ECN Forum
RALEIGH, N.C. (Jan. 31, 2005) -- In an upcoming episode of 'FearFactor Couples,' contestants are reportedly required to stand near an electric power substation and receive minor, "nuisance" shocks. In reality, what Fear Factor describes as a nuisance shock could be extremely dangerous. The episode is scheduled to air tonight, Monday, Jan. 31, at 8 p.m. (EST).
see Utilities Send Message to Fear Factor: Electricity Is No Game for more info.

(Thanks to Joe Tedesco fotr the heads up)

Bill
Wow! surprised the producers got that idea past the lawyers.
This is NOT the first time they've done stunts in or around a substation. On a previous episode the contestants walked across a suspended beam on stilts in what looked like the rear area of the substation. The beam WAS NOT over any gear, but the cranes supporting said beam seemed a little close to substaion equipment.

The worst part to me anyway is when they did thier "walk-in" right through the middle of LIVE transformers and switchgear. If I were on the show, I'd have lost by refusing to walk through that gear with power on.

It appeared to be a local facility owned by a utility that handles liquid and electricity. [Linked Image] I do wonder how much money changed hands to permit filming in a dangerous facility....

One of the local POCO's aired a warning commercial during last night's episode. (Not the same one I refer to above.)

An incredibly stupid stunt in any event.

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 02-01-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums