go!

There is more good here in my opinion.

Good luck with the job and the yungun!

regards

Greg
Posted By: wa2ise Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/07/05 11:07 PM
As for the smoke detector circuit, you may want to use it also for say the hallway ceiling light. Or such similar ceiling light that the occupant will quickly notice that the smoke detector circuit is dead. Possibly have the light and its switch connected at the far end past the smoke detectors from the panel. So if a connection goes open the light won't work.
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: dedicated curcuits - 02/08/05 02:40 AM
thanks, i really appreciate the responses.
© ECN Electrical Forums