ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 11:11 AM
I love to fish our rivers and the sea here.
I just wondered, you guys in the US and around the world must fish.
What do you go after?.
Have you been sucessful?.
What is the best "eating" fish where you come from?.
Also what is your best tackle?.
Go ahead, make everyone's day!.

Mike. :}
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 11:14 AM
BTW, any Fly fishermen here?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 12:24 PM
Pacific Salmon, and occasionaly Rock Fish.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 01:11 PM
Thanks for hittiing it off Mark!.
I think that the best part of the fishing is just sitting out on the water and the calm of the water.
That is of course, secondary to the play and the eating of the captured bootie.
Fish is the best when you catch it yourself and fillet it and then on to the BBQ it goes!.
BTW, Teach your kids to fish, or the art will die.
It's also the best thing you can teach your children, it's a bonding thing, any father will tell you that.
Oops sorry, I don't have children. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 11-06-2004).]
Posted By: CharlieE Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 02:03 PM
I remember going with dad along the river one evening after he came home from work. He said it was OK for me to be noisy and to throw rocks; he was going to sit under a tree and take a nap. Dad had two bottles of beer, his line in the water, and sitting with his back against a tree. After a while, the beers were gone and dad was asleep.

When we got ready to leave, dad pulled his line out of the water and all he had on it was a sinker and a bobber . . . no hook. When I asked him about it, he said he didn't want the fish to disturb him. I still think he had the right idea for that day. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 02:15 PM
Oddly enough Charlie, before the days of children being able to sue thier parents.
At 8 years old, I had a fishing rod, I was made.
I also shot hares and rabbits at the age of 16 with a .22 rifle, but fishing was my game.
We used to merrily go down to the local river and (shock, horror) catch our own fish.
This was done after school and I made a great number of friends doing this, guys and girls, that I still know today, very well.
We used to go home at just on dark and fillet the fish, and into the freezer they'd usually end up.
Simple times then, Eh!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 11-06-2004).]
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 02:22 PM
mostly small mouth bass here. When I get the chance to go saltwater fishing, it is usually for flounder.
Posted By: CharlieE Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 02:34 PM
Trumpy, I have decided that you must be about the same age as me. I was born in 1942 and graduated from high school in 1960. Given your comments, I am betting you are within five years of me. [Linked Image]

Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 02:42 PM
Hmm, Charlie,
Can we stretch 5 years out to 30?.
I was born in '72.
We still had real rules here back in the 80's.
The 90's sent us down the track, I aren't kidding!.
Posted By: CharlieE Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 04:18 PM
WOW! Was I really off base, sorry. [Linked Image] There were some clues that led me to believe you were in the era of the '55 Chevy, Blackjack chewing gum, and Elvis. [Linked Image]

Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 05:08 PM
[Linked Image] Blackjack chewing gum!! I remember getting that and Clove gum! I always have to think about where I've remembered the smell of cloves when I cook with them. (To see the chewing gum look at http://www.groovycandies.com/NewCandyDetailFrFe.asp?CandyNumber=2299 ). I'm somewhere between Charlie & Trumpy, I think - 1962.

I've fished most of my life, too, although not as frequently as it sounds like you have, Trumpy. We mostly have rainbow trout around here and I used to hate eating it but the catching was always fun.

I'm torn between saying brook trout or halibut for best tasting catch. I caught an 11" brookie that was very tasty and my hubby, Ed, went to Alaska a while back and brought home halibut which we all have enjoyed.

One of my brothers is a fly-fisherman and used to enjoy it a lot. He knew he could no longer ignore his torn rotator cuff when casting would just about take him to his knees with pain. Definitely needed fixed!

My grandparents used to winter in Mexico and we had great fun visiting them in Juaymas and going deep-sea fishing. They'd come in from a day out and hand over the excess from their huge haul to a local orphanage.

Great memories! Thanks, Mike!
Posted By: capt al Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 05:47 PM
Hi Mike, I love to fish. Mostly fresh water Large Mouth Bass. I have a 17' bass boat I get out as much as possible. Very enjoyable, and gets me away from work. I either go out with my 12 year old daughter or 75 year old father in law. Just put the boat away for the winter.

Al
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 08:12 PM
WOW! Was I really off base, sorry
Well Charlie, if you don't start a law-suit, I won't!. [Linked Image]
I'm 32 and I have the twin trade thing (Line-man + Electrician) going for me.
But could we please keep this thread as it was meant to be, about Fishing. [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/06/04 11:50 PM
Best thing about fishing is beer, and watching your friends get sea-sick.
Posted By: CRM Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/07/04 12:34 AM
Mike, in my area I like to fish for northern pike, perch , or trout. As far as tackle goes, for pike nothing beats a spinner bait, for perch or trout, a small jig with some sort of bait on the hook. In the summer after a hard day at work, nothing beats relaxing in the boat fishing.
Posted By: electure Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 11/09/04 03:36 AM
Who, me??
I would rather fish than nearly anything on earth.
Matter of fact, Mike, I fish in the same pond as you do. Just on the other bank [Linked Image]
The water has always held a fascination for me; it's never the same 2 times. You see it now, and it will never be the same again. One of God's greatest wonders.

Salt Water:
Tuna, Yellowtail, White, Calico, Bay, or Sand Bass. Halibut, Rockfish, Crab, Lobster-ad infinitum
Fresh Water:
Trout, Catfish, Bass, Crappie.

If it lives in the water. I'll try to catch it, and I usually enjoy good success.
Flyfish for the trout sometimes.
(favorite reels are a pair of Penns, a 146 and a 505, that I've "hotrodded" with aircraft quality aluminum frame, sideplates, and upgraded ball bearings, made by a company called Accurate.)

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll want to quit working"

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-08-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 07/19/05 11:16 AM
Scott (Electure),
Matter of fact, Mike, I fish in the same pond as you do. Just on the other bank
Mate I'm hearing you loud and clear there!> [Linked Image]
At the end of this week, I'm heading out from the coast of Timaru here to fish off of Waimate.
A good source of Deep Sea Blue Cod, a really good eating fish.
You can also get the odd Snapper, do you catch them up that far Scott?.
It's also a good part of the world for sharks.
I've dived in the same waters as Sharks and if you don't annoy them, they won't tear you to bits.
I still wear a chain-mail outer on my dive suit though. [Linked Image]
Sharks seem to like Cray-fish as much as what us Humans do.
Mmm Crunchy! [Linked Image]
But, who here can't fillet a fish?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 07/19/05 11:59 AM
Wild sea-bass, (not the fish-farmed crap, that tastes like blotting paper), is the best tasting fish to me. We used to beach-fish them at Chesil, using peeler crab. What a fighter that fish is in the surf! Out bait fishing in the Solent, fresh mackerel take some beating for taste and good sport too, fished with very light tackle, not hauled in on 50lb line and a string of feathers. We used to cook them in foil over the outboard exhaust pipe. 2 hours later on shore, that elusive taste has gone stale. On my favourite list too is sea-trout. I also like oysters, though not strictly speaking a fish. I had a couple of dozen from my old friend Georges this Xmas, big ones he gathered in Brittany. Roasted in the shell over the embers of a fire till they open, absolutement impec!

Alan

PS. Only one of them worked!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 07/19/05 01:02 PM
Alan,
I was up in the Three Kings Islands back in 1991, I got hold of a rather large Marlin.
But, you don't catch them fish to bring them on board, just tag them and then send them away.
I did get a LOT of Yellow Fin Tuna though!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: gideonr Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 07/19/05 01:54 PM
Go fishing sometimes on the burn for wild Rainbow Trout after a thunderstorm when the burn will be in spate. Just got my shotgun license too.

BTW Trumpy, I was born in 1970. You do come across as mature and well grounded in your posts.
Posted By: poorboy Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 07/20/05 01:27 AM
Fishing and ice fishing are a real big part of my leisure time. I fish from a canoe for brook trout, landlocked salmon, and smallmouth bass. I'm smack dab in the middle of the state of Maine, and surrounded by ponds of all kinds.

I love fly fishing, but don't get out and do it as much as I did 20 yrs. ago. Tie flies also. Love to wade and fish rivers with dry flies for trout and salmon, but this means traveling a hundred miles for quality fishing, and that makes it hard.

Built my first ice shanty last winter, a 4 ft by 8 ft shack that allows me to stay warm on the ice.

Fishing is a real great sport, a good stress reliever!
Posted By: livetoride Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 07/20/05 01:48 AM
Fish story:
When I was in the Air Force a southern boy (staff Sargent) asked me what the biggest bass I had ever caught. I said #60 he said bull shi$$ I responded born and raised in San Diego 12yrs old, day boat off the coast, Black Sea Bass. He did not say what kind of bass. Put me in the Old Boy's club. He never forgave me...It was worth it. Rod
biggest fish #182 marlin
biggest fresh water #23 Salmon
best fighting fish #23 Steelhead.
best eating bluegill
most caught catfish/crappie
most fun walleye. (maybe do to the Schnapps)
Rod
Posted By: GamecockEE Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 07/21/05 11:30 AM
Red Drum, spotted seatrout & flounder, are king in my part of the world. As far as the best eating, a fresh caught flounder is hard to beat. Used to fresh water fish years ago, but haven't been in a while. When I quit fishing in the fall, I pick-up deer hunting, dove shooting, and end the year duck hunting. Start all over in the spring beginning with Turkey hunting.
Posted By: LK Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 07/21/05 10:10 PM
We also like to fish our rivers and the sea here, it usually requires some schedule changes, to balance the work load, https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/001033.html
Posted By: Gloria Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 07/29/05 10:58 AM
Hi Mike & all!

When I was young, we used to spend two weeks of the summer by the lake Balaton. That is the best place in Hungary, and we were fishing there a lot! Usually with sweetcorn and we took some bream, small carp (USA:blackhead minnow), and other small fish. They are very tasty, but full of fishbone. :~)))
Posted By: Gloria Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 07/29/05 11:00 AM
LOL, Electure!
Posted By: Gloria Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 08/08/05 12:13 PM
Hi All!

Just been out fishing yesterday, and this fella was the first, we waited only for an hour for it. The bigger came after, but we weren't able to keep it for food, so we let it go free.
http://w3.externet.hu/~alterego/Beaf/Peti.jpg

my b/f is on the pic, (beside the fish)
Posted By: IanR Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 08/08/05 01:08 PM
Trumpy,
I agree we need to teach our kids to apprciate fishing. My little girl loves it, only thing is it's kind of embarrasing to out fished by a 9 year old. [Linked Image]
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 08/08/05 02:02 PM
Cody, 10, just went fishing this past weekend. Photo to follow (via email). He had a lot of fun as you can tell!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 08/08/05 06:04 PM
We get out in the boat almost every day but I am really just a fish watcher.
I used to fish a lot.
My wife says I am "air fishing" when I see that big snook cruising the edges of the mangrove and throw an immaginary "spook" at it.
I would probably let it go anyway.
Posted By: Admin Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 08/09/05 01:07 AM
They caught mostly rainbow trout and a couple of brown trout.

Thanks,
BuggabooBren, Cody's mom
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 08/09/05 01:39 AM
Air fishing!!! I love it!!!
Posted By: makokiller Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 08/15/05 11:45 PM
well, as you can tell by the name I like to fish for mako shark, I fish out of ocean city md. also fish for yellow fin tuna and dolfin,, yum yum, and it is nice to snag a nice white marlin too.... I won the mako tournament in 2001 with a 268lb mako, nice days work...
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 08/16/05 11:25 AM
Bren,
All the best of luck to Cody, my friend.
We are heading out on a sea-faring boat this weekend for some Snapper and a bit of Deep Sea Blue Cod.
As any EC/fisherman will agree here, it's not the fishing, it's the relaxation and the time away from land.
Nothing settles you down like fishing does.
That could be why us guys have stuck with it all these years.
Fishing Rules!!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 08/16/05 10:59 PM
Never went boat fishing after a scare in the Western Channel, fishing out of Brixham in 1979, for the winter cod run. An ill-omen before we embarked, as the boat we, (the New Inn Sea-Angling and Gentlemens' Ale-Swilling Club), had originally chartered was now resting peacefully on the bottom out there somewhere, after her winches pulled her under with the nets snagged in a wreck, ( probably a WWII bomber, there are hundreds out there which didn't quite make it back). We'd hardly cleared the lee off Berry head when it blew up rough, and I mean rough, Channel style, straight off the Atlantic. Skip had to keep her bow into the seas, so we ploughed on unable to turn back. Eventually, it eased enough for us to turn, one second cresting enormous Atlantic waves, the next at the bottom of a huge dark grey pit in the ocean. Sick? I never knew you could be so ill, or turn so green! The skipper and crew treated it like a quick trip up the Thames from the Embankment! "T'was only a bitty squoorll", says skipper in his Devon burl, and most of the daft 'app'orths ( halfpennyworth, a cretin ) went out again! Not me and Jummy, we went 'trawling' for a pub, and found us a nice wooden settle by a roaring fire with a couple of pints of the landlord's best medicinal ale, followed by fish and chips, mushy peas, bread and butter and a mug of tea to replenish our digestive tracts.
I got some beach casting gear after that!
Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 08-16-2005).]
Posted By: Gloria Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 06/13/06 03:07 PM
I guess this is high time to tell your summer tales, NZ and Australia. [Linked Image]
Posted By: mister h Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 06/14/06 01:28 AM
Hi,
Just went through the postings, best reading for anybody having a bad day and I don't fish.

thanks,
Ken
Posted By: ExpressQuote Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 06/14/06 02:17 AM
Reading all these fine posts, reminds me of when I was about 10. Dad took me out saltwater fishing dropped the lines down to the bottom and then pulled them back up a few spins of the reel. After a couple hours out on the boat, my line got a hit.

Dad had to help me real it in! Was a Red Snapper - I was the happiest kid alive - it was huge! It was almost as long as I was tall...

When we got home, Dad fileted it and Mom made a batter dipped it and we had the best fish and chips ever!!!

Also enjoyed fishing for trout - both from a boat in the summer and from the ice in the winter. Done a little fly fishing also.

Great memories! Thanks Trumpy
Posted By: mister h Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 06/14/06 02:52 AM
Trumpy,

Just wanted to say good website. I'm glad I found it.
Ken
Posted By: Gloria Re: OT:Are you a fishing type? - 06/26/06 10:08 AM
I went to my favourite place Sunday to cool down a bit (35C).

There was a little, narrow island "tongue" in the lake, I choose that place to stay for a while and sunbath.
The water was great, I wish I was there now.

When I went back, on the little bridge hung a sign, saying: "we are fishing, do not disturb".
I tought, if I'm the faster, I'll put out a sign next time: "I'm sunbathing, do not disturb". [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums