ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk American 240V dimmer? - 02/02/05 09:43 PM
I've received an e-mail inquiry from somebody wanting to install a European chandelier in an American home. Apparently it uses ten bulbs, and they're rather specialized types which can't be obtained in 120V versions, so the plan is to run a dedicated 240V branch for the two fixtures (she already brought back a supply of bulbs from Europe).

The plan is to run on a dimmer, and herein I see a problem. First, are there any U.S.-market 240V dimmers? I've checked through the Graybar catalog and can see only 120 and 277V types.

There's the possibility of using an American-made dimmer intended for export to 220/240V standards (it seems that Lutron might do one), but are there any such dimmers with double-pole switching? A single-pole one would work of course, but would not be code-compliant as it would leave the fixture hot when turned off.

Can anybody think of any other workaround which would be code compliant? Maybe a double-gang box with dimmer and adjacent double-pole switch?

The only other way I can see would be to run a normal 120V branch through the dimmer and install a transformer for the chandeliers (600 watts total each).

Any other ideas or code problems? I've already thought of the possibility of an inspector not liking a fixture which doesn't have UL approval.
Posted By: iwire Re: American 240V dimmer? - 02/02/05 09:51 PM
Paul a 240 volt fixture is not allowed in a house.

210.6 Branch-Circuit Voltage Limitations.

The nominal voltage of branch circuits shall not exceed the values permitted by 210.6(A) through (E).

(A) Occupancy Limitation. In dwelling units and guest rooms of hotels, motels, and similar occupancies, the voltage shall not exceed 120 volts, nominal, between conductors that supply the terminals of the following:

(1)Luminaires (lighting fixtures)

(2)Cord-and-plug-connected loads 1440 volt-amperes, nominal, or less or less than 1/4 hp

Sorry, Bob
Posted By: pauluk Re: American 240V dimmer? - 02/02/05 11:00 PM
Thanks Bob. I'd actually just come across that article myself while looking through the code.

I was trying to find the rule -- which I'm sure I've seen -- that in a residential system no conductor must be more than 150V to ground. I was thinking that any xfmr used for 220V output would need a center-tap ground to satisfy that requirement.

Still 210.6 kind of makes that academic now anyway. I'll break the bad news.

Thanks.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: American 240V dimmer? - 02/02/05 11:29 PM
Can the fixture be rewired using US standard lampholders?
Posted By: winnie Re: American 240V dimmer? - 02/03/05 12:08 AM
If the customer doesn't need the lamps to be _bright_, then you can simply install the fixture and use the existing 240V bulbs. You will need other light sources in the room, but the chandelier will produce rather nice 'mood lighting' at half voltage.

-Jon
Posted By: RobbieD Re: American 240V dimmer? - 02/03/05 12:14 AM
Does this fixture have the proper certification? UL? Fixtures and appliances over in europe have CE approval. I was under the impression that anything here in north america must be approved(UL or another recognized approval)I don't think CE is approved here.
Let me know if I am wrong.
Posted By: Roger Re: American 240V dimmer? - 02/03/05 12:33 AM
Robbie, there is no general requirement for fixtures to be third party listed or approved. Notice that in 410.4 the words; marked, suitable, and identified are used.

I have a few antique fixtures in my home, some I have rewired and others have the original wiring. I did however check all of them out as far as the wiring.

Roger
Posted By: RobbieD Re: American 240V dimmer? - 02/03/05 12:35 AM
Thanks!
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: American 240V dimmer? - 02/03/05 02:50 AM
Pauluk,

Check your local supply house. Mine stocks adaptors that screw into the european sockets that take candleabra bulbs. Then wire it 120v. I've done it. And the adaptors are cheap!
Posted By: Roger Re: American 240V dimmer? - 02/03/05 03:13 AM
HLCbuild, I don't think Paul will need the adapters, he is in England. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: American 240V dimmer? - 02/03/05 03:21 AM
Roger, thanks for the tip. Pauluk... you can pass this on. Your post said this was in an American home. Maybe someone will get the benefit out of it.
Posted By: pauluk Re: American 240V dimmer? - 02/03/05 08:27 PM
Thanks for all the ideas guys. My initial reaction to the problem was to suggest simply fitting the chandeliers with suitable 120V bulbs (after checking that the fixture wires will handle the higher current of course), but the lady said she couldn't locate any American 120V bulbs of the special design that she wanted to keep. I didn't think to ask whether the bases are normal ES or something different.

Ultimately, it may be a case of settling for a different type of bulb. I would think that in the huge range available there is something acceptable, even if not identical to the originals in style.

The underrun "mood lighting" idea would certainly help those hard-to-obtain foreign bulbs last longer! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-03-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums