ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Who connects condensers? - 11/24/04 11:43 PM
The post about appliances got me wondering...
I usually install the AC Discos and let the HVAC crew install the whip and wire the condenser.
I'm doing a small (8 unit) subdivision and the HVAC crew don't want to make the final connection.
I wouldn't agree to do this on a 3 phase compressor, but since this is residential, I have been connecting them for a small fee.
I have also been installing a shut-off on the gas-fired furnaces and making the connection to the unit.

What do you guys do.

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving,

John
Posted By: drillman Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/25/04 12:31 AM
I do commerical. Around here we connect them.

The whip is always included in our price. I never really looked into this but I guess the standard set of specs has us doing this.

I have actually had AC guys follow one step behind me to start up the units after I hooked it up on fast track jobs.

My best guess as to why we hook them up is its inspected by the electrical inspector so if the AC guys do it and something gets red tagged, guess who gets the red tag?
Posted By: A-Line Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/25/04 02:45 AM
I'm in Utah and when I do new construction on a single family dwelling I install the breaker in the loadcenter and run the wire from the load center to the outside wall where the A/C unit will be. The hvac guys install a disconnect and wire from the disconnect to the A/C unit.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/25/04 02:45 AM
I never had an A/C of furnace hooked up by the HVAC guy. They set the unit and normaly do the low volt stuff. We provide the wips, disconects and hook them up. A HVAC guy told me they sometimes get everything as a kit. Furnace, A/C, line set, pad, disconect, & wip. They just keep the disco and wip for other jobs.

Tom
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/25/04 02:54 AM
... We always connect them... We have an agreement with the local A/C boys,..they won't touch our disconnects,and we won't charge their linesets... [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ
Posted By: iwire Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/25/04 11:16 AM
Here in MA and RI we do all the line volt work. [Linked Image]

Sometimes the contracts require the HVAC contractor to provide the disconnects and they turn them over to us for installation.
Posted By: iwire Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/25/04 11:25 AM
Just wondering John, when the HVAC contractors do the connection for you do they pull an electrical permit?

That would be required here. they can not work under our permit, we would not let them anyway.

Here if the HVAC contractor even does the control wiring they must have a licensed guy on staff and pull a permit.
Posted By: electure Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/25/04 11:42 AM
We do the Line Voltage connections in the unit, and they do the stat wiring.
We supply both whips.
Rarely do we stray from this.

John (Rojosy), Good to see 'ya!
Posted By: Tom Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/25/04 02:27 PM
I usually just take the circuit to the disconnect, which I furnish, and leave the rest to the HVAC contractor. Around here, HVAC guys cannot be depended on to do their work in a timely manner (generally speaking) and I am usually done & gone by the time they get around to the condensor & furnace hookup.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/25/04 04:05 PM
Surely we're not surprised that almost every A/C install violates NEC, are we?

I like to do it all- including the T-stat wire. Trouble is, I often have no idea where the unit will sit.

The almost universal NEC violations are:
-T-Stat wire run together with power leads from the disconnect to the unit, or the wire run unprotected along with the line-set; and,
-The condenser set in front of the disconnect.
-The flex run unsupported.

A mechanical code violation also often seen is failing to mount the condenser on a proper pad; the shipping skid is not a proper pad!

So, desires aside, I usually end up running to the disconnect, making my best guess as to where the unit will sit- then hope for the best.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/25/04 06:18 PM
iwire,
I never gave consideration to the scope of the permit, whether it includes hooking up the mechanicals, or not.
Around here, it is pretty lax.
And as I see from other responses, the answer varies.
What about a 3 phase hermetic?
How would rotation be verified? Would we connect the equipment and then schedule a return visit if the AC guys aren't on site at the time? What about laibility for equipment damage?

Hi, electure. Nice to see you recognized my return. I have been scarce since going out on my own in February of this year. What with working twice as long I don't have as much free time. But it is OK to work twice as long because I make up for it by earning half the pay [Linked Image]

Seasons Greetings!! Rojosy
Posted By: trollog Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/27/04 05:14 AM
I work in the San Diego area and at out shop we connect em and install the disco.. why that is I have never asked my boss, just seemed obvious and self evident to me. Mechanical guys I have talked to as well as lo-volt alarm & data guys don't seem to like to mess with it if we are there to do it for them- and, I guess, why would they?
Posted By: harold endean Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/29/04 01:08 AM
Redsy,

I was talking to my state about this very question. If the job is brand new, then the contractor is pulling permits and is responsible for the job. On a repair, however, the HVAC guy is allowed to disconnect and replace wiring AFTER the disconnect switch. Same goes for furnace/boiler people, well installers, etc. Once the job is in and inspected, then the repair people can remove and replace the equipment as it is wired. As long as it is after the last disconnect switch.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/29/04 03:27 AM
Harold:
That's a news flash to me!!

I'm under inpression that HVAC can do furnace/boiler replacements, BUT a LIC. EC has to do the Condenser wiring.

That's how it's been in my town! Who did you speak to at DCA??

John
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/29/04 04:07 AM
I do everything. Line voltage wiring, thermostat wiring, disconnect and whip, connections in the furnace and thermostats. I haven't seen a tin-bender yet that could do it right.

Dave
Posted By: CRM Re: Who connects condensers? - 11/29/04 04:43 AM
In my area we do all the line and low voltage wiring, including installing the thermstat, on commercial jobs, where the AC compressor is problably three phase, we leave the disconnect switched off until the hvac contractor does a start up test on it.

[This message has been edited by CRM (edited 11-28-2004).]
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Who connects condensers? - 12/12/04 02:44 PM
Here is a reason not to let A/C service techs connect em.

[Linked Image from ]

BTW it is 208V. 3PH
Posted By: dmattox Re: Who connects condensers? - 12/12/04 04:39 PM
My company connects the high voltage side and runs the thermostat cabling into the unit. I leave the disconnect off and the thermostat cable disconnected so that the units can't be turned on until the A/C guy checks them out.

I personally don't want to be responsible for a destroyed A/C unit due to a frozen component, so I make sure the A/C guy turns it on.
Posted By: electure Re: Who connects condensers? - 12/12/04 06:07 PM
I goofed up big time...Again
I sent NORCAL a bum url
Here's the image that should have posted 2 posts up

[Linked Image]

Sorry, Rollie
Posted By: nesparky Re: Who connects condensers? - 12/12/04 11:32 PM
Arround here the EC hooks up the condensor and furnace. Start up is an HVAC and electrician.
© ECN Electrical Forums