ECN Forum
Posted By: NJ Wireman Company Clothing - 12/10/04 05:24 PM
How many companies out thier provide there employees with company clothing. IE t-shirt, sweatshirts, hoodies, Jackets etc.

I think it is a great way to see your co. I have items from the co. i work for and i wear them even when off from work as well as my wife wears them all the time. I look at it like its free advertising for my boss.

He takes care of us by providing such and we take vare of him by advertising for him.
Posted By: slumlordworker Re: Company Clothing - 12/10/04 07:00 PM
we are in the process of getting hats sweatshirts polos ant t shirts made up. seem like a good idea free advertisment and clothing can't beat that idea if you own a small shop
Posted By: Clint Re: Company Clothing - 12/10/04 09:32 PM
we got t-shirts, polos, jackets, hats. all kinds of other things too, coffee mugs and stuff. For christmas everyone is getting a black embroidered carhartt.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Company Clothing - 12/10/04 09:37 PM
It's funny how people want this stuff. I have shirts for myself that I wear for work. Whenever I get a bunch of new ones everybody wants them. It just has the name of my business on it.
Posted By: Ron Re: Company Clothing - 12/10/04 10:55 PM
OSHA requires that the employer provide personal protective equipment to their employees. So choose a Category 0, 1 or 2 shirt to give out and everyone will be protected at some level.
Posted By: NJ Wireman Re: Company Clothing - 12/10/04 11:00 PM
I am just talking about regular clothing, some time i think we take things alittle to far guys. Come on if they buy you regular 50/50 clothing thats fine. I know we always think saftey but in the same time if we that bad we better put ourselves in a bubble. Be happy to get some things to wear to work so you dont have to distroy your own clothing. Just keep in mind certain rules are a suggeted or a recomendation ie NFPA . Some times it pays to just keep things simple
Posted By: NJ Wireman Re: Company Clothing - 12/11/04 12:26 AM
Bill,

On the topic of clothing have you ever consider having something made for the site, could be sold on the side section. Would be a cool thing to have?

Coffe cup?
Sweetshirt?
T-Shirt?

[This message has been edited by NJ Wireman (edited 12-10-2004).]
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Company Clothing - 12/11/04 01:16 AM
Ron, can you elaborate. This is news to me.

Every contractor I know gets shirts made and everyone wants everyone elses shirts. Never have I heard of OSHA approved shirts, though I don't doubt it.

I have gotten shirts from the three companies I've worked for from T's to polos to button down long sleeved. Now I have my own shirts and everyone wants them, even the kids. I got my kids t's and hoodies. Do my kids need OSHA shirts too???
Posted By: kinetic Re: Company Clothing - 12/11/04 02:37 AM
I would buy and wear an ECN shirt if the shirt was well made. Someone mentioned a way to support the site in an earlier thread. Can't think of a better way to do it than that. So Scott....that shirt is in the mail right [Linked Image] Always have been a sucker for a free shirt.
Posted By: Ron Re: Company Clothing - 12/11/04 04:21 AM
Here's my logic:
OSHA requires compliance with NFPA 70E (Electrical Safety Standard), NFPA 70E has 5 levels of protective clothing that may be worn when working on energized circuits/equipment. The appropriate level/category is chosen based on the amount of arc flash incident energy available at the equipment and your proximity to the energized part.
Category 0, is essentially required for many residential situations. Category 0 is natural fiber clothing and other accessories. So if your going to buy company clothes, it might as well be category 0 or higher. A 50/50 shirt is not even category 0, as the non-natural fiber portion will melt on the skin during the heat of an arc blast.
Posted By: iwire Re: Company Clothing - 12/11/04 01:16 PM
A 100% cotton shirt is a good choice, no synthetic blends. [Linked Image]

We get shirts, hats, sweatshirts, once in a while jackets.
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Company Clothing - 12/11/04 02:02 PM
Bob, 100% is the way to go. I try real hard to stay away from blends, mostyly because I hate them.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Company Clothing - 12/11/04 03:26 PM
I put our logo on everything. We give T-shirts and sweatshirts to our employees and expect them to wear something with a logo everyday. The sweatshirts are embroidered and look really nice. Everybody wants one, so I keep several in my truck and give one to any good customer or contractor who wants one. They cost about $15 and that's cheap advertising if you look at how long that shirt will last. They can't put it on without thinking of my company.
Posted By: capt al Re: Company Clothing - 12/11/04 03:55 PM
Ron is correct, Category 0 is the minimum you want to wear. Even with Arc Flash Jackets on you should wear 100% cotton under the jacket.
If you ever visit a burn center, you would not want to wear a mixed blend of cotton and polyester again. The burnt cotton part of the clothing comes off much easier than the polyester. Polyester melts into the burn area and is scrubbed off. Not a very pleasant treatment.
Sorry for the graphics of this post, but I feel guys need to be aware of the results caused by wearing less than Category 0 clothing.

Al
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Company Clothing - 12/11/04 06:14 PM
I love getting something with a name on it if I've gotten a good deal or decent service as I can then extole the virtues of the proprietor further if asked.

I have a slight 'caution' to offer though from the perspective of the employee: don't mistake the gift or the offer of the clothing as a replacement for compensation or merit bonuses. Pretty soon the employee may wonder if they're seeing their work or income as being devalued to the same value of a t-shirt or ball cap. We used to laugh that we were both the service company, a clothing retailer and billboards when many of our 'peak performer' type of awards came in the form of apparel with the company name on it.
Posted By: mxslick Re: Company Clothing - 12/11/04 06:24 PM
I agree with Bugaboo, don't let company hats, t-shirts, etc. take the place of EARNED compensation or raises. Otherwise your employees might want to get their own t-shirts made:

"I work for XYZ Electric and all I got was this lousy T-shirt." [Linked Image]

As soon as I settle on the right design, I'm having tees and hats made for my company (TPA TransCom Theatre Services).

At least no one has suggested working in kilts! [Linked Image] IIRC there is a contracting co. where the men wear kilts!
Posted By: iwire Re: Company Clothing - 12/11/04 06:33 PM
At least no one has suggested working in kilts! IIRC there is a contracting co. where the men wear kilts!

I doubt many companies want there name on kilts. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from secure.utilikilts.com]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 12-11-2004).]
Posted By: electure Re: Company Clothing - 12/11/04 07:07 PM
Bending pipe, pulling wire, etc. on unenergized new construction doesn't require the use of PPE, does it? [Linked Image]

It's great advertising!!

Shirts might not be such a hot idea until a secure employer/employee relationship is established.

Imagine sitting down to dinner to see that new hire on TV News being arrested with your name and logo emblazened across his back. [Linked Image]

(I started for a company that gave out shirts to 1st day employees. After about a week or so a car pulled up while I was working, and a really irate stranger got out screaming at me about my working fora ripoff company. After about a week more, I realized he was very right, and I quit.
The Tshirts still saw use though. Near new, they were passed out in Los Angeles on Skid Row to some winos that would advertise the company without shame, but still in a more favorable light than it deserved.) [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-11-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums