ECN Forum
Posted By: highground Service Change Enclosures/Practices - 01/28/05 03:22 PM
When performing a service change and existing circuts are not long enough to reach new equipment, do any of you remove innards from the old panel and convert it to big jbox? Do you extend individual grounding conductors? If installing a new jbox in old panel location, is a pvc enclosure OK, assuming it has ample volume. Just looking for general thoughts on the subject, hints, tips, etc, that make for the cleanest install.

Thanks
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Service Change Enclosures/Practices - 01/28/05 03:55 PM
Reusing the existing panel will require you to fabricate a new blank cover for the panel, which the AHJ may or may not accept.

The only potential problem I see with a big PVC box is the lack of ground continuity if any of the branch circuits are run in AC, MC, or metallic conduit. Grounding wedges would be needed to bond the conduit or cable armor at the box.

I generally don't reuse the existing panel, and use a short length of wireway as a splice box if I can get the old circuits into the new panel.
Posted By: russ m Re: Service Change Enclosures/Practices - 01/29/05 02:00 AM
Using the old panel as a splice/junction box is a common installation. usualy as long as you can close the cover, and secure it with a screw it,s acceptable.
It would be also acceptable to splice small old conductors in the new panel to extend them to termination points.(312.8)
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Service Change Enclosures/Practices - 01/29/05 02:43 AM
I used old panels as J boxes in the past, and used adhesive, or screws on the cover to keep the door from opening. Now I usually run conduit to a deep 4X4. It's usually not NM, so there are no ground wires to deal with.

Dave
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Service Change Enclosures/Practices - 01/29/05 02:57 AM
...I try to keep the new panel as high as feasibly possible,to get "the most out of my wire" but not too high that the little ol'blue haired widow (with 19 cats,and 4 truckloads of unwashed laundry from 3 decades ago that block every perceivable inch of space in front o'the panel,and whose breath smells like Flinstones vitamins and swiss cheese),couldn't reach the Main.I splice (very neatly,and meticulously) in the panel when I have to..
Russ
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Service Change Enclosures/Practices - 01/29/05 03:08 PM
I seen it a number of times wher they will leave the old panel, splice in it, screw it shut, and nipple to the new one next to it. I'm not saying you can't do it. I think it looks much cleaner to remove the old and fight every pipe with wires in the new panel.

More of a reason to reuse the old panel is if it is in a finished wall like a closet and the new service is across the place.

Reusing the old panels I see EC write on them "splice box, no fuses inside". Instead of screwing the cover shout couldn't you just load it up with breaker fillers if it's a more modern panel?

Tom
© ECN Electrical Forums