ECN Forum
Posted By: doc FISH TAPES - 01/16/01 10:30 PM
Which do you like best fiberglass , steel ,or nylon tapes for pulling wire and how do you protect steel tape in hot panels
Posted By: sparky Re: FISH TAPES - 01/16/01 11:31 PM
Doc, I'm always fishin'...The first thing i do when i get a new tape is to trash the container, and make 3' dia. loops thru 3/4" or 1" flex. I'll wrap electrical tape around this for insulation. I've used those springy leader lines, there ok on a long run where there's a 90 some distance away. For shorter runs into a panel i'll fish with 1/4" nylon tube,which a mechanic turned me on to. For unoccupied runs back to a live panel i'll screw on a threaded coupling with a hole plug on the end. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: FISH TAPES - 01/17/01 12:36 PM
Sparky,

I assume that you take the locknut off before screwing on your threaded coupling? So that there are enough threads to keep it from getting knocked off into the live bus?

Sounds like a keeper! [Linked Image]

Hey, maybe we'll start a ECN Tips area,
what do you think?
Posted By: rmiell Re: FISH TAPES - 01/21/01 12:11 AM
Bill, check out this link. <http://www.elec-toolbox.com/frames.html> Click on "tricks of the trade"

Rick
Posted By: sparky Re: FISH TAPES - 01/21/01 12:40 AM
Yes i do Bill, but i had to be shown, i can't take credit for this one.....and i could always use an idea or two, if you care to catalog them here.

For instance...

Has anyone figured out how to keep a fish moving in a wall by itself?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: FISH TAPES - 01/21/01 01:18 AM
Thanks Rick,

I've been there. Some good stuff! I haven't had a chance to read too many though. Never enough Time!
I thought Sparky was being the inventive one here. [Linked Image]

As far as keeping the fish from moving, I will sometimes use Conduit or tubing as a sleeve as far as I can.
Posted By: gpowellpec Re: FISH TAPES - 01/21/01 02:15 PM
Go to http://www.majicsticks.com/

They make fiberglass rods to fish walls and over ceilings.
Posted By: sparky Re: FISH TAPES - 01/21/01 11:10 PM
How about fishin' over suspended cielings?
© ECN Electrical Forums