ECN Forum
Posted By: Joey D Main panel over water meter - 01/11/05 03:25 PM
I have an existing main panel that has the water meter under it about 2ft below and it's off the wall 10 inches. Inspector says to move the panel as the code says it can't be mounted above the water meter. I didn't see it so here I am asking. Thanks.
Posted By: electricman786 Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/11/05 03:31 PM
Clearence area for Panel is
24" to sides
36" to front
from ground to Panel
Posted By: earlydean Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/11/05 03:39 PM
110.26 covers clearances about panels. There are two parts: the working clearance in front (30 x 36) and the dedicated space above and below (equal to the footprint from floor to ceiling).
Posted By: Roger Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/11/05 05:15 PM
It is a violation of 110.26 (3), but You say it is an existing situation

What type of authority does this inspector have that he can have you change an existing condition, or what type of project are we talking about?

Roger
Posted By: Joey D Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/12/05 01:49 AM
I am changing out the panel to a new panel, thats it.
Posted By: Roger Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/12/05 03:28 AM
Joey, the inspector has a valid stance.

Roger
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/12/05 04:21 PM
File under "why people avoid permits". Tough to say without seeing how obsructed the panel is but I do service upgrades like this all the time and never have I moved the panel location. Burdening the homeowner with an added cost might not be an option for them. Thus they will do nothing or avoid permits altogether. Rule 3 from Mass Elec Code. "Addtions or modifications to an existing installation shall be made in accordance with this Code without bringing the remaining part of the installation into compliance with the requirements of this Code. The installation shall not create a violation of this Code, nor shall it increase the magnitude of an existing violation." Where does this leave us?
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/12/05 05:30 PM
If it were anything but a water meter I'd suggest that the plumber violated the code and needed to move the plumbing. That's the position some VERY NICE inspectors have taken in the past. It really shouldn't be too much work to relocate to one side with a 90 degree sweep.

Dave
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/12/05 05:34 PM
...or add a couple floor-to-ceiling 2X4s and bring the panel away from the wall a foot or two with a long RMC nipple.

Dave
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/12/05 07:33 PM
Dave moving the panel is obviously easy. What about all the airing that has to go back into it. Not likely that it will reach.
Posted By: Joey D Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/12/05 11:44 PM
This is in Needem Ma. If your from the area you know this guy. Anyways I think the panel is not obstructed by the water meter at all as it is mounted on wood and not against the wall. It's only that you see it that it's a problem.
Electricmanscoot, I was thinking about rule 3 but this guy is so hard to even talk to it may get moved
Posted By: Norstarr Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/13/05 12:25 AM
Joey, If you can't stand in front of that panel with nothing in your way you will have to move it. I've done many like that and its included in the quote. I also explain it to the customer (both verbally and on the quote) so that when the guy that changes services without changing the meter socket or taking a permit out comes along at least the customer might challenge them as to relocating the panel. If that water meter is anywhere in the 30 X 36 space the inspector is right and should be respected for the fact that he is one that is doing his job. He is not being unreasonable. Ever work in front of a panel with a small obstruction in front of it and back up to trip over it? First thing you do is grab out in front of you to get your balance. Try to get the customer to pay some extra for it to be moved because the inspector requires it. Most people will understand. Good luck.
Ron
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/13/05 01:22 AM
Joey D...Ernie goes by the book over there in Needham I hear..and then some. So you better go by the book too.

shortcircuit
Posted By: Joey D Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/13/05 01:32 AM
Ron, I understand why it should be moved but it does not stick off the wall more than the panel does. Like I said it's not in your way working on it. I was talking with another inspector, next town over and he said he would not make me move it do to the fact it's an existing install and moving the panel would result in juntion box city.
Posted By: Norstarr Re: Main panel over water meter - 01/13/05 02:07 AM
Joey, If it isn't sticking out anymore than the panel then I have to agree with you due to the fact that it was existing. You can actually stand in front of the panel without hitting an obstruction. It's interesting to see that it does not matter where you go you will find inspectors unable to think beyond the black and white.
Ron
© ECN Electrical Forums