ECN Forum
Posted By: aphares Youngest master - 02/05/05 06:43 PM
I passed the blocks master test at the age of 27 back in 96.
Many times, by the people that know me, address me by the youngest master. Most times as the person they know. So, I have done searches for the youngest master, but come up empty handed, Well not wanting to gloat if it was true, but have problems believing it. Would anyone know the true answer or a database for looking that kind of information up?
Posted By: Local3Jr Re: Youngest master - 02/05/05 07:55 PM
Sorry to bust your bubble, but I passed it when I was 24.
Posted By: Roger Re: Youngest master - 02/05/05 09:20 PM
Local3jr,
Sorry to bust your bubble, but I passed it when I was 24.
don't take this wrong but if that is the case, I must ask what a "MIJ aka 5th year apprentice" is?

To both of you, Take note that if we are talking licensing exams and comparing state to state, it can not be a fair comparison, some states allow their exams to be taken with three years experience while others require 7 years or 14,000 hrs training and or OJT. I know of a fellow in the mid 70's that passed the FL state masters (only required three years) at 22 I believe.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 02-05-2005).]
Posted By: velect Re: Youngest master - 02/05/05 10:40 PM
I pasted mine in 1978 in Michigan at the age of 24. At that time all you needed was a written affidavit from a licensed electrical contractor (my father) that stated you had been an apprentice for four years. That allowed you take the Journeyman's test which I passed in 1976. Two years later I could take the Masters exam.
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: Youngest master - 02/06/05 02:30 AM
in CT it takes 8000 hours(4years) in the field plus classes to get your journeyman's license. and after that it's another 2 years to become master. i am hslf way through the 8000 hours. i am 28.
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: Youngest master - 02/06/05 02:59 AM
Hi,
Congrats on passing the test. I guess we can count on your help when the tough questions show up?

Are you making any money with that license or just bragging about it?

Thats ok, brag all you want, you earned it!

It is harder to keep than to get! $250 every year plus code upgrades etc..

Good Luck!

Regards

Greg
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Youngest master - 02/06/05 02:19 PM
Ever tried humble pie? [Linked Image] Just for kicks, I was younger. I am sure there were plenty of others younger than me. And the point is?
Posted By: harold endean Re: Youngest master - 02/06/05 04:09 PM
I think that anyone who passes the electrical exam should be proud and blow their own horn. It takes time, knowledge and a thirst to learn in order to take the test. When I went (Back in '84) the test was 4 hours long. 2 hours was open book and 2 hours was closed book. When I was sitting there waiting for the test to begin, several guys were there SCARED because they took the test 5-6-even 10 times before and they couldn't pass it. I guess I was lucky and passed it the first time. Only 30 out of 300 people passed that time. Now the test is 6 hours long! There a 1 hour part for NJ law and another part for fire alarms. I wish the best of luck for anyone who is going for the test.
Posted By: CRM Re: Youngest master - 02/06/05 04:57 PM
I agree with Harold, when I passed my master exam a couple of years ago, I couldn't get the smile off my face for a couple of days, and I told everyone who would listen that I passed. You should be proud of it. I passed mine when I was 30 years old.
Posted By: bigrockk Re: Youngest master - 02/06/05 06:17 PM
My situation was much the same as yours Harold (except for the fact I wrote my exam in Alberta). I went back in 2000/2001; there was more than one guy who was on his 2nd, 3rd or 4th attempt.
When I wrote the exam was 7 hours long. 3 1/2 hours without a break, a 45 min lunch break and then another 3 1/2 hours of exam, and then a couple of hours of tossing back beer. [Linked Image] I was lucky as well and passed on my first attempt at the age of 40.
Posted By: walrus Re: Youngest master - 02/06/05 07:54 PM
I passed the masters when I was 44. Used to think that was old, now, not so much [Linked Image]
Posted By: Fred Re: Youngest master - 02/06/05 10:07 PM
The way it was around here when I sat for the Block Master's Exam you had to have a HS diploma or GED and 4 years apprentice under a Journeyman before you could sit for the Journeyman Exam and then hold a Journeyman's license for 3 years before taking the Masters. I was 35 when I passed the Block Master's Exam on my first attempt.
Posted By: Kelley Re: Youngest master - 02/06/05 10:52 PM
i was 24 when i passed the masters exam here in Massachusetts
Posted By: sparkync Re: Youngest master - 02/07/05 01:55 AM
I was 28yrs. when I passed mine in NC. Took 8 hours to take. 1st. 4 hours were questions, last 4 were calculations. Thankfully, I passed the first time... Steve.... Don't won't to have to take it again though [Linked Image]
Posted By: harold endean Re: Youngest master - 02/07/05 03:07 AM
I came back to this message just to see what everyone else would say. Again i say with a very large grin on my face and a large cold one in my hand, that YES I passed the test and i give each and everyone of you out there with tha lic. a great big handshake and a pat on the back. You people are a very dedicated bunch of people who took the time out to learn how to be in a trade that sometimes came be very difficult. Some of the other trades call us names because they think that we don't want to get our hands dirty. Well I tell them that to be an electrical contractor, it takes brains, nerves of steel to work on live circuits, common sense in order to why something doesn't work, you have to be a detective when you go out on service calls in order to figure out what someone else did before you got there. Someone once told me that on the insurence list, we would rate right up there with airplane pilots. I asked, "Why?" They said that electricians as airplane pilots, we are very good with our trade. However if/when we get TOO COMFORTABLE, we then have a chance of causing a big problem. Someone might get hurt or a building might burn. That is why we ALWAYS have to be on our toes when we work. I will get off my soapbox now. Thank You!
© ECN Electrical Forums