ECN Forum
Posted By: Lee can someone help me out with this blue print - 10/31/04 12:42 AM
http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=B650D5CC4E57DCAB2772359E09F0B0FA

i just want your thoughts on how you would approach this...

i'll be running conduit from the J-box on the right side straight to the panel. I will also run conduit through the 4-ways.

...now im a rookie at this but i have a good idea of what im doing. your help would be much appreciated. thanks.
You first. How about drawing some wiring on that plan.

-Hal
I get "file transfer unavailable"
Posted By: LK Re: can someone help me out with this blue print - 10/31/04 04:02 AM
What Plan?
Posted By: Lee Re: can someone help me out with this blue print - 10/31/04 04:21 AM
here it is again. oh and its commercial
http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=38C3660ECF00BF9F63A9FC903BD78714
Posted By: e57 Re: can someone help me out with this blue print - 10/31/04 11:28 AM
Hard to know what is going on there with out knowing which swithes will control what, or what the circuit wires are.

Phase, nuetral, travellers, switch wire, etc. At first glance it seems there may be an extra wire on the 4-way side, not enough on the 3-way side. But can't tell really.
Lee, welcome!

I see you're a student. You wouldn't be asking us to do your homework, would you??

I don't see how the 4 ways are connected to the lighting in the hallway.

Although it's only my personal thing, I prefer not to run the travellers through the downlights (as in the large room)
I never use "J" boxes if at all possible to omit them. There is no reason for them in this plan.
4-way switches are used when there are more than 2 switching locations, but the first and last switch in such a run are 3-way switches.
The number of conductors between 4-way switches is three, not 4 as shown, but then the switching sequence is not really indicated. Maybe this wiring is required.
I would not have quite so many switches as shown, and I would place them differently. It is customary to indicate with lower case letters (a,b,c) which light fixtures are associated with which switches.
I'd like to second electures motion on doing your own homework, talk with your teacher.

I also agree that from a practical standpoint, it's simpler to tie all the lights together with a pair of wires run either to one of the switches (typically one of the two 3-way switches, not the 4-way switches) or a junction box. However, your teacher may be looking for a little more imagination.

If you haven't seen it yet, look at some wiring diagrams of 3-way switching, then compare to 4-way switching. It's really just adding the 4-way (or two or three 4-ways) into the two travellers of the 3-ways.

Stick with it, it's the best trade around.

Dave
i also get file transfer unavailable, even trying both links...
I assume you redrew the drawing to include some wiring- I can't get it either.

I'll assume that the hall lights are controlled by two of the 3-ways (at each entrance to the LR) and all the 4-ways. The other two 3-ways control the living room lights. (I thought you said this was commercial, not that it matters.)

I agree also that you don't need the J boxes. I would feed the switches on the right of the drawing from the panel. From there run two sets of travellers from each 3-way + neutral to the 3 way on the left and all the 4-ways ending up at the 3-ways on the left. From those switches feed your lights which are simply tied together starting at one end of each group.

-Hal
I can't get it either. [Linked Image]

Can you e-mail it to Electure or myself

Roger
Niether of the links work for me.
Hmm. [Linked Image]
I can't get it either.......
Ditto. "File unavailable" [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums