ECN Forum
Posted By: nov hickeys and nipples - 11/20/04 01:15 AM
does anyone know of a company that has a light mounting kit for sale. What I am looking for is a set of nipple runs 1\8" 1\4" and 3\8". then some hickeys and fixture bars, and bushings and maybe some deep canopies. Basically a nice set to install lights in some of these 100 plus year old homes that I am constantly in.
thanks
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/20/04 02:18 AM
One of the lighting stores in my area gives out packs just like you described. They call them builder kits. They don't charge for them, they know that many fixtures will need a different bracket or might be missing parts, so they head off the problem before it happens. You might ask a lighting store in your area if they do the same.
Posted By: Dallas Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/20/04 02:38 AM
There used to be a company called Renovator's Supply, or Renovator's Resource, something along those lines, that sold replica parts for the classic older homes, even up to the Bungalow style of the 40's. They had a fair amount of electrical parts for "luminaires" along with push button switches, ornate covers and such. I don't know if they're still around, though.
Posted By: Dave55 Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/20/04 03:07 AM
Check out www.rejuvination.com

Dave
Posted By: DougW Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/20/04 06:07 AM
Stay away from the "Box" stores... the one by me had a six pack of 3/8 nipples I tried to use one time. They didn't quite fit...

Then I remembered the reason I bought my Klein 6-in-1 tap tool, and looked at the back of the package.

There, in black ink: Made in China

Nothin' against 'em, but "Chinese Standard Thread" doesn't fit our version all the time.

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 11-20-2004).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/20/04 01:43 PM
I was expecting something else! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: watthead Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/20/04 04:31 PM
Me too scott! With a title like that, I was expecting a story about changing the pink lights in one of those bars with poles on the stage.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sir Arcsalot Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/20/04 04:33 PM
Me three!
Posted By: txsparky Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/20/04 08:08 PM
Flasback to my high school days [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 11-20-2004).]
Posted By: capt al Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/21/04 05:46 PM
Nov, check at a supply house that has a lighting dept. Angelo Products made a nice kit I purchased at a local supply house awhile back. It came in a case you could keep in your truck with all sorts of fixture parts. It worked well for me in old homes.

Al
Posted By: Norstarr Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/21/04 07:04 PM
Scott and Watt, you made me feel so old. Took me almost a minute to finally get the drift of your replies. Don't know if my memory is starting to fail, I've matured too much, I've given up, or what. All I know is that if the same question was brought up in apprentice class in 1969 it would have been an hour before that class got under control again.
Ron
Posted By: Gloria Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/23/04 01:51 PM
How many forum posters does it take to post about nipples? [Linked Image]

Ps, what's a nipple?
Posted By: NORCAL Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/23/04 02:38 PM
Angelo licensed the Westinghouse name and guess where most of their products come from: China!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/23/04 02:54 PM
Gloria,

This is a Nipple:

[Linked Image from tlc-direct.co.uk]

Bill
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/24/04 01:50 AM
Oh, if I only knew how to post a picture of Janet Jackson! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gloria Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/24/04 09:17 AM
Sorry, and the hickey?
(Also if you would let me out, what these are for?)
Posted By: Gloria Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/24/04 01:51 PM
I can feel that the nipple should go into the hole on the wall, and it possibly has an inner thread too.
The other should be the plastic one that also goes in the wall to hold the screw?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/24/04 02:43 PM
Gloria,

The discussion here is about parts used in hanging light fixtures. Here is a picture of some:

[Linked Image from aubuchonhardware.com]

Bill
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/24/04 05:01 PM
The hickey is the bracket made out of a piece of flat steel.

Bent so it looks like a C. Holes at each end, threaded so it can screw over a nipple.

It's the item all the way to the right in this picture.

[Linked Image from ts.smoothcorp.com]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 11-24-2004).]
Posted By: walrus Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/24/04 08:37 PM
If someone says hickey to me, I think of this
[img]http://198.247.193.8/wwwroot/greenlee/WallyTest/images/18103.JPG [/img]

I had no idea it was a lighting fixture part
Posted By: Spark Master Flash Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/26/04 02:12 PM
When you said hickey, I first thought of that mark I left on my girlfriend's neck the other night. Left me wondering why in the world you'd be looking for hickeys in an electrical forum.

Then, after considerable reflection, I thought of a conduit bending hickey, and realized the fiscal absurdity of including one in a light kit. If it was me, I'd rather just get a normal 90 degree bender with my light kit.

Then I saw the pictures.

Thanks for the info! Next time a girl asks me for a hickey, I think it will be a lot cheaper to give her one from a light kit. You've saved me a FORTUNE!
Posted By: Gloria Re: hickeys and nipples - 11/26/04 06:22 PM
<off> you surely have bad influences from women. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums