ECN Forum
Posted By: Harold Best Confirming properly grounded equipment - 01/16/01 05:57 PM
I work in the safety department and we utilize a new equipment checklist for any new or altered equipment. One of the items on the checklist deals with the proper grounding of equipment. I have asked various electrical contractors to confirm that the equipment they have installed is properly grounded before I complete the checklist. Does anybody have any suggestions at to the best way to confirm that the equipment is properly grounded? What type of confirmation test should we require?
Posted By: sparky Re: Confirming properly grounded equipment - 01/16/01 08:45 PM
Harold;
the grounding requirements of article 250 in the NEC are many times pertinent to specific equipment. So you may need an answer for each individual situation. [Linked Image]
Harold,

Perhaps if you gave us more details on the types of equipment you are dealing with We would be better able to offer suggestions.

Cord and plug connected? - if so, are you referring to the grounding of the equipment itself or the circuit it is connected to?

What type of location is this equipment installed in? is it a Hazardous Location?
more details might help.

Bill
Originally posted by Bill Addiss:
Harold,

Perhaps if you gave us more details on the types of equipment you are dealing with We would be better able to offer suggestions.

Cord and plug connected? - if so, are you referring to the grounding of the equipment itself or the circuit it is connected to?

What type of location is this equipment installed in? is it a Hazardous Location?
more details might help.

Bill

This checklist is used for any new or altered equipment. The most recent items I have used the checklist on include: cardboard baler, dock locks, Landringer (puts plastic wrap around loads on pallets), production auxillary equipment, etc.

I assume you just have to look at the specific equipment and determine how the grounding should be confirmed (i.e. test with meter, etc.).
Posted By: BR Re: Confirming properly grounded equipment - 02/12/01 07:54 AM
The equipment installation should be inspected to meet the requirements of NEC 250. "Checking with a meter" will not tell you much if you use a multimeter. The ohmmeter section will only measure resistance, not impedance. You need to use an impedance tester such as a Tasco Inspector, ECCOS, Suretest, or GLIT if you want to measure inpedance.
Posted By: sparky Re: Confirming properly grounded equipment - 02/14/01 12:40 AM
BR;
May i ask which impedance tester you would recommend? I am in the market for one.... [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums