ECN Forum
Posted By: Jps1006 Sump pump outside - 01/12/05 02:39 AM
I have a customer that is moving his sump pump outside. It currently is in a crawlspace under his master bedroom, and he is tired of hearing it cycle on & off at night, so they are digging a hole just outside, running the drain tiles to it, and then piping it to the storm sewer.

I want to avoid GFI to avoid nusiance tripping flooding the lower level. Any suggestions? I'm thinking an in-use cover with a single receptacle wouldn't fly because that exception only applies to the garage and basement.

Any suggestions?

Can I clip the cord and run it into an AC disconnect?
Posted By: Radar Re: Sump pump outside - 01/12/05 02:57 PM
Can't you find an applicable exception to the GFI requirement based on: a) receptacle location not readily accessable, or: b) single receptacle (not duplex) dedicated to equipment fixed in place (Art 210-8)?
Posted By: kd Re: Sump pump outside - 01/12/05 04:23 PM
Hey, install a GFCI; it is required to protect people from shock. Perhaps install it on a wall indoors so it will not get moisture in it and feed the sump pump downstream. If it trips, try to find a 15 mili-amp tripping model. If that trips, you will have to replace the GFCI with a switch. At least you tried. I am assuming that it is a new sump pump or they cannot afford to get a new one.
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Sump pump outside - 01/12/05 05:54 PM
I'd keep the power cord and install a single receptacle with a WWIU cover. GFCI protection isn't required or recommended.

Dave
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Sump pump outside - 01/12/05 06:14 PM
There is no code exception for this appication. The only excecption to 210.8(A)(3) is for snow melting equipment. You have 3 choices, 1) install the GFCI, 2) install a hardwired pump, or 3) install a 240 volt cord connected pump.
Don
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Sump pump outside - 01/13/05 01:36 AM
Thanks guys.

Don, I was thinking along the same lines as you, except I didn't think of your option 3.

I'll put this question to my AHJ, but do any of you see a problem with cutting off the end of the cord? I guess besides maybe that a plumber will be fiddling around with it when it comes time to replace it.
© ECN Electrical Forums