ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk Stating the obvious - 09/19/01 12:10 AM
Is it just me, or do you guys find some of the warning notices these days really annoying? I'm thinking of the ones that assume everyone is a total idiot.

Recently I installed a new electric oven. There was a tag on it which actually read "Caution: Oven gets hot during baking."

Gee, thanks for telling me, Mr. Manufacturer. I might have mistaken it for a refrigerator otherwise!
Posted By: sparky Re: Stating the obvious - 09/19/01 12:22 AM
LOL !
Do your tea cups have the 'Caution-HOT' like our coffee cups everywhere here?

seriously though,
we are probably one of the worst offenders of oversimplified intructions and disclaimers , due to our litigate nature.

Many a darwinian has retired wealthy here having won a case on what normal humans would consider embarassing to present publicly.

Me?
i'm sure the doorlactch on my microwave can be accidently defeated long enough to try to use as a hair dryer... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Stating the obvious - 09/19/01 12:24 AM
Paul,

Yes!
No doubt a result of our over-litigeous society.

I hope that you didn't miss the picture that shows that you can't stand on the door when it's open!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Dallas Re: Stating the obvious - 09/19/01 12:26 AM
That "little ol'lady from Pasadena" that sued McDonalds for the hot coffee in her lap has the fast food places putting the message "Caution: contents hot" on their hot coffee cups (in three languages).

Well, no kidding. If I got COLD coffee, I'd drive back around and tell them about it!!
Posted By: mickky Re: Stating the obvious - 09/19/01 01:59 AM
"Shin pads will not protect any part of the body they do not cover"
Posted By: pauluk Re: Stating the obvious - 09/19/01 11:08 AM
Ah, glad to see it's not just me then! I like your examples.

I'm afraid that the litigation is getting bad here as well. Yes, all the styrofoam coffee cups in McDonald's here now have the "Caution: Contents hot" warning on them - Only in English though. I wonder if I could get them to serve a milk shake in one & then sue them because the contents are cold??!

I bought a rotary pipe cutter a while ago. The packaging said "Warning: Do not rotate on finger."

The ultimate statement of the blindingly obvious was the microwave-ready meal with a notice which read "Caution: Contents may be hot after heating." Duh.....
Posted By: electure Re: Stating the obvious - 09/26/01 12:26 PM
Saw a great one yesterday while connecting up a CNC machine from Japan. It had a dedicated 25KVA 480x200V transformer with warning label that showed and read:
Exclamation Point - "Falling Down, Corner" (do not drop)
Fire symbol - "No Over Road" (overload)
Shower head - "No Water, Huminity"

It came in a crate that was originally sent to
"Indiana...Polis" [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 09-26-2001).]
Posted By: Tom Re: Stating the obvious - 09/26/01 11:18 PM
How about hairdryers marked " Do not use this appliance while sleeping".

I heard a comedy routine on the radio a while back that covered this topic pretty well. Sorry I can't remember the examples, but I do remember that it brought tears to my eyes, I was laughing so hard.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Stating the obvious - 09/26/01 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Tom:
How about hairdryers marked " Do not use this appliance while sleeping".

They've gotta be kidding! Who would try to use a hair dryer while asleep?!

I'm just waiting for the handbooks with a new car to have a warning on pg. 1, something like: "Caution: Driving into walls may be dangerous" or "Warning: Hitting other vehicles can be hazardous to your heath."

Maybe they should include something about not driving with your eyes shut.....
Posted By: pauluk Re: Stating the obvious - 09/27/01 10:19 AM
Just been reminded of another one (non electrical):

On all our bottles of sleeping tablets now - "Caution: May cause drowsiness."
© ECN Electrical Forums