ECN Forum
Posted By: tkb Snow Melting Cable - 01/29/05 02:37 PM
I finally decided that I need to install some snow melt cable on my roof and gutters.
Bad ice damming and icicles.
I know that Raychem makes this product, but it may be a little expensive.
Any recommendations on a particular manufacturer that can be cut to length in the field?
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Snow Melting Cable - 01/29/05 04:20 PM
Raychem, Thermon, Chromalox all make heat trace. The good stuff is expensive.

Make sure you get all the accessories that you need. Power taps, t-stats, end caps, tees, etc.

Make sure that you power this with an EPD breaker. You might want to rethink this as a DIY project, the consequences for error are pretty extreme.

GJ
Posted By: tkb Re: Snow Melting Cable - 01/29/05 04:40 PM
This is a DYI for myself.
I am an electrical contractor with 25 years in the trade. Mostly commercial and industrial.
I haven't installed any snow melt on a house before though.
What is an EDB breaker. I thought it had to be on a GFI breaker?
Posted By: capt al Re: Snow Melting Cable - 01/29/05 05:04 PM
Tim welcome to ECN. Do I need to drive the van over and show you how to do this? Seriously Tim it up to how much you want to spend. You get what you pay for and New England winters are not easy on the cable. I removed my ice melt system when I replaced my roof and had ice and water shield installed. I'll get you the name of the product I used. It was on the roof ten years with no problems. A little pricey but well worth it.

Al
Posted By: tkb Re: Snow Melting Cable - 01/29/05 05:14 PM
Hi Capt Al,
I'd rather you climb my roof than me. Don't we both need IIA ladders? [Linked Image]
I don't mind spending the money if the product lasts 10-20 year.
Posted By: iwire Re: Snow Melting Cable - 01/29/05 05:19 PM
Don't we both need IIA ladders?

I can vouch for that. [Linked Image]

I am also catching up on you two.

Tim Raychem makes different price lines, you do not need the $10.00 per lin ft stuff.

Bob
Posted By: capt al Re: Snow Melting Cable - 01/29/05 05:25 PM
Bob, you're killing me. If I have to climb on his roof I want to use the $10.00 a foot stuff. Also the van only has type IIA ladders on it so we are all set.

Al
Posted By: capt al Re: Snow Melting Cable - 01/29/05 05:31 PM
Tim, check your email.
Al
Posted By: denny3992 Re: Snow Melting Cable - 01/29/05 06:17 PM
just bought some raychem 240v self reg stuff it was $3 per foot gfpe breakers range from $140 - $270
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Snow Melting Cable - 01/29/05 06:50 PM
Uh, isn't this the worst time of the year to install this stuff? Seriously, this is not going to prevent ice dams and icicles. It is meant to keep small channels open for the water to flow through to prevent the water from backing up and causing leaking from ice dams.
Posted By: Joey D Re: Snow Melting Cable - 01/29/05 07:03 PM
One of the manufactures makes a metal plate style that slides up under the 1st row of shingles maybe 10 inches and the cable attaches to that giving you a better melt on the whole edge of the house instaead of just where the cables sit. I have seen it on the supply house counter so take a look before you buy just the cables.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Snow Melting Cable - 01/29/05 08:00 PM
Good thread going here, was thinking of adding that to my house as well.

But, you can add all the roof heaters you want, if the gutters freeze up solid with ice, and you still have heat loss in the house, you are still going to have icicles, and the wieght of them might pull down your gutters. I reinsulated the attic and vented it and that eliminated the Daming of the ice on the roof, but my gutters froze over from the sun melting the snow.

Any ideas on gutter heaters, some I've seen look very pricey, and I saw where there cost @.35/hr to operate.
Any clues?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Snow Melting Cable - 01/29/05 11:34 PM
Just a few easy comments...
Our local Graybar is selling basic Raychem kits at a price that breaks down to less than $2 a foot.
I can't speak for the other brands mentioned...Raychem is the only one I've seen that is self-regulating, and can be cut to length. It is also not damaged if it somehow gets crossed over itself- an important concern with older types.
The system I installed last year included lengths of cable to run into gutters and down downspouts.
I believe the reference was to an "Equipment protective device," which is essentially a GFI breaker set at 20ma. The system I put in just used GFI breakers; so far, so good.
Oddly enough, I think the NEC exempts rooftop ice-melt receptacles from GFI requirements. I say, follow the mfr. instructions.
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Snow Melting Cable - 01/30/05 01:23 AM
IMO,roof de-ice cables are a pain in the a** to install...it must run down through the gutters and down spouts also to work properly...it is expensive to run...catches all the fall leaves and pine needles which make it difficult to clean the gutters.

I just borrowed a roof snow shovel from my buddy and we cleared the roof of the heavy snow in less than 2 hours. The important area to remove the snow was the last 4 feet near the gutters.In a couple of days the damn damns were gone.The pole on the snow shovel had 6 foot extensions to add in sections...I had an 18' reach.

shortcircuit
© ECN Electrical Forums