ECN Forum
Posted By: BigB Side by Side Services (Overhead) - 02/04/05 01:19 AM
Lately there have been a lot of residential duplexes changing hands here. Many are in need of upgrades which are getting done at the time of sale.
My question to those who have done these, do you prefer to go with one riser and a gutter or two risers? The POCO here only requires one riser to be 2" IMC, the other can be smaller since it does not support the drop.
I was thinking two meter combos and two risers to be simple and inexpensive. Here in AZ it customary to install everything in one panel, branch circuits and all. 100 amp combos are only 50 bucks. The damn 2" IMC riser costs $40. To me the gutter seems like more labor, expensive bugs and bigger wire.
Just wanted to get some opinions.
Posted By: iwire Re: Side by Side Services (Overhead) - 02/04/05 01:26 AM
I was thinking two meter combos and two risers to be simple

Why not a two gang socket and one riser?

This one riser only needs to be large enough to carry the calculated load not the total breaker size.
Posted By: BigB Re: Side by Side Services (Overhead) - 02/04/05 01:45 AM
iwire,
the last time I asked about dual meter packs I think I was quoted between 300 and 400 dollars. If I just use meter sockets, then I need to install two main panels under them, which might work ok. I'll check the supply house tomorrow.
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Side by Side Services (Overhead) - 02/05/05 12:55 AM
The 400 amp (dual 200 compatiable, I did 200 amp, dual 100's) two gang meter pan I installed last week was under $200 including the lug kit.
Posted By: russ m Re: Side by Side Services (Overhead) - 02/05/05 04:38 PM
Just wondering, on a side by side dulplex, how do you put someones meter on someone else's property?
Can't fences be put up to seperate yard space?
What happens if an owner is a jerk and won't let an electrician in his yard to work on a problem concerning your meter.
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: Side by Side Services (Overhead) - 02/05/05 04:52 PM
Hi,
Russ-most duplexes are rentals and owned by one person or company. I am not saying that there are not two party duplexes but is probably not that common.

A duplex will have two separate back yards, front yard and driveway but often will share some part of the building.

Just my thought.

Regards

Greg
Posted By: russ m Re: Side by Side Services (Overhead) - 02/05/05 06:18 PM
Hi Greg:
I don't think there are more than a couple of duplexs in my city, and I've never had to deal with it. I do have friends that live in duplexs in other areas, were the duplexs have two seperate owners. That's what came to mind when I read this thread.
© ECN Electrical Forums